Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cejaysau1

RECIPE: Need sausage recipes

cejay
11 years ago

Just made my first batch of sausage and it is boring. Does anyone have a good, flavorful recipe to share. We like spicey, but good flavor more important.

Comments (3)

• lindac
    11 years ago

I pretty well just do breakfast sausage....ground pork s little salt....a little brown sugar....and a goodley amount of rubbed sage and black pepper.
    For 2 pounds of meat....start with 1 rounded tablespoon of sage, 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper....mix...put about a teaspoon on a micro safe plate and cook about 30 seconds.....taste and add more of whatever it needs....likely more sage and pepper.
    I don't use a recipe....my rule of thumb is 3/4 tsp of salt per pound of meat.....and from there I experiment and taste as I go.
    Other nice additions are a thyme and parsley and lemon zest sausage.....or marjoram and sage. Other additions include applesauce and some bread crumbs ( so it's not too sloppy with the apple sauce) and maple syrup is nice in a thyme and marjoram sausage.
    Then you can get into the Italian sausages....lots of garlic powder, lots of paprika and some cayenne and oregano and cumin seeds.

The combinations are almost limitless.....just taste as you go and if it's flat add more seasoning and if it's too spicy add more unseasoned meat.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I like Alton Brown's breakfast sausage recipe. I make the patties and freeze the extra.

Breakfast Sausage

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Prep Time:
    30 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    1 hr 0 min
    Cook Time:
    15 min

makes 2 pounds or 16 (2-inch) patties

2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
    1/2 pound fat back, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Special equipment: meat grinder

Combine diced pork with all other ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork. Form into 1-inch rounds. Refrigerate and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. For immediate use, saute patties over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan. Saute until brown and cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Make lasagna and use half ground beef and half sausage - MMMMMMMM! You can cook the meats and sauce together, put it in freezer containers, label it with date and what it is, and put it in the freezer for a quick meal - this combo makes great tacos, burritos, etal.