Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim0201

looking for: dinner recipe ideas for single dd (to be frozen)

kim0201
13 years ago

My single DD is going to school/working and finds it challenging to make nutritious dinners with variety. She probably relies on salads and other very quick meals to fill her up in the evenings. She lives several states away from me; I'm spending next week with her & while she's at work/school, I'll use my time to do some cooking for her & putting a few meals in the freezer to help out. She has a roommate so the shared freezer space isn't large but it is adequate. Her DF eats separately.

I've thought of very EZ things such as chili & spaghetti sauce, but wondering if someone might have other suggestions for meals which divide & freeze well. I hope to use freezer bags for convenience/space savings & possibly a few small freezer containers.

I thank you for your help (and my DD probably thanks you even more!!) :)

Comments (2)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I make my sons "Mom's Meals" for part of their Christmas present. Usually I do a batch of enchiladas then put 2 or 3 enchiladas and sauce in each freezer container. You can make chicken enchiladas or ground beef with black beans, finely diced onion, and cheese.

Another thing I make is a chicken and stuffing casserole:

1 (3 pound) whole chicken (cooked in water, meat removed)
    8 ounces dry bread stuffing mix
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
    1 1/4 cups chicken broth (from boiling the chicken)
    1 cup evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Layer the deboned chicken meat in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle stuffing mix over the chicken layer.
    In a large bowl mix together the soups, broth and evaporated milk. Stir well. Pour this mixture over the stuffing mix, making sure it gets to the bottom of the baking dish (poke around with a fork to let it saturate into the bottom layer). Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, until it starts to bubble in the center.

Can be frozen before baking as everything is already cooked.

I served this at an office lunch yesterday and it is very tasty - I think it will freeze just fine.

Chicken Crunch Casserole

1 cup chopped celery
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cups cooked rice
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    3/4 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
    1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained (Cut each water chestnut slice into quarters if you prefer them in smaller pieces)
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    2 tablespoons chopped onions
    salt & pepper

TOPPING
    1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
    1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
    Directions
    1In a skillet, saute' the celery in butter until tender.
    2Remove from heat and add the next 8 ingredients.
    3Spoon into an ungreased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
    4Combine melted butter& cornflakes.
    5Sprinkle on top.
    6Bake 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

• kim0201
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you teresa_nc7 for your suggestions. I'll take them w/ me and ask for her input. I think even adult children REALLY appreciate the extra support. Thank you again.