Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Recipe for canning a couple of things

Posted by tnflower_lover (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 9:11

I have not attempted this in years and then did not turn out so well. I would love a recipe for cauliflower, carrots onions and pepper together.
Soon will have a ton of different hot peppers and need to know how to can these. Last time i tried they turned out mushy.
And also need to know about pickled eggs. Is there a recipe for these that do not have to be refrig?
And i would love a recipe for some sort of fruit jam.
Any help is greatly appericated.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Recipe for canning a couple of things

First off, head over to the harvest forum. That's where all the knowledgeable canners hang out, and all your questions will be answered.

Second, pick up a copy of the Ball Blue Book, which not only provides recipes for many of the things you ask about, but also walks you through the canning processes.

Now, as to your first question. Those are all low-acid veggies. If you can them you have to either add acid (i.e., pickle them) or use a pressure canner. Otherwise it's not safe.

Peppers almost always turn out soft and/or mushy when home canned. You'd be better off drying those. Or you can freeze them; but then they're only good for cooking.

I don't know of any way you can make pickled eggs that do not require refrigeration. Yes, there are commercial versions. But they use different methods for commercal canning, many of which are not replicable at home.

Hope this helps.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Recipe for canning a couple of things

This link is to the National Center for Home Food Preservation...it's my favorite reference. You'll find lots of info and good recipes here. There's a recipe for Pickled Mixed Vegetables...keep in mind you can swap the vegies as long as the proportions of vegies to pickling solution stay the same, and you can adjust seasonings to taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat'l Center for Home Food Preservation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here