Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vannie_gw

RECIPE: Coffee cake recipe

vannie
16 years ago

I'm having a brunch and thought I'd make a quiche, a coffee cake, fresh fruit, and maybe sausage and bacon. There will be a few men and they have to have their meat. What do ya'll think about the menu? Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for coffee cake they would share? TIA

Comments (7)

• dougv
    16 years ago

This is one my family likes. Believe it came out of a BHG magazine.

Best Coffee Cake
    Prep: 35 minutes
    Bake: 65 minutes
    Cool: 2 hours

1 recipe Pecan Streusel (see recipe below)
    4 eggs
    6 tablespoons butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup butter, softened
    1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
    1. Prepare Pecan Streusel. Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch tube pan or 10-inch fluted tube pan using as much of the 6 tablespoons butter as possible. Coat the inside of the pan with the pecans, pressing the nuts into the butter as necessary; set aside.

2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl beat the 3/4 cup butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat 4 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.

4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 10 to 20 seconds after each addition and scraping bowl down well. Beat in flour mixture, one-third at a time, until just combined.

5. Spoon one-third to one-half of the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with half of the Pecan Streusel, spreading evenly. Spoon the remaining batter over the Pecan Streusel, spreading evenly. Sprinkle evenly with remaining Streusel.

6. Bake in preheated oven for 65 to 70 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan and top springs back when lightly touched and/or a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

7. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pan. Turn upright and cool completely on rack. Makes 12 servings.

Pecan Streusel: In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

My favorite is similar to dougv's. When our friends of the library group sponsors a bus trip, we always serve this, along with coffee and juice boxes, when the bus gets under way.

CRANBERRY-STREUSEL COFFEECAKE

PRALINE STREUSEL:
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 stick)
    2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

CAKE:
    1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
    3/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. vanilla extract
    4 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
    4 cups flour
    1 pint (2 cups) sour cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10 inch tube pan. Line bottom with waxed paper. Grease paper.

Stir streusel ingredients with a fork until well blended and made into crumbs.

Cake: In a large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat sugar, butter, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for 5 minute or until pale and fluffy. With mixer on medium speed, beat in vanilla, then eggs, one at a time, until blended. Stir in the cranberries, then alternately stir in flour and sour cream in 3 additions until blended.

Pour 5 cups of batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Scatter 3/4 cup streusel over the batter, leaving a 1/2 inch wide border around edge and center hole of pan uncovered. Repeat layers with remaining batter and streusel.

Put a piece of foil over the top of cake pan but leave edges loose so air can circulate under it. Bake for 1/2 hour, then remove foil. Bake an additional 1/2 hour or until top is golden and a pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. If it starts to get too brown but center of cake is not done, put the foil back on.

Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Run knife around edges and tube; invert cake onto rack. Remove waxed paper and place right side up on serving plate. Serves 18-20.

• marylmi
    16 years ago

This is one I make all the time and they always want seconds!

Cinnamom Streusel Coffee Cake

1 pkg. Duncan Hines Delux II yellow cake mix.
    1 pkg. (4 serving) vanilla instant pudding
    2 tbs. oil
    1 1/3 cups water
    2 eggs or use egg whites or egg sub.

Streusel

1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tbs. oleo, melted

Preheat oven to 375. In large bowl, blend cake mix, pudding mix, water, and eggs. Beat 2 minutes at med. speed. Spread 3/4 of the batter evenly in a tube pan that has been sprayed with veg. spray. Combine the streusel ingredients, sprinkle 2/3 cup of mixture over the batter. Spread remaining batter over and top with remaining streusel. Bake 40-50 min. at 375 until done. Cool in pan 20 min, remove and glaze top.

Glaze
    Blend 3/4 cup powdered sugar with 1 tbs. or more of milk. Drizzle over cake.
    This in nice and moist!

• woodenzoo
    16 years ago

I suppose this is a very basic recipe, but it's what I grew up with and still enjoy to this day.

