Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

LOOKING for: Tomatoes

JoAnn_Fla
15 years ago

I planted some tomatoes this year and have more then I need. I've never canned them or tried freezing. What do you do with too many tomatoes?

Comments (8)

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

I can them, freeze them and I make a big ol' batch of Annie's Salsa!

If you aren't comfortable canning, just blanch them for 30 seconds or so, slip thepeelings off, chop or leave whole and place in freezer bags or containers, toss in the freezer. Super simple! (If you are working with lots of tomatoes rubber gloves would be a good idea as the acid can wreak havoc on your hands!)

Linda

• trixietx
    15 years ago

I don't blanch tomatoes, I just put them in freezer bags, whole and unpeeled. Then as needed I put them in warm water and the skin slips off.

I will freeze several bags and then can salsa from the frozen tomatoes and peppers I have in the freezer. My recipe call for 24 med. tomatoes and I always double the recipe so freezing them makes it much easier for me.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I can them. I used to freeze and use them in spaghetti sauce and the like. I don't do that anymore because I can taste a large difference in the frozen versus the canned.

Beverly

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

Check out the link below for up-to-date home canning information for tomatoes. Because of low-acid tomatoes, you MUST add an acid (bottled lemon juice or citric acid to tomatoes canned in a boiling water canner. Avoid using old canning recipes if they don't include it in each jar.

Personally, I freeze and dehydrate tomatoes. Canning is expensive if you don't already have the equipment and jars; plus the utilities to not only heat the boiling water or pressure canner, but all the energy it takes to cool your house while you're adding all kinds of heat to it doing your canning.

When you can a quart of tomatoes, you'll also need to USE it when you've opened it, so pints may work better for you. You can also process tomato juice or tomato and Vegetable Juice Blends, tomato sauce, salsa...

Here's information about freezing:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/tomato.html

Information about drying:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/dry/csu_dry_vegetables.pdf

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

I make my own version of V-8. Just cook the peeled tomatoes until soft, add carrots,celery, onion, parsley, and I put in a bit of winter savory, then simmer until it is the desired thickness.Put the concoction through a mill, strain, and when it is cool, pour into freezer containers or bags, and freeze. It taste great as a drink, and also makes a heck of a great base for soups!

• bobo101
    14 years ago

I can them (recipe from a lady who raises tomatoes commercially): To can - Boil a large pot of water. Cut and X on the top side of the tomato. Dip tomatoes in boiling water, then cut hard spot out and skin the tomatoes. After skinning tomatoes, put in a large pot along with 1 tsp. each of salt and 1 tsp. sugar for each quart to be canned (I just guess). Put a little water in bottom of pan (so they won't stick). Bring to a boil, then cut down to a simmer. Simmer about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize jars and lids. Ladle tomatoes and as much juice as you want into jars. Seal.

Tomato Pie - (from a lady who caters) Slice tomatoes thinly. Put on paper towel lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt (to remove water f/tomatoes). Cover w/another paper towel. Let set about 2 hours. You may have to exchange for fresh paper towel. Meanwhile, partially bake a store bought pie crust for 10 minutes. Also, in another bowl, chop 2-3 green onions w/tops, 1/2 cup fresh basil. Add 1/2 cup mayo, set aside. When ready to assemble, layer tomatoes on bottom of pie crust, then, mayo mxt., then tomatoes, top with cheddar cheese. Finish baking for about 45 minutes.

Then there's my ripe tomato relish, tomato juice, and tomato salsa.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I've been loving this one. Takes ten minutes, and you'll love to pull it out in the middle of winter when tomatoes are terrible :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato sauce

• caavonldy
    14 years ago

bobo101, in case you didn't read the post by grainlady above yours, your method of canning tomatoes could be unsafe. It is important to add lemon juice or citric acid to your tomatoes. They must be processed in a Boiling Water Bath for 10 minutes or processed in a PC. Telling people just to seal them is also unsafe. Someone new to canning might not understand how important it is to follow proper procedures. We don't want anyone to get sick because they used the wrong information.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz