User
13 years ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for just regular

vegetable soup? Nothing fancy or odd, just good tasteing. Thanks

Comments (6)

• svenetos
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Try this Tomato and Veggie Soup: http://www.recipe4living.com/recipes/tomato_and_veggie_soup_2.htm

Ingredients

* 2 Tbs. water
    * 3 C. tomato juice
    * 2 stalks celery, chopped
    * 1 carrot, chopped
    * 1 tsp. black pepper

Directions

Put 2 Tbs. of water in a small boiling pot. Then, put on stove at medium heat. Let sit for 30 seconds and add tomato juice. Let cook for 2 minutes, then add carrot and celery. Wait another 1 minutes and sprinkle some black pepper. Stir and enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato and Veggie Soup

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm still looking if anyone else has one. Something with chunks/slices of carrots, potatoes, okra, green beans, or squash.

• kathyskitchen
    13 years ago

Minestrone is really just an Italian version of veggie soup. The secret of this recipe is following the direction for adding the vegetables. Jo grew up in Little Italy NYC and is a great cook.

Jo Bizzocca's Minestrone

Have all vegetables prepared before cooking

1 cup diced onion

1 cup diced celery

1 cup diced carrots

1 cup frozen green beans

1 cup sliced zucchini

2 cups shredded savoy cabbage

Put 2 T. olive oil in large kettle. Brown 1 cl garlic in oil and remove.

Add onions and saute till transparent. Add vegetables in order given.

Cook each vegetable 2 minutes before adding next vegetable.

Add:

1 15oz. undrained can tomatoes, chopped (I prefer whole canned tomatoes rough chopped to canned diced tomatoes.)

6 cups chicken or vegetable broth

Optional, Add Parmesan rind to soup

Simmer 1 hour, covered

Add,during last 15 minutes of cooking time; do not overcook.

1 can Progresso Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.

Cook small tube macaroni separately and add to soup just before serving.

Ladle into large soup bowls and garnish with the Parmesan.

Serve with Italian Garlic Bread and Caesar Salad

Advance preparation:

Prepare this soup up to the step of adding the beans and pasta; refrigerate in a covered container for up to 3 days.

Just before serving, bring the soup to a boil, add the beans and pasta, and complete according to the recipe.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Vegetable Soup My Way

Note - you can add any veggies or pasta you prefer. This is just my preference. Just be sure to add the ones that take the longest to cook first.

4 Tbsp olive oil or butter
    2 onions, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped
    2 quarts tomatoes
    1 or two quarts water
    *Note - I prefer my vegetable soup to be made with canned tomatoes which have been whirred in a food processor to break up any lumps of tomatoes. Also with water added until you get the taste you want. Some people want it more tomatoey than others. I prefer no chicken broth in my vegetable soup.
    3 potatoes, diced
    1 sm can or 2 fresh ears of corn removed from cob
    1 sm can or 1 cup fresh lima beans
    Lots of celery flakes, or to taste
    salt, pepper to taste

Saute the onion and celery in oil until translucent. Add the tomatoes and enough water to make it to your taste. Add diced potatoes, corn and lima beans. Bring to a boil and add salt and pepper and celery flakes. Cook until veggies are nearly done, then reseason with salt, pepper and celery flakes and finish cooking.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• kathyskitchen
    13 years ago

I'm working on my recipe folder and came across these recipes and thought of you.

Provencal Vegetable Soup Copyright 2005, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved
    6 to 8 servings. Ingredients
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    Â2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
    Â2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 to 4 leeks)
    Â3 cups 1/2-inch-diced unpeeled boiling potatoes (1 pound)
    Â3 cups 1/2-inch-diced carrots (1 pound)
    Â1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
    Â1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Â3 quarts homemade chicken stock or canned broth
    Â1 teaspoon saffron threads
    Â1/2 pound haricots verts, ends removed and cut in 1/2
    Â4 ounces spaghetti, broken in pieces
    Â1 cup Pistou, recipe follows
    ÂFreshly grated Parmesan, for serving
    Directions
    Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot, add the onions, and saute over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the leeks, potatoes, carrots, salt, and pepper and saute over medium heat for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and saffron, bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Add the haricots verts and spaghetti, bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 more minutes.
    To serve, whisk 1/4 cup of the pistou into the hot soup, then season to taste. Depending on the saltiness of your chicken stock, you may need to add up to another tablespoon of salt. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and more pistou.
    Pistou:
    4 large garlic cloves
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    24 large basil leaves
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1/2 cup good olive oil
    Place the garlic, tomato paste, basil, and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor and puree. With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil down the feed tube to make a paste. Pack into a container, pour a film of olive oil on top, and close the lid. Yield: 1 cup

Garden Vegetable Soup Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2004 Serves: 6 to 8 servings
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
    2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
    Kosher salt
    2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
    2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
    2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
    2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
    4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
    2 ears corn, kernels removed
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 to 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher salt. Serve immediately.
    This soup is truly delicious when executed exactly as the recipe states, however, the lack of protein doesn't make it a... particularly filling meal. To remedy this, I simply add a can of great northern beans to the pot, and add a small amount of cooked brown rice to the bowl. It's a delicious and hearty meal prepared this way.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor