Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: your favorite pork bbq recipe?

chery2
16 years ago

Please share your favorite pork bbq recipe here. Cooked 4 lb. pork loin yesterday; way too big for the two of us, so kids and grandkids will be joining us.

chery2

Comments (4)

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

I'm confused. Are you looking for bbq recipes, or loin recipes?

For bbq it's most usual to use pork shoulder or butt. This is slow cooked, with or without appropriate mopping sauces, until it falls apart---a process you help with a pair of forks.

If that's what you're looking for, let me know and I'll post a great recipe.

• chery2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Gardenlad. Yes, I found a good sale on pork loin and had been wanting to make bbq. DH and I baked the 12" loin and sliced and ate a small portion of it. Today I put the rest of the meat in a foodprocessor, then a crockpot and had kids for dinner. That is, TO dinner.

I'd love to have your recipe; then I'll share my mother's Chalupa recipe.

chery2

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

"and had kids for dinner. That is, TO dinner. "

Good thing you qualified that. I was about to ask how the kids tasted, and what sort of sauce you used. :>)

Which reminds me, I haven't posted this in awhile:

To Preserve Children

1 large grassy field
    2 or 3 small dogs
    Some pebbles
    A pinch of brook
    1/2 dozen children

Mix the children and dogs together well. Put them in the fild, stirring constantly. Pour the brook over the pebbles. Sprinke the field with flowers under a deep blue sky.

When brown, set in a bubble bath to cool.

Now, on to the barbecue. Years back, Craig Claiborne adapted a Tennessee pig roast to the backyard grill, using Boston butts.

You understand that with pigs, part of the shoulder is called a butt, but the actual butt is called a ham. Don't ask me; I don't make these rules.

You can use either the shoulder, the butt, or the whole piece as you will.

Either way, slow cook them, using indirect heat, and baste occasionally with Tennessee mopping sauce. This can take as much as 24 hours, but 8-12 usually brings the pork to the falling apart stage.

Tennessee Mopping Sauce

1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 1/2 tsp onion salt
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Dash garlic salt
    2 cups vinegar
    1 cup bottled barbecue sause
    1/2 cup catsup
    2 tbls Worchestershire sauce
    1 tbls hot pepper sauce

In a saucepan stir together the brown sugar, onion salt, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Combine vinegar, barbecue sauce, catsup, Worchestersire, and hot pepper sauce. Stir vinegar mixture into dry ingredients. Cook, stirring, over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; cool.

Makes about 4 cups.

• chery2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Both WONDERFUL recipes! All I had time to do last night was the bottled bbq sauce. Tasted to see what additions it needed -- onions, bell peppers, green chiles, Paula's House Seasoning -- but it was pretty good as it was after slow-cooking all day. DH said it looked more like Sloppy Joe, so I said, "So would you if you'd been in a covered cookpot all day!"

I promised Mom's Chalupa, but it'll take awhile to find it. My inheritance included so many books, we had to remodel to accommodate them all -- and enough cookbooks, accordion files, and file-cabinet files [all filled with recipes] to fill my bonus room!

We go to Emerald Isle, NC every summer to stay for a week in an ocean-front cottage, and Mom would always bring her Chulapa. So good! We'll be beach-bound the last week in July, so I'll have to find the recipe before then. If there are any other recipes you've been searching for, just give me the name, and I'll put on my "Recipe Librarian" hat for you.
    chery2

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor