Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasue_gw

RECIPE: Anaheim Peppers

bamasue
17 years ago

Hi everyone! A newbie here and so happy to have found you! I am going to have a bumper crop of anaheims this summer and love chile rellenos, but hate the trouble of making them. I once had a loved and lost recipe for a chile relleno casserole that was divine and simple to put together. It did call for canned chiles, but the fresh ones I'll soon have will be better. Can anyone offer any help?

Comments (10)

• angelaid
    17 years ago

This is one of our favorite casseroles: Chili Relleno Puff

7oz can whole chiles, split
    8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
    6 eggs, slightly beaten (can use egg substitute)
    3/4 cup milk
    1 tblsp. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In greased 7 x 11" baking dish, layer split chiles and 1/2 cheese. Combine eggs, milk, flour, baking powder. mix well. Pour over chiles, top w/remaining cheese. Bake 30-40 minutes until puffed & browned.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This is similar to Angelaid's but one I like to make:
    3 cans whole green chilies
    4c shredded cheddar cheese
    4 eggs
    2c milk
    1c flour
    1 tsp salt or to taste
    1 tsp peper
    1 T oil
    Rinse chilies and remove seeds. Place half in a buttered 2Qt baking dish. Sprinkle with 2c cheese.
    repeat layers.
    Combine oil, eggs and remaining ingredients and beat at med speed of mixer.
    Pour egg mix over chilies and cheese. Bake covered at 325° for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 30-35 minutes.
    8 servings.
    RL`

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here is a quick and easy one from Southern Living that will help you use up some of your peppers:
    Chiles-Rellenos Squares
    4c Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
    1 (4 oz)can chopped green chilies
    5 eggs beaten
    Layer cheese and chilies in a lightly greased 12x8x2" baking dish.
    Pour eggs over mixture and bake at 300° for 45 minutes or until center is firm.Cut in 2" squares. Great as an appetizer.
    RL`

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The one step you won't be able to skip, bamasue, is roasting and peeling the peppers. Otherwise I'd be leery of substituting fresh for canned chiles in any of these or similar recipes.

I'm assuming you know how to do that? If not, I'll be glad to post several methods.

• bamasue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Perfect! Knew I could count on you to re-supply me with my lost recipe. As I recall, it was even called a chile relleno puff. Thanks, Angelaid, and Roselin, I'll surely try that SL appetizer. And, yes, Gardenlad, I know I must first roast the peppers. Don't have an open flame stove so I usually turn them carefully under the broiler then put them in a paper bag for a few minutes to soften the skins. If you know of a simpler method, please advise. Thank you all for your help.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

barnasue, that method works fine but if you have a gas BBQ it's easier than the broiler and you can do more at the same time.

Some yoummy sounding recipes!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Several ways of accomplishing the same task. For just one or two peppers I merely use a torch. That's what I did today, for instance, when I needed a couple of Fresnos in a recipe. However, despite what some cooks indicate, using a brule' torch for this is an excersize in futility. Use a regular propane torch for best results.

For a larger number, I prefer using the barbie, as Chase suggests. Except mine is charcoal. Not only does it work well, you get the additional smokey tastes from the coals.

Rick Bayless claims that the very best way is to drop the peppers into an inch of very hot oil, until the skins blister. I have never tried it that way, myself, but he insists it is both traditional and results in the best tasting chiles.

No matter which style of applying heat, I always put them in a closed paper bag for a few minutes. Then flush away the skin under running water.

• erockybalboa
    17 years ago

We're going to start off cutting some vegetables, and we're going to trim these in such a way that they'll facilitate the grilling in that regard. We're going to start here with an eggplant. All of these vegetables once they've been cut are going to be marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette. So vegetables being what they are, they don't take a long time to cook, nor do they take a long time to marinate. The longest length of time usually that you'd marinate vegetables is really 15 or 20 minutes. That's about max, you don't want to saturate them too much. Now I'm cutting these kind of thick simply because I want to have something with some substance. When you grill on a propane grill it's a pretty intense heat and if you cut these kind of thin they end up drying out and dehydrating. By cutting these kind of thick, it sort of mimics the proteins that you'll be serving them along with; the chicken and steak and things of that nature. You guests can eat them with a steak knife or a fork and still have the same grilling feel. That's enough of those to get started with, as far as the eggplant is concerned. Now with a zucchini, I'm going to trim both ends first, and I'll cut this guy in half. Then we want to take a vertical cut so that we'll be able to lay these flat on the grill and give us some substance to turn these. You're really only going to put stripes on each side, and by then they're pretty much going to be done. The bell peppers; I've got some red and greens here. Greens tend to be a little more bitter than the reds and the yellows, but once you grill them it kind of takes the bitterness out, so we're going to sock it to them in that sense. With the bell pepper rings, I've cut the top off, and I want to take off the pit and the veins out of the inside because that will alter the flavor of these guys regardless of the cooking technique that you use. So we'll remove those and get rid of any residual seeds. We'll cut these into a thick ring as well and marinate these in the same marinade we're going to put the other vegetables in. We'll have that flavor continuity there. Alright, so that's enough to get these started. Obviously we'll cut the rest of these vegetables the same way. We're going to set these in a balsamic vinaigrette that's been nicely shaken and hasn't separated. We'll put these in a Tupperware and chill them for about 15 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes

• beachlily z9a
    17 years ago

I grow Joe Parker's (anaheims) and they will be ready once this tropical storm blows through. Here is an easy recipe that I use for New Mexican Green Chile Sauce.

1 pound (15-16) fresh green chiles, roasted and peeled
    1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    1/4 small onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 cups water
    2 cups beef broth

Remove stems and seeds from chiles and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 1/2-2 inches long. Set aside.

In a large skillet or 2 quart saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the oil until the onions are limp. Stir in the chiles, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to the pan, along with the broth. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yields 5-6 cups.

For variety, you can brown 1/2 lb. ground beef and add it to the onion and garlic. Proceed as above. Or you can peel and mash 4 or 5 fresh tomatoes and stir them into the simmering sauce.

May be served as a soup (with fresh flour tortillas) or used on tacos, enchiladas, etc. Very easy, very good!

• luvr29
    17 years ago

3/4 lb lean beef

3 green peppers (1 sweet red pepper optional)

1 tsp butter

1 tsp MSG (accent)

2/3 c soy sauce

1/2 tsp ginger

Freeze beef and slice as it thaws to very thin strips. Cut peppers into very thin long strips. Melt butter in heavy skillet. Add green peppers and stir. Sprinkle with MSG, cover and steam lightly for 2-3 minutes--stir occasionally. Remove with slotted spoon to bowl. Add soy sauce, ginger, and stir to mix well. Add beef strips and toss till lightly brownish. Add green peppers and toss through until hot. Serve over steamed rice. Serves 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Recipe