brant_gw

LOOKING for: Pulled Pork

brant
17 years ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for pulled pork. Thanks

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

A friend from another site posted this one & it's really good.
    NORTH CAROLINA PORK BARBECUE

1 (4 to 5lb) Boston butt
    3 T brown sugar
    2 T dry mustard
    1 t salt
    1 large onion, chopped
    1-1/2 cups water
    1/4 t ground red pepper
    1 cup vinegar
    1/4 t black pepper
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce

Place roast in roasting pan. Combine remaining ingredients, stir well. Pour mixture over roast. Cover and bake at 325 for 5 to 6 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove from oven, let cool.
    Remove roast from sauce, place sauce in fridge until fat congeals. Skim fat and discard. Remove meat and shred. Return meat to sauce in pan and stir well. Cover and bake at 325 for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. (Grannyj)

This one was posted by Earl here a while back. It sounds really good but I don't have a smoker:

Pulled Pork BBQ
    8-10 lb. Boston butt
    Season it with pepper and seasoning salt, and smoke it for about 4 hours then remove from smoker/gill and put in oven at 225-250 degrees for about 10-12 hours until internal temp reaches 205 degrees. Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes. Then use two large forks to pull meat apart. Have buns and good BBQ sauce ready. That's 'simple.'

I would bet that Theresa has a good one, too.

• pat_t
    17 years ago

Ginger - that first recipe is mine. It was published in one of the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks a couple of years ago called "From Grandma's Kitchen Cookbook".

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Is it really? Well, a gal called GrannyJ recommended it & I love it. Thanks for a great recipe.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

just converted my, boston raised, friend, now living in the south, to pulled pork

she and family loved it
    none of her family had ever had it before this summer

• joyfl
    17 years ago

Pat and Ginger, I am GrannyJ. Pat, I have used this recipe
    so often I guess I forgot where I got it. I apologize.
    You and I used to communicate during hurricanes awhile ago.

• pat_t
    17 years ago

No problem Joy. I forgot where in FL you live. I'm still in Panama City.

• alison
    17 years ago

I love pulled pork, but about a year ago I discovered you can cook the browned pork in a pressure cooker in about an hour.

Now I love pulled pork a whole lot more often!

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I make mine in the crock pot. I use lots of dry rub seasoning, just a drop of liquid smoke and cook it on LO for 8 - 10 hours. Pull it, remove any fat and add your fav BBQ sauce. Right now we like Cattlemens Smokehouse, but pick any recipe of brand you like.

Alexa

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

I also use a crock pot. I've just started making pulled pork, and I don't always plan ahead, so I don't always have the right cuts of meat in the house. I cooked it this weekend with pork chops (on the bone). There are only two of us, so I'll put the chops or in the crock pot, cover with BBQ sauce that I always doctor somehow (this time I added molasses sugar, onion, and dry mustard), and then cook 8-10 hours until it pulls apart with a fork. (discarding the bones of course!)

I think I'll try some of the above versions as well!!

• khandi
    16 years ago

Can't remember where I got this recipe, but I've made it twice and we really liked it.

3 lb pork shoulder roast, skin and fat removed
    1 cup chili sauce (or barbecue sauce)
    1½ tsp cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp molasses (or 2 Tbsp brown sugar)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 onion, chopped

Place roast in shallow casserole dish or in a roasting pan. Combine remaining ingredients; spread over and around roast. Cover and roast in a 325ºF oven for 3½ - 4 hours.

Remove roast to a cutting board. With 2 forks, pull meat into shreds, discarding any fat. Transfer shredded pork to a casserole dish. Pour cooking liquid into a measuring cup and remove any fat. Pour degreased liquid over pork. Cover and bake another 30 minutes.

To serve, layer meat onto Kaiser rolls and top with coleslaw if desired.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler