Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Baked Strawberries

Posted by sayhellonow (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 11:58

I found this by accident, and thought it sounded pretty wonderful. I haven't made it yet but it's on my list of things to try - especially while strawberries are in season. It looks really easy. The recipe says heat oven to 180 C, but I don't know what that means, sadly.

Baked Strawberries

Ingredients:

750g strawberries (about 3 cups)
to cup vanilla sugar, other flavoured sugar, or plain white sugar (add less or more as your taste dictates)

Preparation:

1. Heat the oven to 180 C.
2. Place strawberries in a single layer in a very shallow baking dish (not a metal dish). You can hull them (remove the green top) or leave the green top on.
3. Sprinkle with the sugar. There will appear to be a lot of sugar for the amount of strawberries. Dont worry - this is pure indulgence!
4. For variety, add one or two of the optional ingredients.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. The strawberries will lose a lot of their juice, creating a strawberry syrup as the juice combines with the sugar.
6. Serve hot, warm or cold with ice cream, cream or mascarpone.

-------------------------------------------------
Optional: Choose zero or more of the following:
1 - 2 TBS strawberry or similar liqueur
A slice or two of fresh ginger, chopped finely
1 piece crystallized ginger, chopped finely
vanilla bean (if not using flavoured sugar), halved with the seeds scraped into the baking dish
A grind or two of fresh black pepper
Dried cranberries
Cinnamon stick
Sprig of rosemary
Lavender flowers
Honey instead of sugar
Let your imagination run wild (once you are used to cooking this dish), but dont underestimate the intensity of strawberry flavours. So make sure any ingredient that you use is compatible with strawberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Baked Strawberries

That would be 350 oven temp. (Technically it would be 356, but 350 would work.)

The recipe sounds delightful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Celsius to Fahrenheit

o

I would definitely put that warm over ice cream! Yum!

o

Thanks Woodie!

o

Bet it would be good with turbinado/demerara sugar too. Wish strawberries weren't so expensive down here.

o

Thanks for the recipe.....there is a strawberry stand less than a half mile away next to the field where they grow.
And they are the best we have had for a long time!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here