Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msprettyky

LOOKING for: Your best pound cake recipe....

msprettyky
15 years ago

I need a t&t recipe for pound cake. I havent had much luck with them. Mine always turn out dry. Anyone have a good one to share?

Thanks

Brenda

Comments (34)

• ann_t
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are a few tried and true.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

POUND CAKE ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE
    ====================================
    Posted by: lakeguy35 (My Page) on Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 23:50

Here is the recipe y'all, everyone I have shared this with loves it. I know there are alot of recipes floating around out there, but this one is my and many others favorite.

Janelle McComb,who was Elvis's friend from the time he was a boy in Tupelo Mississippi used to bake two loaves of this cake every Christmas and bring them to Graceland. On a good day, Elvis could eat one all by himself. He shared the other with his entourage.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of butter softened
    7 eggs room temperature
    3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
    1 cup heavy cream (not whipped)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Thoroughly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating extemely well after each addition. Mix 1/2 half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Beat 5 full minutes. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in cold oven and turn temp to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour to 90 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly. Wrapped well in foil, this cake keeps several days.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

=====================================
    Source: The Sentinel

1 cup (6 Ounces of Quality white Chocolate, broken into pieces

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    3-4 tablespoons grated lemon peel
    (about 3 medium lemons)
    1-1/3 cups buttermilk
    1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

(Note: I used Callebaut White Chocolate and I used a combination of sour cream and heavy cream rather than the buttermilk.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 6-cake mini Bundt
    pans. Melt morsels in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on
    Medium-High (70%) power for 1 minute; stir. Morsels may retain some of
    their shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10-15 second
    intervals, stirring just until melted; cool slightly. Combine flour,
    baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla
    extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time,
    beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and melted
    morsels. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
    Pour into prepared mini Bundt pans. Bake 20-25 minutes or until wooden
    pick inserted in cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for
    10 minutes. Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in small bowl. Make
    holes in cakes with wooden pick; pour half of lemon glaze over cakes.
    Let stand for 5 minutes. Invert onto serving platter. Make holes in top
    of cakes; pour remaining glaze over cakes. Cool completely before
    serving.

Yield: 12 mini cakes

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Ann Landers put this pound cake recipe in one of her columns way back when my 30 year old was in elementary school.
    I've never had a failure with this pound cake and is one of my most requested recipes for parties.

It makes 2 loaves or one 10 inch tube pan. my family prefers the loaf pans as does everyone I make it for.

Be sure to use a very large bowl for mixing.

ANN LANDERS POUND CAKE

INGREDIENTS:

3 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted margarine at room temperature
    3 cups flour
    5 large eggs
    3 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    7/8 cup gingerale or lemon lime soda ( use lemon lime soda)

Cream margarine until light and fluffy. Cream in sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
    Beat in 1 cup of the flour, extracts and a little of the soda. Continue alternating between flour and soda until all ingredients are used.
    Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans or 10 inch tube pan, or use cooking spray instead. (I use pam).

Bake in preheated 275 degree oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
    Tube pan takes a little bit longer.

cool in pan, till pan is only lightly warm to touch.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

This cake is really good and indefinably delicious. If you can't find the butter flavor extract, leave it out, but do not double up on any of the others. It's the blend of the flavors that make this so good.

Five Flavor Pound Cake

* 1 cup butter, softened
    * 1/2 cup shortening
    * 3 cups white sugar
    * 5 eggs, beaten
    * 3 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1 teaspoon coconut extract
    * 1 teaspoon lemon extract
    * 1 teaspoon rum flavored extract
    * 1 teaspoon butter flavored extract
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Glaze:
    * 1/2 cup white sugar
    * 1/4 cup water
    * 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon rum flavored extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon butter flavored extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch tube pan. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Set aside. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and 1 teaspoon each coconut, lemon, rum, butter and vanilla extracts; set aside.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and 3 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat until smooth. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
    3. Bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
    4. Turn cake out of pan onto wire rack. Place waxed paper under rack to catch glaze drippings. Slowly spoon Five Flavor Glaze onto top of hot cake. Cool completely.
    5. To make the Five Flavor Glaze: In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, water and 1/2 teaspoon each coconut, lemon, rum, butter and vanilla extracts. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
  • readinglady
    15 years ago

This cream cheese pound cake from the Time-Life Good Cook Series is hard to beat. It was also posted on the King Arthur Flour Baking Circle by MrsM. Many members love it.

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    3 sticks salted butter, softened
    3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
    6 large eggs
    3 cups sifted flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10inch tube pan.

Cream butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 90 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make a marble pound cake, pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan. Blend 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa and 2 tblsp. melted butter into the remaining 1/4 batter. Spoon chocolate batter on top of vanilla batter and swirl in with a knife.

This is also delicious in an orange variation.

Carol

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great recipes! I plan to start trying them this week. Do any of these freeze well?

Thanks again,

Brenda

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Mine does. Most pound cakes do.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

Teresa,
    Your recipe is one that I have been making for years........in fact, it was the first recipe I posted here some years ago. A gal from NC that worked for my husband in Washington DC gave it to me. Must be a popular NC recipe. For some reason I have trouble with it falling when I make it here unless I do it in 2 loaf pans so that is what I do.
    RL`

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

RL,
    I've made pound cakes for years and never tried that 5 Flavor recipe until more recently. I think I am too much a purist to think anything with that many flavors could be good! LOL! Boy was I wrong!

Yesterday I sampled Paula Dean's pound cake recipe. It was good, but not as good as some others that I've tried.

In the past I've made Sour Cream Pound Cake, Cold Oven Pound Cake, Cream Cheese Pound Cake, my grandmother's Chocolate Pound Cake, and probably many more. My favorite saying is "you just can't beat a good pound cake!" Often I will make one "just to keep my hand in" or prove to myself that I can still do it. Yes.....southerners love their pound cake!

Teresa

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Here's the best one I've ever had. I threw out all my other pound cake recipes when I found this one:

CREAM POUND CAKE

1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes!)
    1/2 cup shortening
    3 cups sugar
    6 eggs
    1-1/4 cups heavy cream
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 Tblsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter & shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 1 hour and 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I tried readinglady's first. The recipe was easy enough but I think the temp is off in my stove. When I turned on the light and peeked through the window it had baked up beautifuly and looked wonderful. When the timer went off and I came back, inserted a tooth pick and it was not any where near done. Set the timer for 5 mins and came back, about 20 mins later it was ready to come out. I let it cool for 5-10 mins and inverted it. It never came out of the pan! So we have been spooning it out ever since! LOL! It does taste wonderful and I will keep the recipe. Thanks readinglady! So tomorrow nite, the hubby will be at work all evening so I am going to try the no fault pound cake posted by ginger st thomas. By the time I am done trying these I will never want to look at another pound cake! Oh yeah and I want to try the 5 flavor pound cake but have a problem with an allergy to rum. I have always avoided anything with rum flavor because of it. Think maybe I will try another flavor? Thanks for all the advice

Brenda

• roselin32
    15 years ago

Brenda, leave the rum out and use almond extract.......I've done that lots of times and it is still excellent.
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Is there such a thing as a bad pound cake? I've never had one.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Ginger, You've never tried one of my disasters before! LOL! I travel alot and those little prepackaged mini loaves they sell in the convient store are pretty gross. We are planning a camping trip in a couple of weeks and I wanted to make one up ahead and freeze it. I have frozen strawberries from the garden this year and I want to slice it and make strawberry shortcake for my dad. He likes it made with pound cake. I am waiting for the DH to get out of bed to send him to the store for more butter. There is one slice of cake left from RL's recipe and I am sure he will take it to work for lunch. Will let you know how it goes.

Brenda

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

LOL. Pound cakes hold up well too & don't seem to get stale as fast, even if they're not frozen. Even if they do, you can still wing it with a trifle.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I know I am late to the party, but I had to add this recipe. I got it from here, but it was years ao, before I made sure to record the original poster....sorry. I think it may be Ruthanna's, but I am not sure. Anyway, it's good!

GEORGIA PEACH POUND CAKE

3 cups flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter, softened
    3 cups granulated sugar
    6 eggs (at room temperature)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups chopped, peeled peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the sour cream and peaches. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 75 to 85 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

Invert onto wire rack and cool completely.

Icing

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar, sifted

Cream the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the milk and almond extract and mix well. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating until smooth. Frost cake. Store leftover cake covered in
    refrigerator.

Linda

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Ginger, I tried your recipe and it is my husbands favorite so far. I am going to try the 5 flavor I think either today or tomorrow. Have to see if I have enough flour. I know this might sound silly, but can you do these in cupcake tins? Just thought it might make it easier to freeze them individualy. Plus it will keep the DH from eating the whole cake!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I think I would get some of the small foil loaf pans and bake the pound cake in those - I know those work fine. Not so sure about cup cake/muffin tins. Most large grocery stores have the mini loaf pans in the section where they have the foil casserole, pie pans, etc.

