Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: My familys Cornish Pasty recipe

Posted by chefmikedarracott56 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 5:17

My family�s Cornish pasty recipe, I was born in the Cornish town of Newlyn near Penzance Cornwall England, my mum brought me up on pasties, the tin miners in days of old, use to have a different type of pasty. Their pasties were made by having half the pasty one end with meat and vegetables, then a piece of pastry across the middle would section off the dessert aprt, say apple pie or something else sweet. The pasty below is the one my mother taught me to make 46 odd years ago. Enjoy chef Mike Darracott proud to be Cornish.

Ingredients

9 Oz of Swede or (turnip) diced

16 Oz of potato�s

17 Oz of diced beef

7 Oz of diced onion

1 Oz of butter

Salt & pepper to taste

1 medium egg

17 Oz plain flour

5 Oz of margarine or 3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 Oz butter

Around 8 fluid ounces of cold water but add as you go making sure that the dough is not to wet.

Method

Knead the fats into the flour, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add water and mix in a food mixer, or can be kneaded by hand into dough. Tip about adding water, add slowly until you reach a workable dough that you can roll out as pastry, if too wet add a little more flour, if too dry add a little more water. Now place the dough in your refrigerator, for an hour or two, next, take out of fridge, and divide into 4 equal dough balls. Roll out each dough ball into a circle, around about tea plate size.

Chop all the vegetable�s quite fine, and the meat bite - size; mix them all together in a bowl. Next place handfuls of the mix in the centre of your pastry circle, add salt & pepper, and the butter on top of the mix. Fold the pastry over the mix, and crimp the sides together, or just seal the sides with a fork or something, moisten the sides of the dough with a little water to help it stick together before crimping. Preheat the oven 220C/425F, finally, whisk the egg, and brush a little on top of each pasty. Finally place on baking sheets, cover with tinfoil, bake for 30 minutes, then take off tinfoil, and bake for another 30 min�s or until cooked.

Serves 4

Enjoy Chef Mike Darracott

More of my recipes can be found on my blog on my website
at chefmikedarracott.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: My familys Cornish Pasty recipe

It looks so good!
I was taught to make Cornish pasties by my mother in law, who grew up in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
She used beef suet, butter, salt, flour and water for the paste and cubed beef and cubes potatoes and onions with butter salt and pepper for the filling.
It is very difficult to find the hard kidney beef suet in our area so I haven't made any since DH has coronary bypass surgery.
They were so tasty!

o

Your recipe sounds good Mike, I will have to try it when it cools off here. Carol, pasties are so popular in the UP of Michigan, we have little indie stores around Detroit that sell pasties 'made from a UP recipe.' Up north, they serve them w/catsup, I prefer canned (yes its true canned) gravy. Once on a trip in the UP we bought a couple pasties & kept driving until we came to a scenic rest stop w/a picnic table overlooking Lk. Superior, had a lovely lunch that day.
I bet it would nice to enjoy one in Penzance Cornwall England!

Have never heard of the divider strip of pastry & a sweet part, that' very interesting. Oh, and around here, that pasty better have swede not turnip :). My Scots Dad always called swede 'tumshe' I've never met anyone who used that word, not sure if it's spelled right or even a real word.

o

My father in law called pasties with turnips or rutabegas in them Finlander pasties.
I like hot salsa with my pasties but we had them in the UP with brown gravy and they were so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here