Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweasel2009

RECIPE: Take along meal ideas

gardenweasel2009
14 years ago

Looking for some new ideas to pack for summer for my truck driving husband. Challenge- he has a refrigerator but is out for 2 weeks at a time. Could be frozen and thawed and heated up. Winter was easy with soups and stews, summer is a little trickier. Help me out all you smart cooks.

Comments (2)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Sandwiches....ham, cheese, pastrami, corned beef, salami, pancetta...all sorts of cured meats. Make sandwiches and freeze them and every day he gets one out to thaw for the next day. But things like fresh tomato soup with Italian sausage and asparagus soup with lots of onion, potato soup from tuny new potatoes and garden onionsa re all good....even if the day is hot...
    And don't forget gaspacho!
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Why not make some freezable casseroles? Make the casserole for a family dinner, removing one hearty portion for your hubby to a freezer container, wrapping well, and labeling, then freezing solid for him to take on the road. Doing a couple of different recipes a week will give him more variety.

Broccoli and Ham Casserole

8 oz. small elbow or shell macaroni, cooked
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 1/2 cups milk
    3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    1 TB finely minced onion
    1 t. dry mustard
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 c. diced, cooked ham
    2 cups, cooked, chopped broccoli
    2 t. salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    1 c. fine dry bread crumbs mixed with 2 t. melted butter

Make a white sauce by cooking the flour in the melted 1/4 cup butter for 2 minutes, then slowly adding in the milk, stirring until thick.

Add the cheese, onion and dry mustard. Fold in the mayo, ham, broccoli, s&p. Put into casserole dish or dishes. Top with crumbs mixed with butter. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Cool. Wrap well and freeze.

To serve: thaw, remove wrappings, heat until bubbly and top crumbs are crisp.

Chicken Pot Pie - make your favorite recipe for pot pie filling, pour into single serve containers, top with a circle of pastry or thin biscuits, bake, cool, wrap, freeze. To serve: thaw, bake uncovered until bubbly and pastry/biscuits are hot and crisp.

Chicken or Turkey Tetrazzini - I like the recipe at southernfood.about - freezes very well

Enchiladas freeze very well, use the smaller flour tortillas so they will fit in a shorter container; package 2 to 4 enchiladas according to his appetite, ladle sauce over and top with cheese. I give these to my boys at Christmas and they say they really like them. Any beef or chicken enchilada recipe can be used.

What about Bierocks? Brown ground beef with some onion, spoon off extra fat, add chopped cabbage and cook in the beef mixture until tender. Thaw bread dough and roll out portions to make an 8 " circle. Spoon on the beef and cabbage mixture, top with a piece of American cheese, fold dough over to make a meat pie. Bake, cool, then wrap and freeze. To serve: thaw, then warm, wrapped in foil until hot and cheese is melted. note: there are lots of Bierocks and Runza recipes on the web, but not too many include the slice of cheese - take my advice and add that slice or half slice of cheese on top of the meat and cabbage!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz