Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Family Goulash Recipe

Posted by mtcrafter (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 15:44

I love this forum. The range of recipes is fantastic.

My goulash recipe was developed from my m-i-l's recipe. It's one of my husbands favorites.

1.5 lb. lean ground beef, browned
1 onion coarsely chopped and cooked with the beef.
2 cups of uncooked macaroni
1 qt of canned tomatoes
2 tbsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
sugar to taste
1 can evaporated milk

cook the macaroni and drain. add tomatoes, beef and onions, paprika, salt and pepper, sugar. We like a sweet and sour taste with the sugar and tomatoes.
cook for around 20 minutes or so to set the flavors.

warm the canned milk in a glass measuring cup in the microwave and then stir the hot milk into the macaroni mixture and it is ready to serve. By heating the milk, it won't curdle when it hits the acid tomatoes. My m-i-l used cream as we were milking a dozen cows at the time. canned milk keeps well.

Ann in MT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Family Goulash Recipe

This isn't a family one but it is one I have been making for several years and we really enjoy it.

HUNGARIAN GOULASH OVER NOODLES
Printed from COOKS.COM

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

1 lb. beef, cut into cubes2 tbsp. brown sugar3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce6 tbsp. ketchup3 tbsp. flour2 med. onions, minced1 1/4 tsp. paprika1 1/4 tsp. salt3/4 tsp. vinegar1 1/2 c. water1 (6 oz.) pkgs. Skroodles (or any kind of noodles)Brown meat on all sides in fry pan; add onions. Combine paprika, brown sugar and salt. Combine Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, ketchup; add to meat; add 1 cup of the water; stir; cover. Cook over low heat 2 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Blend flour with remaining 1/2 cup water; add to meat mixture; stir until thickened. Boil noodles in salted water until tender; drain. Serve meat mixture over noodles. Serves 6.
RL`

o

Thanks for sharing Ann.

Here is my favourite Goulash recipe. Its a traditional style Hungarian Goulash. I usually serve it with Spaetzle.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Hungarian Goulash
=================
2 pounds Stewing Beef, Hip or chuck
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons Sweet or Hot Paprika (or combination)
Beef broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

Flour (Optional) for dredging beef
(optional 2 or 3 potatoes, cut into large cubes)
. Brown the beef in some hot oil. (May be dredged in flour first)

Add chopped onion, garlic and saute until soft. Add paprika, Cook for
a few minutes. Add Broth to cover, salt and pepper to taste and simmer
until the meat is tender. If using Add potatoes and continue cooking
until potatoes are cooked through.

Serve with Spaetzle or Wide noodles.

o

I make my Goulash like mtcrafter, but I have never put cream or evap milk in it. May have to try it this way. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here