Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: chili sauce for hot dogs....need recipe

Posted by robar (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:47

I'm looking for a good chili sauce recipe for hot dogs. I would like a thicker sauce recipe. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: chili sauce for hot dogs....need recipe

This is my favorite; you can simmer it on low as long as necessary to make it as thick as you want.

Hot Dog Chili from Aiken Pool Hall, Aiken, SC

1 lb. hamburger meat
4 med onions -- diced/chopped
4 Tbsp mustard -- yellow
3 tsp sugar
2 tsp vinegar -- apple cider
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup catsup
salt -- to season

Break up the hamburger meat and put into a 4-qt. pan. Add enough hot water to make a thick mix. Stir until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Can be thinned as needed with water or beer.

Please notice that the ground beef is not browned first; it is mixed with the water first to form a sort of slurry of beef and water, then the rest of the ingredients are added.

Teresa

o
RE: RECIPE: chili sauce for hot dogs....need recipe

i like this one:

"This super-easy Coney-style meat sauce is just what you need to add that extra little something to a hot dog or some ordinary fries. You don't even have to fry the meat, just put all the ingredients together and simmer."
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup water
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning
mix
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
DIRECTIONS:
1. Stir lean ground beef, water, tomato sauce, chili seasoning mix, yellow mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder together in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until ground beef is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
2. Remove lid and simmer sauce until thickened, about 20 more minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chili Style Coney Sauce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here