Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Making a substitution

Posted by san_ (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 21:44

we had this as our starch and veggie dish tonight and thought it was wonderful in every respect except one--i really disliked the muddy color it became due to the balsamic vinegar:

Bruschetta Orzo Salad

1 cup orzo pasta
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
opt: kalamata olives, feta, tuna
3 T Balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions for about 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain.
Combine dressing ingredients.
Place hot pasta in large bowl and toss with a little dressing; cool about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
Add remaining ingredients and dressing to bowl and toss to mix well.
Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.

i once bought a bottle of white balsamic and i'll be darned if i remember why, but i wasn't happy with the flavor. the recipe seems like a natural for lemon but it would be quite a bit sharper than the balsamic. if you were going to sub something for the balsamic, what would you use? TIA for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Making a substitution

There are certain things you do to food to optimize color/visual...like I never mix the red cabbage into a pasta salad before the last minute, and I always cover potatoes with water before cooking to prevent them from becoming grey.
But a salad with balsamic vinegar is brown...that's the way it it! Saying what can you do to prevent that is a little like saying what can you do to prevent that bloody look to marinara sauce or to keep a pesto from being so green. It's the nature of the beast!
But...you can eliminate the balsamic....and sub 2 T. cider vinegar and 1 T rice wine vinegar and add extra sugar to make up the sweetness...Won't taste as good but won't be brown.
Linda C

o

san, there is such a thing as white balsamic vinegar - Trader Joes, for one, has it!!

Here is a link that might be useful: quick google of

o
RE: RECIPE: Making a substitutionn

ooops nevermind I just reread your post.

o

I'd use a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.

o

thanx folks--i appreciate the ideas and will make note of them!

and i really appreciate the thought and the link, jessica. just because i didn't care for white balsamic, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't. it's a good basic recipe and will be enjoyed with or without the suggested changes!

o

I say rice vinegar as well, because it is mild and it has sweetness (make sure it is the seasoned kind for sushi).

Dances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here