Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: Creme de Menthe cake???

chery2
15 years ago

Book of Cakes and Pies," but I can't find it now. It was a recipe for Creme de Menthe cake or Chocolate Creme de Menthe Cake. I REALLY want to make it for Father's Day. Has anyone seen it? Made it?

And by the way, I don't keep heavy whipping cream on hand, mainly b/c it's so expensive, and secondly b/c it expires so quickly. But some recipes say you can use HWC or milk! Does milk whip? Would it if you used 100% milk? How come you can use it some times and not others? Is there something you could ADD to milk to make it do whatever HWC does? Could you use that whipped cream in a can?

To thank you for putting up w/ my dumb questions, here's a recipe from the "McCalls" [no HWC!]that looks handy:

EASY WHITE-FUDGE FROSTING

1/2 c. butter or margarine

1 c. granulated sugar

1/4 c. milk

1 3/4 to 2 c. sifted powdered sugar

1 t. vanilla or 1/2 t. almond extract.

1. Melt butter in small saucepan over med. heat. Remove.

2. Add gran. sugar and milk; stir well.

3. Bring to boil while stirring. Remove from heat; let

cool.

4. With mixer or wooden spoon, beat in 1 3/4 c. powd. sugar into warm mixture, beating well after each addition, until frosting is thick enough to spread and barely holds its shape. [Honest! That's what it says.]

5. (Oh, here we go...) If frosting seems too thin to spread, gradually beat in a little more powd. sugar. Add vanilla.

(and this in all caps...) MAKES ENOUGH TO FROST TOP AND SIDES OF TWO-LAYER CAKE OR 13X9 SHEET CAKE. (Are we supposed to assume the filling b/t layers is the "top" of the bottom layer? It does NOT say "tops.")

And while I'm in the mood to find fault w/recipes, my idea of a "small saucepan" wouldn't be big enough to hold all that. Anyway, it still looks handy, now that you know the possible pitfalls.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, ONE AND ALL!

chery2

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You can't whip plain old milk. The only thing Reddi-Whip is good for is for topping. The whipping cream I get has an expiration date that's pretty far away.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Oh, and some recipes call for milk or half-and-half OR cream when the recipe will turn out using any of those but cream will make it richer. But they don't call for milk or half-and-half for topping.

• chery2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All good to know, Ginger. Thanks!
    chery2

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Hi Cherry --

Is it actually a cake you are looking for? My friend makes a Creme de Menthe ice cream pie -- she makes a chocolate cookie crust (using either oreos or those fantastic Famous Chocolate Wafers), then lets a quart of vanilla ice cream get real soft and mixes in maybe 1/2 a cup (not sure how much -- to taste) of creme de menthe, pours it into the crust and refreezes... Very refreshing on a hot day...

Emily

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Here's a recipe I make for St. Patrick's Day. Read through the recipe - you'll note I use peppermint extract instead of Creme de Menthe in the cake because Creme de Menthe tends to burn in the cake. I use Creme de Menthe in the whipped cream topping.

-Grainlady

KILLARNEY CHERRY CAKE

(I've posted this recipe so many times on the Internet over the years that you can now Google it and find the recipe. I found this recipe in a cookbook that was compiled by Home Ec. Teachers in the "Foreign Section". How authentic to Ireland it is is somewhat doubtful - although cherries are an Irish favorite - but this cake is always a hit and easy to make.)

1-lb. 2 1/2 oz. pkg. chocolate fudge cake mix
    1/4 c. plus 3 T. creme de menth or 1 1/2 t. peppermint flavoring
    1/2 c. chopped red or green Maraschino cherries
    1 1/2 c. heavy cream
    2 T. confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
    1/4 c. whole green (or red) Maraschino cherries
    Chocolate curls (take a potato peeler to a cold or frozen Hershey Chocolate Candy Bar)

Prepare cake according to package directions, substituting 1/4 c.creme de menthe for 1/4 c. water or adding 1 t. peppermint flavoring and using the same amount of water as called for on the box (Grainlady note: I prefer the peppermint flavoring to the creme de menthe - creme de menthe tends to burn the cake). Stir in chopped cherries; pour into two greased 9-inch layer pans. Bake as directed on cake mix package. Cool.

Whip the cream with remaining creme de menthe or 1/2 t. peppermint flavoring and confectioners sugar. Spread one-third of the whipped cream between cake layers. Heap
    remaining whipped cream on top. Arrange whole cherries on the top of the cake (Grainlady note: drain and blot the cherries on paper towels first to prevent cherry juice dripping on the whipped cream), add chocolate curls over whipped cream.

Note: If you want to save time and money, frost the cake with a tub of Cool Whip (regular or Extra Creamy, the Low-fat stuff doesn't hold up well) with either creme
    de menthe or peppermint flavoring in it instead of whipping the cream. Make sure this cake is refrigerated until time to serve.

• chery2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Emily and Grainlady! Emily, I have made creme de menthe pie in the past and frozen it for special celebrations. My family has expanded so much since then, I thought a cake might serve us better.
    Grainlady, your KILLARNEY CHERRY CAKE looks exactly like what I want. I hadn't thought of cherries, but I think they'll be a perfect addition. I know your recipe will be often repeated for our family celebrations. Thanks for sharing!
    chery2

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms