Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Cucumber salad

Posted by jennieboyer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:14

Hi - I'm looking for a cucumber salad recipe that has a long shelf life in the refrigerator. Also, not looking for one that has a lot of ingredients. Something simple that will keep for a while is what I need. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Cucumber salad

The problem with any cucumber salad is that as time goes by, the water in the cukes migrates into the dressing. It doesn't matter if it's a vinegar based dressing, mayo based, or sour/sweet cream based. So the salad gets watery and the cucumbers go limp within a relatively short time.

If you don't have a health issue with salt, you could salt the cucumbers for about 30 minutes to draw out excess water (similar to what is recommended for crispy coleslaw). Then pat dry before using in your favorite salad. However, salting does change the texture a bit. You might consider giving the salting method a try to see if you like the results.

Another option is to scoop out the seed section of cucumbers, leaving just the "meat." The seed section contains the most water and by eliminating it, you have a better chance of keeping the cucumbers crisp. You could salt the seed-free cucumber slices too.

o

Cucumbers exude their juice and become limp after being cut. They will dilute whatever medium used. You could toss them with a vinagrette dressing and keep refrigerated for use on a green salad.

The one cucumbers-only "salad" I've made is Joy of Cooking's Wilted Cucumbers. I serve it with salmon. I use the vinegar version. Since they have been wilted they do keep ..... maybe 3 days?

Used in gazpacho recipes (cold soup) it is usually recommended to eat the same day, altho I have eaten leftovers the 2nd day and it was still tasty.

o

This one may seem a bit strange but i've been making it every other week or so, especially after a grilling of smoked pulled pork.
Really nice on a sandwich or as a cold side salad...with fish chicken pork or steak...

-Two large cucumbers, peeled, sliced in half and seeds removed with a spoon. one i grate on the large holes of box grater, the other i slice in thin, not too thin, half moons. Sometimes a few long ribbons with a peeler. (when the grocer has the little thin skinned baby ones i just slice thick rounds without peeling or seeding)
-grate one or two peeled carrots, or a few long ribbons with a peeler
chop 1-6 cloves garlic, lol, to taste (we like garlic)
-2-4 ribs celery, slices thin
-handful parsley or cilantro, chopped fine...i use the tender stems, so much crisp flavor!
-tsp of dried dill, (optional)
-1/2 lemon juice
-a touch of sweet...honey or maple syrup, tsp-tblsp

toss all in a bowl with cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups cold water. cover a rest in fridge for a couple hours or over night. It is really just a quick fresh pickle. The vinegar is diluted but preserves the crispness. Lasts at least a week in the fridge.
When i'm ready to serve i take out the amount i need and drain back into the 'pickle', pat with paper towel. Sometimes i stir in a tbsp of greek yogurt, and a bit of dijon mustard.
A few olives, bit of fetta, cherry tomatoes make a greek salad.
But just as good drained as is.
I've trippled the recipe for a crowd in a big glass jar adding slices of lemon and fresh dill when the garden produces.

I just make stuff up : )

o

Sleevendog, this sound wonderful! I have copied and pasted into Word. You should post this on the Cooking forum, too.

o

Thanks, sleevendog. I'll try it today or tomorrow.Sometimes I just peel and slice a cuke thin. Top with a dressing of one part vinegar (any kind except balsamic) ,three parts mild oil, teaspoon of sugar, dill seed, salt and pepper. I make the dressing in a Good Seasons shaker jar. This salad is good only if eaten within 24 hours.

This post was edited by jannie on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 8:28

o

Hi Jennie, you might try this one. (make a quart, let it set a few days and adjust to your taste on the next batch(es) ). This keeps for a long time in the refrigerator.
1 quart jar filled with sliced cucumbers and few onion slivers(if desired).
Heat to simmer:
1/6 cup canning salt
1 cup sugar
1 table spoon mustard seed optional
1 table spoon turmeric optional
1 teaspoon celery seed recommended
1 1/2 cups white vinigar.
pour while hot over packed (loose packed is fine)
cucumbers. You can do 2 quarts and do on while the liquid is cold...both are good...both will keep good.

o

Note to Jennie, if you simmer the mustard seed you will end up with a brownish liquid, which is ok. You might want to put the seed in the bottom before adding the cukes...they are good in there. Enjoy!
ps...if the cukes are large, I use a spoon and take out the seeds and loose part.

o

Jennie, that sounds like my standard salad dressing recipe I use on everything, just whisk it together in the bottom of the bowl and then toss in the lettuce and veggies and chopped herbs. I have used the Heinz Salad Vinegar for so long, that my family thinks the salad tastes funny if i use anything else. For cucumber salad I usually add some sliced green onions and a generous dollop of sour cream. . The 3 parts oil ( we like a mild flavoured olive oil), one part vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar, herbs dressing is also delicious on fresh picked leaf lettuce, with a couple of slices of crisp bacon crumbled in, and maybe a chopped boiled egg.
Try layering thinly sliced tomatoes and paper thin onion rings, lots of chopped parsley and a couple of chopped, hard boiled eggs on a platter, and drizzling the dressing over the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here