Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

LOOKING for: Crabmeat appetizers

ruthanna_gw
16 years ago

My DH came home tonight with a 2 lb. can of lump blue crabmeat. Coincidentally, we are going to a party on Saturday where I am supposed to be bringing an appetizer.

I'd like to use the crabmeat. It's a big party of 75+ guests so I can't do something like crabmeat cocktails like I'd do for a dinner party.

I'd make my crabmeat and brie cheese phyllo triangles but it's too hot and humid to work with phyllo. Any ideas for something else? Maybe mini-crab quiches or something like that? A special crab dip? Snow peas stuffed with crabmeat? Help!!

Comments (15)

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

With only two pounds of crab and more than 75 people I would look to stretch the crab.

One way would be crab/rice balls. Prepare sushi rice. Mix in the crab. Season to taste. Form into small balls, roll in breadcrumps, and deep fry.

Personally, I would serve these with an avocado hummus as a dipping sauce.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

California rolls are refreshing this time of year. I always prefer them with real crab.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Mini crab cakes area nice appetizer. I cook them ahead of time and then just reheat in the oven. Serve with a homemade tartar sauce.

I also make a nice crab dip, very easy but tasty. Its a hot dip though, may not work for a large crowd.

1/4 pound of crab
    1 cup of real mayo
    1 cup of grated aged white cheddar cheese

Mix together . Bake at 325 until hot and bubbly, about 15- 20 mins.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Ruthanna , sorry that resipe should read 1/2 pound crab.

I was converting from metric and screwed up...250 grams = 1/2 pound

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I LOVE West Indies salad!
    Always great for a party

Ingredients
    1 pound lump crabmeat, picked
    1 medium-size sweet onion, diced
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ice cubes
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Assorted crackers
    Garnish: fresh chopped parsley

Preparation
    1. Toss together first 7 ingredients gently. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours. Serve with assorted crackers, and garnish, if desired.

Yield
    Makes 3 1/2 cups

• san_
    16 years ago

i agree with glenda--that's a really good salad dish! i copied if from ginger a few years ago and have made it many times since, along with cookingrvc's crab cakes or a similar recipe from cindy (ny). makes more than enough for just the 2 of us! so what did you end up making?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I don't understand the ice cubes. Do you eat them? Are they crushed?

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Cannot explain why the ice. I've been making this salad since the 60's.
    There's some that say ice water. Most say ice cubes.

Here's another recipe:

West indies salad
    Categories: Appetizer
    Yield: 4 servings
    1 pounds Crabmeat
    3 tablespoon Chopped onion
    1 x Salt and pepper
    4 ounce Olive oil
    4 ounce Vinegar
    4 ounce Ice water

Put onions in bowl, add meat, salt, and pepper. Then oil, vinegar, and ice water in that order, let set at least 1 hour before serving

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

I too have a bunch of crab in the freezer and this sounds interesting for summer entertaining. Is it rather like a spread/dip to eat with crackers or could you spoon it into lettuce cups as a salad...or both!

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Restaurants, here, serve it in individual serving bowls, with crackers.

At parties, when serving, I put it in a large bowl with assorted crackers, and guests just serve themselves on their individual plates with the other goodies from table.

You could put it into lettuce cups, but you need the crackers.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Meant to add, if serving at a party, be sure and have a slotted spoon, so it can drain some of the juices.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Mix with equal amt of softened whole cream cheese, 1 minced onion per lb. 1 T hosrseradish per lb, fresh lemon juice, 3 T milk or cream per lb. Mix together. Spread in greased quiche dish. Sprinkle crumbled bacon or sliced almonds on top *or half bacon, other side almonds) Bake at 350 for 25 min or till lightly browned and bubbled. Let set 5 min. Serve as a spread for crackers. Easy and always a hit.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Glenda sounds perfect for a Saturday cruise around the lake!

• ruthanna_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get back here to reply. I liked gardenlad's idea but I didn't have enough oil on hand for deep frying. So I ended up making a big batch of baked spinach balls and mixed the crabmeat in with them. I served with a mustard dill sauce and tartar sauce with homemade zucchini relish in it. There were none left.

Thanks for all the ideas. Crabmeat is one of our favorite ingredients for summer meals.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Ruthanna, I love your spinach balls and crabmeat sounds like a great addition to them. Great idea.