Mom's Quick Coffee Cake
    1 1/2 cups flour
    12 cup sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    2/3 cup milk
    3 tbsp. melted shortening (or vegetable oil)
    Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
    Beat egg, and add milk and shortening. Stir liquids into dry ingredients, mixing only enough to dampen all the flour. Pour into greased 9X9 pan, sprinkle with crumb topping and bake at 425 for 25 minutes.
    Crumb Topping
    2 tbsp. butter or margarine
    2 tbsp. sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    Mix together until coarse crumbs.

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

We are always asked to bring this Coffee Cake when we attend family parties or brunches. It's the only one my family likes on Sunday mornings.

Sunday Morning Coffee Cake

1 1/2 cup sugar
    3 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    1/2 cup softened butter
    2 lrg eggs
    1 3/4 cup ap flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    8 oz sour cream
    greased 10" tube pan

Preheat over to 350 degrees
    In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon, pecans and the coconut. Set aside.
    In a mixer bowl cream the butter and remaining sugar. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beat well.
    Combine dry ingredients- flour, baking powder and soda, and salt in a bowl. Add this to the creamed mixture. Start with the dry ingredients first and alternate with the sour cream. Ending with dry ingredients. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Layer on half the pecan+coconut mixture. Repeat the layers.
    Bake for 50 minutes or so. Cool for a few minutes in the pan. Invert onto your serving plate. Enjoy! NancyLouise

• woodie
    16 years ago

I recently had a brunch and I made some homemade granola and packaged it in clear party "goodie" bags and tied it with colored ribbon and put one on each plate as a "party favor" - it was pretty cute (I thought, LOL).

I won't give you another coffee cake recipe, seems like you have enough to choose from So how about a crumb cake recipe instead!

Your menu sounds just wonderful to me. I love quiche and other breakfast casseroles too. Fresh fruit and meat to round it out - its perfect IMHO.

CRUMB CAKE
    (from Sue Cookingrvc)

1. Make Crumb mixture
    2. Make Cake mix
    3. Bake cake half way
    4. Top with crumbs
    5. Bake rest of the way
    6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar

CRUMBS
    1 lb butter or margarine
    2 Tsps. Vanilla
    4 Cups Flour
    2 Tsps. Cinnamon
    1 Cup White Sugar

In a large pot on the stove, melt the butter and add the vanilla and then mix in the remainder of the ingredients. Spread out with a large spoon and/or a spatula on a cookie sheet to dry out a little. Then make the cake.

1 Box of yellow cake mix.
    Make according to recipe on the box.

Put the cake in a pan 11.5 inches by 17 inches.

Bake the cake half way through the baking time (according to the package directions - this will be about 15-20 minutes). Take the crumb mixture and, using a spatula, lift it off the cookie sheet in chunks and, using your hands, crumble it up into big crumbs and put the crumbs on the cake (this will be a little messy) and continue baking until the end of the baking time. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.

Wait until the cake is completely cooled and dust generously with powdered sugar. Lots of powdered sugar!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

This is one that's always a hit when I serve it:

RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE COFFEE CAKE
    Cake:
    2 1/2 cups flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 1/2 sticks butter
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 tsp almond extract

Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease & flour a 9" springform pan. In a large bowl, combine the flour & sugar; cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup of crumbs for the topping. To the remaining crumb mixture add the baking powder, soda, salt, sour cram, egg & almond extract; blend well. Spread the dough over the bottom & 2" up the side of the prepared springform pan. The dough should be 1/4" thick on all sides.

Filling:
    8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup raspberry jam

In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar & egg; blend well. Pour ovre the dough in the pan. Carefully spoon jam evenly over the cheese filling.

Topping:
    1/2 cup sliced almonds

In a small bowl, combine the 1 cup reserved crumb mixture & the almonds; sprinkle over the top. Bake 50-60 minutes or until the cream cheese filling is set & the crust is a deep golden brown. Cool in the pan 15 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan. Serve warm or cool. Cover & refrigerate leftovers.~~ From "A River Runs Backward."

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville