Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chefmikedarracott56

RECIPE: My familys Cornish Pasty recipe

My family�s Cornish pasty recipe, I was born in the Cornish town of Newlyn near Penzance Cornwall England, my mum brought me up on pasties, the tin miners in days of old, use to have a different type of pasty. Their pasties were made by having half the pasty one end with meat and vegetables, then a piece of pastry across the middle would section off the dessert aprt, say apple pie or something else sweet. The pasty below is the one my mother taught me to make 46 odd years ago. Enjoy chef Mike Darracott proud to be Cornish.

Ingredients

9 Oz of Swede or (turnip) diced

16 Oz of potato�s

17 Oz of diced beef

7 Oz of diced onion

1 Oz of butter

Salt & pepper to taste

1 medium egg

17 Oz plain flour

5 Oz of margarine or 3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 Oz butter

Around 8 fluid ounces of cold water but add as you go making sure that the dough is not to wet.

Method

Knead the fats into the flour, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add water and mix in a food mixer, or can be kneaded by hand into dough. Tip about adding water, add slowly until you reach a workable dough that you can roll out as pastry, if too wet add a little more flour, if too dry add a little more water. Now place the dough in your refrigerator, for an hour or two, next, take out of fridge, and divide into 4 equal dough balls. Roll out each dough ball into a circle, around about tea plate size.

Chop all the vegetable�s quite fine, and the meat bite - size; mix them all together in a bowl. Next place handfuls of the mix in the centre of your pastry circle, add salt & pepper, and the butter on top of the mix. Fold the pastry over the mix, and crimp the sides together, or just seal the sides with a fork or something, moisten the sides of the dough with a little water to help it stick together before crimping. Preheat the oven 220C/425F, finally, whisk the egg, and brush a little on top of each pasty. Finally place on baking sheets, cover with tinfoil, bake for 30 minutes, then take off tinfoil, and bake for another 30 min�s or until cooked.

Serves 4

Enjoy Chef Mike Darracott

More of my recipes can be found on my blog on my website

at chefmikedarracott.com

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville