Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
potpie_gw

LOOKING for: The 'right' sugar cookie for:

potpie
17 years ago

I am looking for the right sugar cookie recipe to make some 2inch high and some 4inch high Alphabet Cookies.

We are having a big family broo-ha-ha over the week of the fourth of July and I thought I would make cookies that spells out the names of all the kids and give them each a packet with their cookies/names. (For my neice who's name is Amy, compared to my one nephew who's name is Stephen, I thought I would add some stars and sunshine faces to make sure everyone got the same amount of cookies).

I tried making them this morning using two recipes. One was too brittle and the other seemed too doughy and blobby to me.

Isn't there a recipe using cream cheese in it that is supposed to be soft enough but not blobby?

The batches I made were small halved batches and maybe that is part of the problem for the way they turned out.

Maybe I should use gingerbread? But, I thought that the sugar cookie recipe would be liked by everyone and simple to decorate.

I did find two recipes on the net for a cream cheese recipe and I might try it tonight. I just thought a tried and true recipe from someone who knows what I mean would be better.

The problem is that my normal recipe does fine with big fat Christmas trees and bells, but it never did a nice job with candy canes, so I never made them. Now, I am going to have lots of "candy cane" shaped forms when I make letters.

I hope you can help!

Here are the recipes I found:

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

1 Cup Sugar

1 Cup Softened Butter

3 Oz Cream Cheese

1/2 Tsp Salt

1/2 Tsp Vanilla

1/2 Tsp Almond Extract

1 Egg Yolk (Reserve White)

2 1/4 Cups Flour

Blend all but flour. Stir in flour and blend well. Chill 2-3 hours. Roll out 1/3 at a time, 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Bake 7-10 minutes at 375F. Brush lightly with egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar if desired prior to baking or decorate with icing after cool.

OR

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1 cup sour cream

5 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 cups confectioners' sugar

Cream together 1 1/2 cups white sugar, butter or margarine, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Add sour cream. Mix together 5 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually add to the egg-sugar mixture. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 10 - 12 minutes. To Make Frosting: In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat together the softened cream cheese and evaporated milk until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon salt and confectioners' sugar. Beat until well blended. Color as desired and frost cooled cookies.

Comments (9)

• wizardnm
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Potpie, I've made this recipe for years

Here's my long time favorite cut out cookie dough. If I remember correctly it was originally in a BH+G magazine in the late 70's. I usually double it in my KA mixer and usually make at least three bowls of the dough. I have a very large tree shape cookie cutter (about 9") and love to make and decorate special cookies for those that love cutouts.
    This dough is one that you can roll thick, if you like a softer cutout, yet still holds up.
    CREAM CHEESE COOKIES

1½ C sugar
    1 C unsalted butter
    1 8oz pkg cream cheese
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    ½ tsp almond extract
    3½ C flour (I like unbleached)
    1 tsp baking powder

In a mixing bowl cream sugar, butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
    Add egg and flavorings, beat smooth'
    Stir together the flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

FOR CUT-OUT COOKIES
    Chill dough. Roll out on surface dusted with a mixture of ½ powered sugar and ½ flour, ¼ to ½ inch thick depending on your preference. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet ( I line with parchment paper) and bake in a 375° oven 8-10 minutes. Watch for the edges to just barely begin to brown if you like a moist cookie. Cool and frost.

COOKIE PRESS COOKIES

Divide dough into portions and add desired colors. Force through cookie press onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375° oven 8-10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack. Before baking brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sprinkles if desired.
    Note...I have added about 4 oz of almond paste to the dough when making the cookie press cookies.....yum!

FAVORITE ICING FOR CUTOUT COOKIES

2 c powered sugar, sifted
    2 Tbsp softened butter
    ¼ tsp vanilla
    ¼ tsp almond extract
    1 egg white
    ¼ C milk or cream

Combine egg white and milk, set aside.
    Beat together powered sugar, butter and flavorings.
    Add small amounts of the milk mixture until icing is spreading consistency.
    Tint with desired colors.
    Using the egg white will give you a nice finish on the icing, the butter will keep it soft on the inside.

Nancy

• potpie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is already too late here to try making dough and baking cookies. So, once the day is off and running and I have the kitchen to myself again, I am going to give your recipes a shot.

I really hope this works out. I am usually more a bar and drop cookie person, I don't why I am sticking myself out like this. I must be going crazy this summer.

Thanks, and I will let you know if I make the alright.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

I would think that using a cookie press for these would be a great idea and faster too! You could use a star tip or the thin bar plate and shape the cookies as you press out the dough.

The kids will love this!

Teresa

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

I used Nancy's recipe for cookies @ Christmas time-- and they were the best recipe I ever had for Cutouts--and I've had LOADS of different recipes over the years-- that frosting recipe is just the right touch-- firm but not brittle to bite--& the cookies taste fresh for a good 5-6 days.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Potpie, I have made these cookies for years....dozens and dozens...I collect cookie cutters and make cutouts for wedding showers ( a ring, and a hand with a candy "jewel") going away parties ( a map of the US with a star at the destination) So you wrecked your car ( a wrecker) so you got a new dog( the kind of dog)...Christmas, Easter, Hannukah...flags ducks, cupids, tea pots etc etc.
    This is the recipe I use. The fact that it has no leavening allows them to stay "neat" and not rise into strange shapes.
    These are crisp, but not tough and keep un frozen for easily a month....the butter "mellows"...I know of no other way to describe the falvor...not rancid but just more buttery.
    The recipe makes about 3 dozen medium sized cookies. I very often double it.

Sugar cookies:
    1 cup of butter
    2 cups of sugar
    Cream together and add
    2 eggs beaten with
    2 T milk and
    1 teaspoon vanilla ( I like a bit more)
    Mix with the butter mix
    3 cups flour mixed with
    1/2 tsp salt....and as much as
    1/2 cup more flour until it's stiff enough to roll out
    Make flat patties, wrap and refrigerate for an hour or longer....
    Dust board with flour and powdered sugar mixed 1/2 and 1/2 and roll and cut...
    Bake 375 for 8 to 10 minutes....I use parchment on the cookie sheets....if you don't have parchment....lightly grease the sheets.
    The absence of baking powder keeps them from rising and keeps the cookies true to the shape of the cutter.....and makes them crisp

• potpie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been so busy cleaning out cabinets, freezers, the big pantry, closets, refridgerator, nooks and crannies that I never got to the cookies today.

I am going to do three batches of dough tomorrow and see what I get.

A friend told me to chill my dough for at least an hour or up to four hours before rolling and cutting. She said I might have made my dough too tough and brittle by overworking it. So, I will be gentle with the sweet little gluten cells this time.

• deannabsd
    17 years ago

I have been using this recipe for years. I have doubled and tripled it with great results. I used to make them with my patients and one of them dumped all the ingredients and then mixed them and they turned out great. I have chilled the dough for an hour and even for a day or two with great results.

The recipe came from Betty Crocker.

Traditional Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (part butter or margarine, softened)
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla (I like to use almond)
    21/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt

Mix thoroughly shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavorings. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt. Cover. Chill at least 1 hour. Heat oven to 400. Roll dough 1/8 inche thick on lightrly floured cloth-covered board. Cut in desired shapes. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6-8 minutes until very light brown. Makes 4 dozen 3 inch cookies.

I have noted in later years that I need to often add more flour. I don't know if the consistency of the fat is different or what. I used to make 12-15 dozen at a time with my patients and they always turned out perfect. I don't think mine were ever as thin as 1/8 inch. Enjoy and what I neat idea.I also have to be generous with the flour on the surface. PS. I cheat and use canned frosting when working with kids as the consistency is perfect. I use a name brand and keep it chilled if possible until using it.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here's the only one I ever use for Sugar Cookies:
    3c flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 c butter or margarine
    pinch of salt
    Mix all together like piecrust dough cutting the butter into the dry ingredients.
    Then add:
    1 c sugar
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tsp vanilla.
    Chill dough. Preheat oven to 375°, roll and cut cookies. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 6-8 minutes.
    I always double this recipe and then frost and decorate.
    RL`

• potpie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The cookies have been a hit and the grown-ups are jealous!

I used this recipe from WizardNM

CREAM CHEESE COOKIES

1½ C sugar
    1 C unsalted butter
    1 8oz pkg cream cheese
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    ½ tsp almond extract
    3½ C flour (I like unbleached)
    1 tsp baking powder

In a mixing bowl cream sugar, butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
    Add egg and flavorings, beat smooth'
    Stir together the flour and baking powder, add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.

FOR CUT-OUT COOKIES
    Chill dough. Roll out on surface dusted with a mixture of ½ powered sugar and ½ flour, ¼ to ½ inch thick depending on your preference. Cut into desired shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet ( I line with parchment paper) and bake in a 375° oven 8-10 minutes. Watch for the edges to just barely begin to brown if you like a moist cookie. Cool and frost.

The little letters were hard to do, but I managed. Some looked pretty squiggily. The big letters came out fine.

The recipe does a nice texture, not too tough and not so delicate they break easily. You have to bite them. They are not soft, but I would say more stable flaky tender. And, they have a nice color to them, not too tanned, but a nice bisque white.

All the kids all loved their cookie boxes and they think their Aunt Patti is a cool chick! Even my own kids liked it and felt good about it coming from their mom!!

It was worth the effort. I can't even remember not getting enough sleep now that I am not getting even less sleep!!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner