Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Leek & Onion Quiche (step by step pics)

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 19:58

I cut this out of our local English newspaper recipe page and tried it today. It's easy and delicious as well as healthy as the pastry can be made with cottage cheese. It will go into my "keeper" file. Sorry I didn't calculate the amount of leek in cups for anyone who doesn't have a kitchen scale....but I used the white parts of 1 1/4 large leeks as well as a little of the light green part.

LEEK & ONION QUICHE

Ingredients:

1 slice of streaky bacon finely chopped (I used 3 slices )
400 grams (14 oz) onions halved and sliced (approx 2 large onions)
200 grams (7 oz) leeks sliced in circles
150 grams (1 cup) plain flour
1 TBS baking powder
3 TBS vegetable oil
2 TBS milk
3 TBS plain yoghurt (without sugar) (I used quark)
60 grams (3 rounded TBS) cottage cheese or cream cheese (I used cottage)
1 egg
salt & pepper
water

1 pyrex pie plate... measuring 19 cm (7.5 inches) across bottom
..... if it has sloping sides, top rim to rim 24.5 cm (9.3/4 inches)

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 180 - 190 C (approx 365 F)
2. Put the flour and the baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir.
Leave a well in the middle and add the cheese, one tablespoon of oil, one tablespoon of milk and a pinch of salt.
3. Mix well with a round bladed knife or your hands until you have a pastry which binds well together and is slightly sticky.
You may need to add a little water. Do so by the spoonful to make sure you don't add too much.
4. Place into a greased pie plate and spread well over the base and up the sides, patting with fingers and the back of a large spoon.
5. Place in the fridge to rest.
6. Gently fry the vegetables and bacon in the remaining oil until soft and golden, then transfer them to the pastry base using a slotted spoon.
7. Beat the egg with the remaining spoonful of milk and the yoghurt (or quark) and pour over the vegetables, making sure that it is spread
evenly over the whole quiche.
8. Season and place in the oven for 40 minutes.

Source: Recipe page of Island Connections English Newspaper, Tenerife 21.06.2008

Step 6 - Cooked leek, bacon & onion mixture spooned into base.

Step 7 - Egg mixture poured over.

Baked

SharonCb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Leek & Onion Quiche (step by step pics)

Sharon, this one I will try soon. Ihave a very large leek in teh gardenthe survived the winter and needs to be eaten before it flowers on me.

Peppi

o

Oh my goodness, but this does look good! I think I have to try it this week - maybe even tonight. Thank you for the pics as well.

o

Sharon, this looks so good. The local farmer's markets are selling lots of fresh leeks now. I'm going to get some so I can make this.

o

Does anyone know approx. how much the 7 oz would be?

o

Sayhello...

I would guess that was about 1 3/4 to 2 cups of chopped leek. As I mentioned above (my comment above the first photo) I used the white part of one and a quarter large leeks plus a little of the pale green part. You could judge perhaps by seeing that there is half the amount of leek as there is onion, so measure out your chopped onion into cups and then use half that amount of leek.

I'll be making it again soon myself so I will measure the cups amount then and add it onto this thread. It doesn't have to be so exact though....just fill up the pie plate to the level in the second photo above.

SharonCb

o

Sharon, Thanks for this recipe! I'm making it soon as it looks delicious. I'm so glad you shared it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here