Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: LionsHead Meatballs - Eating Well

cookingrvc
16 years ago

Hi Guys. Been awhile. Hope all is well with you. I am crazy busy and haven't even stopper to lurk, but wanted to pass my new favorite recipe to you...

I don't have it in my hands, but it is in this month's Eating Well; it is amazing.

It's pork based, and the only modifications I made were to grind my own pork and to add some finely chopped chinese cabbage (Napa?) to the meatball mixture, and cooked them in the sauce (lite coconut milk, curry, and lite soy sauce) for a longer than the 8 minutes called for (they just got more tender)

I'll post the recipe later on tonight when I'm home.

Sue

Comments (4)

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Hey Sue, Where have you been? Nice to see you back.

Sounds good. Found one on line from Cooking lite. Wonder if it is the same one?

Ann

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Ann ! It's definately close to the EW recipe, which I found at their site. This really is an outstanding dish...a very nice appetizer.

We started off using the Boston lettuce to wrap them, but they just got in the way and we ditched them and just ate the meatballs with the sauce.

I don't care for ginger, so i omitted it. Just saw it called for lemon zst and basil, but we didn't include those either.

LionÂs Head Meatballs
    Makes 10 meatballs, for 5 main-dish or 10 appetizer servings

Ingredients
    1 cup "lite" coconut milk
    2 ½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 pound lean ground pork or beef
    ½ cup chopped scallions
    ¼ cup minced leek, white and pale green part only
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons seeded and minced fresh chile pepper
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium head Boston or iceberg lettuce
    ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or Thai basil
    1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest

Instructions

1. Combine coconut milk, soy sauce and curry powder in a large saucepan. Set aside.
      2. Place pork (or beef), scallions, leek, cornstarch, flour, sesame oil, ginger, chile, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Knead by hand until thoroughly combined and the mixture becomes sticky. Divide into 10 equal portions, about 1/4 cup each. Roll each portion into
      a ball.
      3. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, swirling to coat the sides. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
      4. Bring the coconut-milk mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs; cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 8 minutes.
      5. Line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves. Arrange the meatballs on top. Garnish with basil and lemon zest. Serve hot with the coconut-milk sauce drizzled over the top or on the side for dipping.

Tips
    Cover and refrigerate the meatball mixture (Step 2) for up to 2 days.

LionÂs Head Meatballs
    Tips Cont.

LionÂs Head Meatballs
    Nutrition Information
    Per meatball: 115 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 10 g protein; 1 g fiber; 297 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).

0 Carbohydrate Servings

Exchanges: 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable

Here is a link that might be useful: Eating Well Lionshead Meatballs

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hi Sue (Annette) - I'm really happy to see you, you must know that I missed you! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds wonderful to me.

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Woodie,

As you can see, you guys are right up there in my mind when I come across a good recipe. I have to say, I poked around yesterday, and I cannot believe the quality of the pictures you guys are posting.

You have advanced so far I don't think I can ever post a pic again!

I hope you're well and know you are never far from my foodie mind.

Sue