Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

LOOKING for: Lentil Salad?

shambo
16 years ago

I love lentils and would like to make a summery salad using them. I know I've seen recipes before. But I neglected to copy them. Thanks for your help.

Comments (6)

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Here's my favorite one:
    Lentil and Feta Cheese Salad
    1 1/2c lentils
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp basil
    2 cloves garlic, one whole, one crushed
    1/2c diced celery
    1 small onion chopped
    1/2 c chives, chopped
    3/4c crumbled feta cheese
    6T olive oil
    3T wine vinegar
    1/8 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    Rinse lentils. Put in saucepan with enough water
    to cover. Add bay leaf, basil, and one clove garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Add celery and onion, cover and simmer til lentils are tender.
    Drain and discard bay leaf and garlic clove.
    Put lentils, celery and onions in a serving bowl. Add chives and feta cheese.
    Mix remaining ingredients in a jar and shake til well blended.
    Pour over lentil salad and toss. Let stand for 2 hours at room temp tossing
    occasionally before serving.
    RL`

• woodie
    16 years ago

The only one I have saved is Roselin's! I went crazy searching for what I thought was another lentil salad recipe, but turned out to black eyed pea salad, LOL. Sorry, but thanks for reminding me to try RL's lentil salad.

• cindy_5ny
    16 years ago

Ooh, that looks good!

• shambo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roselin, I made your salad recipe this afternoon. I've got it cooling in the refrigerator right now, but I sneaked a taste a few minutes ago. Thanks for the recipe; it's really good and just what I wanted.

I made a few changes due to what I had on hand. I cooked the lentils with several sprigs of fresh thyme from my garden because I didn't have any dried basil. I only used about 1/2 cup of feta because my husband is on a low sodium diet. To offset the lack of salt, I added a crushed clove of garlic and a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to the dressing. I also cut some fresh oregano for the dressing while I was getting the thyme. I had green onions that were getting old, so I used them instead of the chives.

I have some Brown Cow plain yogurt (with the cream on top). I'm going to have some of the lentil salad, yogurt, & a couple of rye crackers for dinner. It's just the perfect kind of meal on a hot day!

On a different topic, I've made your zucchini casserole a couple of times now. To me, it tastes just like zucchini pancakes (my favorites) but without all the grease from frying.

Sue

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Great........like all recipes we probably make, we make changes that we know our families will like or can eat so have fun adding to or deleting. I like the zucchini casserole too and since our yellow squash is now producing, will make the casserole using it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

I made the lentil salad last night and it was delicious. My husband loved it.
    These are the changes I made, not because the recipe seemed to need it but because of what I happened to have on hand.
    I used red onion, no chives, spilt red lentils, balsamic vinegar, no celery or oregano and I did not cook the onion.
    I also added dijon mustard to my dressing and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
    I cooked the lentils with bay leaf, basil and minced garlic unitl the lentils were still slightly crunchy, about 10 minutes. Then I drained them well removing all sludge.

I mixed with the dressing then, but waited for the lentils to cool down significantly before adding the cheese so the feta crumbles wouldn't melt.
    I had some for lunch today and it is good cold but it was also very good warm.
    Grape tomato halves would be good in this.