Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

RECIPE: Making a substitution

san_
16 years ago

we had this as our starch and veggie dish tonight and thought it was wonderful in every respect except one--i really disliked the muddy color it became due to the balsamic vinegar:

Bruschetta Orzo Salad

1 cup orzo pasta

2 tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup chopped red onion

1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

opt: kalamata olives, feta, tuna

3 T Balsamic vinegar

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 T olive oil

Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions for about 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain.

Combine dressing ingredients.

Place hot pasta in large bowl and toss with a little dressing; cool about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients and dressing to bowl and toss to mix well.

Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Serve chilled or at room temperature.

i once bought a bottle of white balsamic and i'll be darned if i remember why, but i wasn't happy with the flavor. the recipe seems like a natural for lemon but it would be quite a bit sharper than the balsamic. if you were going to sub something for the balsamic, what would you use? TIA for your help!

Comments (6)

• lindac
    16 years ago

There are certain things you do to food to optimize color/visual...like I never mix the red cabbage into a pasta salad before the last minute, and I always cover potatoes with water before cooking to prevent them from becoming grey.
    But a salad with balsamic vinegar is brown...that's the way it it! Saying what can you do to prevent that is a little like saying what can you do to prevent that bloody look to marinara sauce or to keep a pesto from being so green. It's the nature of the beast!
    But...you can eliminate the balsamic....and sub 2 T. cider vinegar and 1 T rice wine vinegar and add extra sugar to make up the sweetness...Won't taste as good but won't be brown.
    Linda C

• jessyf
    16 years ago

san, there is such a thing as white balsamic vinegar - Trader Joes, for one, has it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: quick google of

• jessyf
    16 years ago

ooops nevermind I just reread your post.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I'd use a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.

• san_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanx folks--i appreciate the ideas and will make note of them!

and i really appreciate the thought and the link, jessica. just because i didn't care for white balsamic, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't. it's a good basic recipe and will be enjoyed with or without the suggested changes!

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I say rice vinegar as well, because it is mild and it has sweetness (make sure it is the seasoned kind for sushi).

Dances.