Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdphat2k3

LOOKING for: Black Diamond Steak Marinade

hdphat2k3
17 years ago

I am looking for a Black Diamond Steak Marinade. I have bought the pre-marinaded steaks from butcher shops but can not find the marinade. The marinade is jet black and kinda looks like (of all things) old motor oil.

Chris

hdphat2k3@metrocast.net

Comments (12)

• woodie
    17 years ago

I know Pat is pretty active on this forum, but just in case you are looking for this ASAP, here's her recipe - it is a big favorite on the cooking forum.

Pat T's BLACK DIAMOND STEAK MARINADE

2 Tblsp. oil
    1/4 cup lite soy sauce
    1/4 cup honey
    2 Tblsp. brown sugar
    2 Tblsp. vinegar
    1-1/2 tsp. ginger
    Pinch of garlic powder Mix. Score steak on both sides. Marinate in above mixture 8 to 10 hours. Grill 6 to 8 minutes per side.

• pat_t
    17 years ago

Thanks Woodie for posting it for me. I was out of town.

BTW - I had Cracker Barrel's Chicken Tortilla soup in your honor today at lunch. YUM!

• woodie
    17 years ago

I'm glad you liked the soup, Pat! The last time I was at a Cracker Barrel (several months ago) they didn't have it on the menu - they said it was seasonal and it was for the summer. I never would have thought of chicken tortilla soup as a particularly summery dish.

• kristin43
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I also have a question about the Black Diamond Steak. I'm never sure what cut of steak to buy. What do you all recomend? Also, will it work just as well to broil it?

• nsascott
    15 years ago

Is this marinade actually turn the meat Jet Black before cooking?

I have also purchased a triTip from a local store (Lunardis) that comes Jet Black. They call the marinad Garlic Butter and are very protective of thier source. I have got one of the butchers to say they purchase it in a powder form.

Does any one know the source or what actually makes the meat turn Jet Black (Like motor oil as stated above)?

Any help!!

• mikhen
    11 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but while this marinade is really good, it's not the same marinade as the butcher shops use. I have been searching and trying many different versions of Black Diamond Steaks, and still can't find the right one.

• harley54
    10 years ago

I've tried everything, can't get steak to be black BEFORE I cook it!!! Tried every recipe I found. Way I hear it Black diamond was a trademarked item, when the original recipe's company went under Tyson bought it and now call it black gold. Our local restaurant supply company sells black gold steaks that are it! But all they sell is a small vacuum packed steak, not enough for me!!! I want black gold recipe to marinate a bigger steak, but so far no luck!!!!

• Candy LaBonte
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've tried my best to recreate the recipe just on taste not color. Took me ten re-trys before it tasted like the real black diamond. Everything else ive found for recipes for black diamond, to my palette, is mostly a variation on teriyaki. They (the commercial companys) add caramel color to make it that black, but the good thing is the color has nothing to do with the flavor. They never mention cinnamon, liquid smoke or quality bourbon but I've found these are essential for the correct flavor. No vinegar!

For 4 lbs of either sirloin or rib eye steak marinated 48 hours turns out the best.

• Suzieque
    6 years ago

Candy, could you post your recipe, please?

• Candy LaBonte
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

10th try

(Makes a Double batch, over nighter in marinade, I did 48 hours)

4 lbs sirloin steaks or ribeye
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup Jim Beam Black or Devils Cut bourbon
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/2 cup liquid Applewood smoke
    3 tablespoons liquid Mesquite smoke
    1/8 cup ginger powder
    6 tablespoons garlic powder
    4 teaspoons onion powder
    3 tablespoons saigon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons chili powder

The liquid smoke's, burbon and cinnamon are a must.

It definitely isn't black in color but the flavor is just about spot on for my pallet. This curbed our cravings for a great black diamond, I hope this works for anyone else wanting to try out my hard work.

• Bill Sartelle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In the late 80s I drove for the packing plant that originally made black diamond. We used to go to a company in New Jersey

to pick up the flavor mix. They were very protective of the mixes they made for different company’s. It was like total security,guards and constant survailence while loading. Our product was labeled with name only and they sealed the trailer when we signed the papers. The company was Jac PAC in Manchester,NH. I used to buy trimmings at the employees store ( Friday’s only) . I have tried to recreate the recipe, but failed. It was guarded kike ft Knox and only the workers that made it saw the process, NO one was allowed in the area when it was made.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz