Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinnia_blooms

RECIPE: any good easy rice recipes ?

zinnia_blooms
14 years ago

im looking for some rice recipes , easy and flavorable .

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

RICE BALLS (2 dozen)
    1 cup rice
    2 1/2 cups (10 oz) mozzarella
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped pepperoni
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    3/4 cup (3 oz) grated Parmesan
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Vegetable oil for frying
    2 eggs
    3 TBL water
    2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
    Marinara sauce for dipping

Cook the rice using pkg directions & drain. Let stand until cool. Combine rice, mozzarella, pepperoni, ricotta, Parmesan, 1 egg & the pepper in a bowl & mix well. chill, covered in the refrigerator until just before frying. Heat oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven. Whisk 2 eggs & the water in a bowl until blended. Shape the rice mixture into golf ball-size balls, dip in the egg wash & coat generously w/the bread crumbs. Fry the rice balls in hot oil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain & serve immediately with marinara sauce.~~Tables of Content

CONFETTI RICE(serves 4-6)
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1/3 cup butter
    3 cups cooked long grain rice
    10 oz pkg frozen peas, cooked
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp rosemary
    1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Cook mushrooms & onions in melted butter over medium heat until onions are translucent, but not brown. Add the price, peas & seasonings. Heat, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, stir in the almonds.~~Bountiful Arbor

PARMESAN WINE RICE (serves 4)
    1 TBL butter
    1 medium onions, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion & garlic; cook 8 minutes or until translucent. Stir in broth, rice & wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover & cook 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in grated Parmesan & serve warm.~~Food for Thought

SAVANNAH RED RICE (serves 8)
    1/4 lb sliced bacon
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 cups raw white rice
    Two 16 oz cans tomatoes with their juice, pureed in blender
    1 TBL salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp sugar
    Tabasco to taste

In a large frying pan, cook the bacon until crisp; remove from the pan. Crumble & reserve. Saute the onion, celery & green pepper in the bcon drippings until tender. Add the rice, tomatoes, crumbled bacon & seasonings. Cook on top of the stove 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat the oven to 350 & grease a large casserole dish. Pour the rice mixture into the prepared dish, cover tightly & bake 1 hour.~~Savannah Style

PECAN PILAF (serves 8)
    1 stick butter
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups raw long-grain white rice
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/8 tsp pepper (or more to taste)
    2 TBL chopped parsley

In a large skillet, melt 3 TBL of the butter in a large skillet. Add the pecans & saute 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the pecans; cover & set aside.
    In the same skillet, melt the remaining 5 TBL of butter. Add the onion & saute 6-8 minutes until tender. Add the rice; stir to thoroughly coat grains. Add the broth, salt, thyme & pepper. Cover; simmer 18 minutes or until rice is tender & all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the ehat; stir in the pecans & parsley.~~NOTE: To make ahead: before addings nuts & parsley, cover & refrigerate up to 24 hours. To heat, add an extra 3/4 cup water to the cooked rice in a skillet. Cover; heat 5-8 minutes until hot. Stir in nuts & parsley.~~Perennials

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Here's an easy one.

BAKED RICE

1 med. onion sliced
    1/4 lb. butter or margarine
    1 beef bouillon cube
    1 can beef consomme
    1 can water
    1 cup raw rice
    1 small jar sliced mushrooms
    1 bay leaf
    chopped fresh parsley
    S & P to taste
    Dash of worcestershire sauce
    Dash of tabasco

Saute onions in butter until tender and clear. Crumble the bouillon cube, add and stir well. Add the consomme, water, rice and other ingredients and stir. Bake in a covered casserole at 350 for one hour.

• Bev Cashen
    14 years ago

Makes a great buffet dish!

Serves 6

1/4 cup olive oil

3/4 cup finely chopped sweet onions

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

1 cup beef broth

1 cup water

1 tablespoon chopped pimento

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and the sugar. Cook, stirring, until the onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the rice, salt and white pepper, and cook the mixture, stirring, until the rice begins to brown a little. Add the broth and water, and boil the mixture, uncovered, over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Add the pimentos, fluff the rice, and let stand for a few minutes before serving.

• cuffs054
    14 years ago

Got this one from Southern Living and it went over big at party:

small chopped onion
    2 stalks chopped celery
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 cup chick stock
    1 7oz dried mixed fruit (not the bananna mix)
    2 Uncle Bens micro wave ready long grain and wild rice packs
    1/4 cup cilantro
    cracked black pepper

Soften onion/celery in butter. Add fruit and broth, bring to boil, simmer 5 minutes until fruit is soft. Add rice and stir to heat. Add cilantro and pepper to taste.

• annainpa
    14 years ago

A quick delicious ever so easy fix is Goya Yellow Rice. It is wonderful by itself. You can embroider upon it by sauteeing fairly finely chopped onions, red peppers, mushrooms, etc. and mixing them in--but it's really quite fine by itself. Does not taste artifical at all, and has a nice, subtle balance of flavor.

• jsvans
    14 years ago

I change my rice by adding seasoning blends to the water, depending on what I am serving it with. My two favorites are Thai seasoning and Greek seasoning (clubhouse). I will also use a package of soup mix, like Knorr's cream of asparagus, usually 1/2 a package to 2 cups rice. The usual amount of water but no salt.
    Toasted orzo (rice shaped pasta)is delicious. I toast it up(sprinkle into a frying pan,no oil or anything, and stir it until it is light brown, it does not take long) and let it cool and store it that way. Then I just add 1/4 cup of it to the uncooked rice and cook as if it is all rice. It adds a toasty nutty flavor.

• zinnia_blooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks they all sound good and tasty .

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Toasted pine nuts are also wonderful in yellow rice.

jsvans, I love the idea of using soup mix and will try that soon. Too, chicken, vegetable and beef broth are good substitutes for water. Love orzo! My daughter makes an orzo salad to die for! She's out of town, but when she returns, I'll get the recipe and post it. It really is a winner.

• bamasue
    14 years ago

The Savannah Red recipe of Ginger's is delish!! I'll be anxious to try some of the others, too!

• kitchen_2009
    14 years ago

Ingredients:
    Whole wheat spaghetti. 350g
    3 cloves of whole garlic
    3 cup of long grain rice.
    1 Chicken cube
    Chilly flake as per taste. Optional

Method:
    1. Heat some oil in pan.

2. Add garlic and spaghetti.

3. Stir well and fry until golden brown.

4. Add rice and fry for 2 minutes.

5. Add 6 cup of water and a chicken cube.

6. Add Italian spice, crushed chilly and salt to your taste.

7. Cook until rice absorbers the liquid.

8. Put the lid on when the liquid is almost gone.

9. Reduce the heat and put the lid on.

10. Turn off the heat when the rice is cooked and leave it on the stove.

11. Rice is ready to serve.

• loralee
    14 years ago

I just made some Yum last night. I used about 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice and cook this until done.
    Then I saute one cup of broccoli chopped very small and 2 green onions, and 3 cloves of garlic. after cooked mix this into the cook rice and Add 1 cup or more canned black beans and yum sauce to taste and it is yummy.

I buy Yum sauce at Cafe Yum.
    I am told you can use something called Green Goddess dressing. I have not tried this yet.