Years ago I bought two kinds of mini loaf pans, non-stick and not non-stick just to have to make mini pound cakes and mini breads. Now I am really glad I have them - for gift giving, to share with my parents, and to have smaller portions just for me to freeze.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Five flavor pound cake in the oven now. Let you know how it turns out.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Teresa, which do you like better, the nonstick or regular mini loaf pans? And just to make sure, do they end up taking less time to bake?

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Jessy,
    I think for pound cake I like the nonstick better. You have to understand that I have both types because I got a good deal on them at the gourmet store where I worked at the time.

The nonstick are approx. 6"x 3.5" and the regular are approx. 5.75" x 3". Both bake very well, are easy to clean, and I do not have any sticking when I grease with Pam, butter, or shortening. I do not feel the need to line them with parchment paper.

The regular pans are molded and the nonstick have folded corners that give a sharper corner to the bread or cake.

Yes, they definitely take less time in baking. I start checking at about half the time. One of my favorite recipes for Pumpkin Apple Bread (a sweet breakfast/tea bread) is baked in 6 mini loaf pans (metal or foil) at 350 for 30 minutes. A regular loaf would probably bake for one hour or slightly more.

Hope this helps!
    T.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, Theresa please post that pumpkin apple bread recipe. Sounds great. I tried the 5 flavor pound cake and it was pretty good. Still think the sour creme pound cake is my fav so far. Think I will try Elvis's fav next. Maybe one day next week.

• debbiez1209
    15 years ago

I do have what you're looking for !! Literally, the best pound cake ever. Are you still looking for it?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Please post it.

• dottieq
    15 years ago

I don't often check this site out but happened on it today and can't resist sharing this recipe with you. It won the blue ribbon at the Sussex County fair in New Jersey about 40 years ago.

Blue Ribbon Pound Cake

1 lb. butter
    1 lb. confectioners sugar
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups flour

Have butter and eggs at room temp. Cream butter. Gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and gradually add flour. Pour into well-greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 325 1 hr - 1hr 15 min. or until cake springs back at touch. Cool 10 min. Remove from pan. This is the original recipe. I put a little batter in pan, add some chopped walnuts and then add the rest of batter so that the walnuts sit on top of cake. Try and enjoy!

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I have a really good 7 Up Pound Cake if anyone is interested.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Sure, post it. They all sound good. Never hurts to have another.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I'm a simple cook. To be in my "favorites" file, it has to be easy, economical, and not require me to run to the store.

For years I have used the "Hot Milk Sponge Cake" recipe in my old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. I noticed they've posted it on AllRecipes.com but they never allow anyone to give credit to the original printing of it. Here's the link to that recipe. Leave off the last three ingredients and the fifth level of instructions if you don't want to use the frosting. That was not part of the original recipe and probably something they threw in. I never frost this cake. I usually bake it especially to serve with strawberries and vanilla ice cream, but DH in in the habit of eating up the cake before the strawberries are gone so I have to make extra.

So, OK, I know a sponge cake is not a pound cake, because historically a pound cake gets its name from the fact that it calls for a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour.... but we actually like this better because it's not so high in fat. And when I serve it to guests, they always compliment me on my delicious "pound cake". --Ilene

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

I'm chiming in late, but like Ginger said, we can always use another cake recipe.

First let me say that I am usually a baking disaster, but I tried this recipe for my husbands birthday and made it again for a church function, and several people requested the recipe. Very moist and tasty.

SUNDROP Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
    2 sticks margarine
    1/2 cup Crisco
    5 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
    1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
    3 cups cake flour
    3/4 cup Sundrop

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream sugar, margarine, and Crisco. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon flavorings. Add cake flour alternating with Sundrop. Pour in prepared tube pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Spoon icing over warm cake.

Icing Glaze

2 cups confectioners sugar
    4 tablespoons Sundrop
    2 tablespoons margarine

Combine confections sugar, Sundrop and margarine. Mix well and spoon over warm cake.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

What's Sundrop?

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I didn't know, either, so I googled. Apparently it's a dark yellow, high caffeine lemon-lime carbonated beverage in a can.

We don't have it under that name here in Oklahoma. But we have Mountain Dew which sounds like the same thing. --Ilene

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I think you could sub Mt. Dew or even Sprite for the Sundrop as it is probably a regional soda.

Teresa

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

Sorry - I forget that we're not all in the same place.

Sundrop is a 'citrus-y' yellow soda that is bottled/canned in North Carolina (very high caffeine content). I imagine Sprite, 7-Up and maybe even Mountain Dew would work just as well.

Though if you ask a southerner, the other sodas don't come close to Sundrop.

That makes me wonder - Have you heard of Cheerwine? It's also bottled in NC. (Cherry flavored soda). Guess we all have regional 'treasures'.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

We've got Ting down here.