Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Lowfat dressing that dont taste weird!

eileenlaunonen
15 years ago

Please share! TIA

Comments (5)

• lindac
    15 years ago

The best low fat dressing i know of is ohney, fresh lime juice and black pepper.
    Mix 1/4 cup honey with 2 T fresh lime juice and enough black pepper so that it looks "speckled". Taste it and add pepper to taste.
    It takes very little of this to flavor a salad...just toss well to distribute it well over the greens.
    Linda C

• annova914
    15 years ago

This is my favorite low fat dressing. You can omit the red bell pepper if you don't care for it. I now use Hellman's mayo with canola and think it tastes more like regular mayo. IMO this doesn't taste "low fat". Ann

Low Fat Thousand Island Dressing

1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
    a pinch of cayenne
    1/4 cup water

In a blender or food processor blend all ingredients and salt to taste until smooth, adding up to 2 tablespoons additional water if necessary to thin to desired consistency. Dressing keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week. Serve dressing with crisp lettuce, sliced tomatoes, or seafood salad.

Makes about 1 cup.

Each tablespoon about 12 calories and 0.3 grams fat (22% of calories from fat)
    Gourmet
    May 1996

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

Low Fat Honey Mustard Dressing

¼ cup fat free mayonnaise
    ¼ cup Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
    ¼ cup honey
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1/8 teaspoon paprika

Excellent with marinated chicken and greens, onions, etc.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

In the restaurant where I worked, we had no low fat dressing available, so I used to mix up a dressing for customers who asked for one. Red wine vinegar, lemon juice, a packet of Equal, black pepper, salt, & a squeeze of Dijon mustard, all whisked together.

I love a basic Greek salad dressing as well, and you can go easy on the olive oil if you like, just adding enough to have the flavor...just fresh lemon juice, EVOO, salt, pepper,& a bit of sugar or honey.

Another thing I learned is that when making a vinaigrette without much oil, rice wine vinegar is nice because it is milder than many other vinegars, and so doesn't need as much oil to tame it down.

Years ago, dieting, I took to eating salads with V-8 drizzled on for dressing....sounds odd, I know, but it tasted pretty good, actually.

• elphaba_gw
    15 years ago

Peel a cucumber and puree it in a food processor. Then add salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro, parsley, green onions, maybe honey and mustard though I never tried honey or mustard.

Bottom line is that the pureed cucumber provides the right consistency for a salad dressing with a nice flavor along with it. Play with the seasonings to please yourself.