Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Main Course to pair with Cheese Fondue Appetizer

Posted by peterbinder (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 12:20

Hello - does anyone have any ideas for a main course to pair with a cheese fondue appetizer? I'm just looking for something light and quick. I was thinking of a seasame chicken over rice with a spicy seaweed salad on the side. It sounds good to me, but I don't know how others will find it after the fondue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Main Course to pair with Cheese Fondue Appetize

Peter, those two combos aren't floating my boat. Which are you really "in love with" the fondue or the entree?

If it's the fondue I would go with something more in keeping with that cuisine even if not "authentic". Veal Cordon Bleu, smoked pork and sausages with sauerkraut, Braised red cabbage and stuffed pork....I'd even do cabbage rolls.

If you love the sesame chicken and seaweed salad I'd do Sui Mai or Spring Rolls as an appetizer....I have a Spring roll recipe using phyllo that is baked rather than fried, very good.

If anything interests you I have recipes for all.

o

The cheese fondue will be pretty rich, so I'd go with something light. A cold pasta salad is always good in the summertime, and it can be a one-dish meal with some cold chicken and veggies in it.

o

I've never had cheese fondue as an appetizer. I think of fondue more as a wintery dish but no reason not to serve now. Here's a pork chop recipe that would go with it & it could be fixed ahead up to the baking part:
APPLE CIDER PORK CHOPS (serves 6-8)
1/2 cup apple cider
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBL dry mustard
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup soy sauce
8 pork chops
Chopped fresh parsley or baked apple slices

combine first 6 ingredients; add pork chops. Marinate at least 2 hours. Drain pork chops, discarding marinade. Bake chops in a preheated 350 oven for 40 minutes. Garnish w/chopped fresh parsley or baked apple slices, if desired.~~Food for Thought

o

Another who says if you are doing fondue, do Swiss all the way...
I might even consider grilled bratwurst and redcabbage.
Linda C

o

May i sugest going fondue all the way- a cheese fondue for starter, a meat fondue may be a shabu shabu (if you feel like something a bit more oriental for main) and a chocolate fondue for dessert. A very rich and filling meal but worth it as they all go together wonderfully!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here