Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnflowergal

LOOKING for: Lemon Tea Cookies?

tnflowergal
17 years ago

I'm not sure if that's the name. The recipe is in Better Homes & Garden's Cookbook. I've lost it and my kids keep asking for these cookies. The cookies are soft and have a lemon glaze. Any help?

Comments (10)

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Straight out of my really old BH&G cookbook:

Lemon Tea Cookies
    350º F

1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. shredded lemon peel
    1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. soda
    1/4 tsp. salt

Stir vinegar into milk. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Beat in egg and peel. Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition. Drop from teaspoon 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350º F for 12 to 14 minutes. Remove at once from sheet; brush with
    Lemon Glaze:
    Mix 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice.

Makes 48 cookies.

• potpie
    17 years ago

I am cutting and pasting! What a good recipe to take for our after service "Sunday Coffee" at chruch!

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I'd like to try this one since I love lemon. Land o Lakes has a lemon cookie recipe but that wouldn't be the one tnflowergirl requested. This one might be another way to use up buttermilk. I can't get it except in quarts & always wind up throwing most away.

• potpie
    17 years ago

Did you know that you can freeze buttermilk in 1/4 or 1/2 or 1 cup measurements and use it when you need it?

I do that because of the same reason. I usually need a small amount for a recipe and then the rest hits the garbage disposal after the expiration date.

It probably wouldn't be good to drink, I don't know, but for dressings, cakes, pancakes, and other baking and cooking needs, it's been fine for me and I've been freezing it for about 6 years since finding out you could!

(Use pam lightly coated inside yogurt containers, then pop them out when they set, and keep them frozen without the container in individual zip-loc sandwich bags.)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Interesting about freezing buttermilk. I make angel biscuits with it and it does keep quite a while so I don't usually have much left. Thanks for the tip though.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I never thought about freezing it. Thanks! I know you can use the vinegar/milk thing but I still like to use buttermilk.

• tnflowergal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

If you ever want a crispier cookie to try, this one's good. It's the one from Land O'Lakes I mentioned:

SLICE & BAKE LEMON CRISPS (6 1/2 dozen)
    3/4 cup Land o Lakes unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 TBL grated lemon peel
    1 1/2 cups flour
    Sugar or powdered sugar
    Combine butter & sugar in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until creamy (1-2 minutes.) Add egg & lemon peel; continue beating until well mixed (1-2 minutes.) Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat until soft dough forms (2-3 minutes.)
    Divide dough in 1/2. Shape each 1/2 into 8" log (1 1/2" diameter) on lightly floured surface. Wrap tightly in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
    Heat oven to 350°. Cut rolls into 1/8-1/4" slices with sharp knife. Place 1" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8-12 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet. Roll cookies in sugar while still warm & again when cool. Variation: Stir 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds into dough after mixing in flour.~~

You can freeze the rolls of dough & use as needed, if you like.

• tnflowergal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I FOUND IT!!!

Better Homes & Gardens
    Lemon Tea Cookies

1/2 cup butter or margaring
    3/4 c. sugar
    1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1 egg
    1/3 c. milk
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 Tbs. lemon juice

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on med. to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup of sugar, lemon peel, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat til combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and 2 tsp. lemon juice till combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in reamining flour.

Drop dough by rounded teasponss 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool.

Stir together 1/4 c. sugar and 2 Tbs. lemon juice; brush on cookies. Makes about 48 cookies.

** I like mine without the glaze but they aren't as lemony.

• misfit
    15 years ago

I know this is an old post. I just wanted to thank you for the recipes. Any lemon cookie recipe I can get my hands on is like GOLD to me.
    Thank you, thank you!