Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Choc Bread Pudding ??

Posted by iris_gal (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 2:47

Going thru an old Bon Appetit I thought this may be good. Since I have never tasted bread pudding can anyone give me hints on which type of bread to use. And for coarse crumbs do you shred by hand? TIA

Chocolate Bread Pudding

2 C. milk
3 oz. unsweetened choc. chopped
3 C. fresh coarse white breadcrumbs
4 eggs
3/4 C. sugar
2 oz. unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. whipping cream
1/4 C. Kahlua

Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter 10-cup souffle dish.
Scald milk; reduce heat to low; add chocolate & stir til melted.
Place breadcrumbs in large bowl & pour in melted choc. mixture.
Whisk together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon & salt.
Whisk in cream and Kahlua. Pour over breadcrumb mixture.
Stir to combine. Transfer to souffle dish. Bake about 1 hour.
Pudding will be puffed up and center almost set. Serve warm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Choc Bread Pudding ??

Any kind of white or egg bread would do. You could do it by hand but it would be easier to pulse in a processor.

o

Iris, I've never before seen a bread pudding recipe that called for breadcrumbs.

Most recipes tell you to tear the bread in small pieces. And to soak them in the milk/egg mixture for awhile, so that the bread actually absorbs the custard.

Traditionally, bread pudding is made with white or egg breads, as Ginger notes. But any bread will work---after all, bread pudding is just a way of using up semi-stale bread in the first place. And if you're going to turn it into crumbs, as in the above recipe, what possible difference can it make?

o

Thanks for the input. I'm going to test this on friends.

o

Bread Pudding is one of my absolute favourites and I've never heard of using bread crumbs either. I make a chocolate bread pudding using a loaf of homemade chocolate bread.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here