Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky400_gw

RECIPE: Help need dinner Ideas for 7 Adults & 3 kids

Lucky400
16 years ago

I need some help planning my menu for tomorrow night for dinner. I am having cheese and crackers and salsa and chips for first.

Dinner Menu So Far:

2 chickens on the rotisserie (I think I really need 3 chickens but I don't think 3 chickens will fit on the spit.)

Grilled Hot dogs for the kids

Pasta Salad with fresh veggies, etc. in it.

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

Blueberry muffins

For dessert someone is bringing cake and I thought I would have some fresh fruit and also make brownies.

I need an idea for another main meat dish since 2 chickens won't be enough. Also I need some kind of vegetable dish - the fresh green beans looked awful in every market I've been too so I need some help there. Would the Asian style cole slaw work as a veggie or should I have a regular vegie or green salad?

I'm stumped. I appreciate any help you may have.

Thanks so much.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I think 2 chickens will be fine for 7 adults...if the chickens are good size....say about 4 pounds.
    As for a veggie? How about that corn salad?
    1 family sized package of frozen corn ( about 20 oz) Blanch quickly and chill ( drop into boiling water while still frozen, leave for 3 minutes, drain)
    Add 4 Roma tomatoes chopped and drained in a strainer
    one bunch of green oinion sliced, tops too
    1 red pepper in skinny strips
    2 can black beans rinsed and drained
    2 T chopped fresh cilantro.
    Toss all with 3 T EVOO and the juice of one lime.
    I also like to add some fine minced jalapeno and red pepper flakes.
    It keeps well, is good cold or at room temp and I think it goes well with chicken.
    With pasta salad, poratoes and muffins and another veggie side, 2 chickens will be fine.
    Linda C

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Here's a good recipe for shrimp cakes that I think would go well with the rest of your menu. I have made rosemary roasted potatoes to go with them. I think you could skip a veggi, since you are doing the veggi pasta, but I think a tossed salad would be nice. Asian slaw would be too strong a flavor that goes in the wrong direction, IMO.

These shrimp cakes are nice when having company as they are done ahead and quick to cook just before serving.

Gingered Shrimp Cakes

1 lb. large shrimp, cooked
    4 scallions, sliced, green parts included
    1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
    Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob (can use frozen)
    1 lg egg
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper
    1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided)

2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying)
    1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying)

Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture.
    Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix.
    Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary.
    Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours.

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes.

Chile Garlic Sauce (optional)

To make Chile-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket and is sweet) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche.

Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately.
    Makes four servings.

Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp.

Nancy

• Lucky400
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your great ideas! I can't wait to try them.

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

If you're serving another protein the two chickens should do fine. Otherwise, yes, you'll need a third one. Rotisserie chickens tend to be smallish. And the kids are likely to want some as well, depending on their ages.

Nancy's shrimp cakes are a good choice. Another possibility would be lamb patties with a minted aioli. Their quick and easy to make, and go with the other selections on your menu.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

I think another veggie dish would be a good idea even just for colour, it can be a salad or you could grill a selection of bell peppers or asparagus.

There are several recipes on this page for broccoli salad that would work. Cole slaw will to as long as it's not the same base as the pasta salad. (ie if the pasta sald is mayo based then the slaw should vinegar based or vice versa) A simple tomato, cuke and green pepper salad is always good.

When cooking for a gang, I love to serve ribs with chicken . I find it a great combo and always a hit.

• carla35
    16 years ago

I too agree you should do another meat especially since the kids may prefer the chicken over the hot dogs too and there may not be enough breast meat to go around. Maybe some pulled or shredded pork/beef already done and in the crock pot or something?

I also think you need a green veggie unless you do a green salad, then any non starch veggie would work. Spinach, broccoli, grilled zucchini or something. The slaw would work as a salad (which I think you need some sort of). Pasta salad to me usually works as a starch (more like a potato) but I usually serve as an extra. I also think a less sweet bread/roll may work better with the meal.

So your meal would look something like:
    Chicken, Hot Dogs, Extra meat
    Salad (either slaw or green)
    Potato dish
    Veggie
    Pasta Salad
    Bread/roll
    Fruit can be served with dinner too (the kids may especially like this if they are not big salad and veggie eaters)

• khandi
    16 years ago

I agree with Carla about the shredded pork/beef thing. Not all kids like hot dogs! Personally, that is the one food that I never fed my daughter while she was growing up. Every time there was some event happening (especially at school), there was always "hot dogs" for the kids. My daughter would have to bring something else to eat. She tried them several times but just couldn't stomach them. I don't much care for them myself unless they are cooked over an open fire and burnt! LOL

Your menu sounds really good!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!