Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

RECIPE: Roasted Sticky Chicken

teresa_nc7
17 years ago

A high heat roasted chicken is indeed delicious, but I tried a new recipe for slow/low roasted chicken yesterday that is really good also - and won't smoke up your house!

Roasted Sticky Chicken

Recipe By :Sharon Worster Personal Chef's Network

Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :5:00

Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 pounds whole chicken

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon paprika

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 large onion -- quartered

Combine all spices together in a small bowl. Rub mixture into chicken WELL, inside & out, patting into the skin & try to make it evenly distributed. Put in a large bag & refrigerate overnight. If you don't have time for this step it will still be delicious!

Just before roasting, stuff the cavity w/ onions. If the onion will fit into the cavity whole, I do it this way as we love baked onions.

Roast uncovered @ 250* (YES, THAT'S 250*) X 5 hours (YES, THAT'S 5 HOURS). Baste often w/ pan juices until they caramelize in the pan. Chicken will turn golden brown.

Sharon's NOTES : These freeze GREAT & I recommend you make several of them at one time since your oven is on for so long! This chicken is to die for & falls off the bone!!!

For Heating: You can bring these straight from the freezer if you want! I've done this for years in my own home & here's how I do it. From the freezer: Put in the microwave on a plate covered w/ papertowels & heat on high X 5-7 minutes. Then, place in a 350* oven X 15-20 minutes or until hot throughout.

Or, you can thaw in the refrigerator overnight, wrap in foil and heat in a low oven for 20-30 minutes.

Comments (35)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

My kind of recipe! I prefer slow or regular roasting with my oven & this sounds to die for. Bet lemons would be good in the cavity too, but like you I'm an onion fan.

Thanks for posting it - I'm saving it.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I do a whole chicken in the crockpot when I don't want to heat up the kitchen and am sure this is just as tender as the crockpot one........falls off the bone and is so nice and moist. Will have to try this one too. And I do use lemons in mine.

• woodie
    17 years ago

Sounds great, Teresa!

• KatieC
    17 years ago

We make this a lot...especially in the winter. Makes the house smell wonderful. I boil the carcass for a rich, spicy broth and it makes excellent soup (green chile stew and Sticky Chicken chowder are the favorites).

I've tried it with a handful of peeled garlic cloves instead of the onion, and I've tried different herb combos, but we always come back to the original recipe. Might have to try tossing in a lemon, though...that does sound good.

• mercury12
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting this recipe Theresa. I made on the weekend in my crockpot. I used lemon instead of the onion in the cavity. It was soo delicious. DH just loved it...This will go in my favourite recipe file.

Helen

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Ok, here's where I embarrass myself:

Why is it called "sticky" chicken?

• KatieC
    17 years ago

There's been some discussion over the years about the origin of this recipe(it was, apparently, one of James Beard's). One of the people who claims it said the name came from how sticky your hands feel after you rub in the herbs and spices.

• benflower
    15 years ago

Linda
    I want to make this recipe, but wondered if you use a roaster or fryer chicken, Can you please let me know asap. Want to do it tonight

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don't know which Linda you are referring to....but I think a roaster will be the better choice for this recipe.

Teresa

• benflower
    15 years ago

Sorry Teresa-- Looked at so many today--got mixed up-- BUT I already bought the fryer chicken (4.5 lbs)--and have already done the rub-- do you think it will be ok or should I not cook it as long? Thanks and sorry again for getting you mixed up with someone else.

• benflower
    15 years ago

Hey Teresa
    Did the sticky chicken for my daugther. Used a 4.5 lb fryer and cooked it like you said 5 hrs. at 250----IT TURNED OUT GREAT!!!! She has to take a meal to a friend that just had a baby and she said she is definitely going to use this recipe. How easy and delicious!!! THANKS A MILLION.
    Joyce

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad it turned out well for you! Thanks for reporting back your results.

Teresa

• sweetmichelia
    15 years ago

KatieC: Can you post your family favorites recipes, (green chile stew and Sticky Chicken chowder are the favorites).
    Thank you

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Teresa,
    We made the chicken on Saturday night and my dh and I just loved it. Have you ever cut the chicken into pieces and then baked it. I am just a flunkee about cutting a chicken once it is cooked. The pieces are hot to start with and I just don't do a good job. How long do you think you would cook it? yumm yumm. Deanna

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deanna,
    I recently found a recipe for sticky chicken that uses legs and thighs:

Sticky Chicken Legs and Thighs

Seasoning Mix
    4 t salt
    2 t paprika
    1 t cayenne pepper
    1 t onion powder
    1 t thyme
    1 t white pepper
    1/2 t garlic powder
    1/2 t black pepper

chicken leg quarters - one batch of seasoning mix is enough for 5 lbs of leg quarters
    1-2 cups chopped onion

In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Defrost leg quarters if frozen and cup between leg and thigh, removing extra skin if desired. Sprinkle seasoning on each piece, front and back. Place in a baking pan and top with the chopped onion.

Bake uncovered at 350 for at least one hour. The onions will caramelize and turn dark.

Bake some potatoes tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper in a separate dish while the chicken bakes.

I think I would probably put the onions underneath the chicken pieces as in the original recipe, so the skin on the chicken could get crispy. I also think I would bake at a lower temp - maybe 300F? - and for a longer period of time, checking a thick thigh after 2 hours. You need the temp to get up to 175-180 to be sure the chicken is completely cooked through.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That should be "cut" the leg quarters between leg and thigh. sheeeeesh....

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Teresa,
    Thanks for the alternative recipe. In our younger days we would buy rotisserie chicken and just put it between us and pick at it. I don't think I am all that much more sophisticated now :) but just don't cut a whole chicken very well. thanks a bunch. Deanna

• angelaid
    15 years ago

Can I still stuff the bird using the 5 hour roasting method?

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would not, angelaid. Stuffing is not to be held at low temps for that long a time. Put the stuffing in a baking dish and bake it at a higher temp after the roast chicken is done.

Teresa

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Sweetmichelia, I missed your request last fall. It's still soup season here...we had the chowder a couple of weeks ago.

Teresa, We got a beer butt chicken cooker and may have to try the sticky chicken spice mix with that. Hmmm....maybe make it tequila butt chicken, hehe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesy Sticky Chicken Chowder

Recipe By :Katie, April, 2001
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Soups

1 Sticky Chicken carcass
    3 potatoes
    1 small onion
    2 stalks celery
    2 cups corn -- fresh, frozen, canned or creamed
    1 can diced green chiles
    1 8 oz. brick cream cheese
    1/2 cup cream -- or evaporated milk

Pick meat off chicken and dice. Cover carcass with water and simmer 1/2-1 hour. Strain and cool broth. Skim off fat.

Cook potatoes, onion, and celery in broth until tender. Add diced chicken, corn and chiles. Heat through and stir in cheese and cream. Makes about 1 1/2 qt.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good with with cornmeal dumplings....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sticky Chicken and Green Chile Stew

Recipe By :Katie, Jan. 2001
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 Sticky Chicken carcass
    3 potatoes -- diced
    2 stalks celery -- sliced
    1/2 onion -- diced
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
    1 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles

Take as much meat as possible off the Sticky Chicken and dice. Barely cover anything that's left with water and simmer an hour or so. Pour through strainer, cool, and skim fat from top, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons.

Add remaining ingredients to the stock and simmer until the vegetables are done. Add water to barely cover vegies if necessary.

Melt the reserved fat with 2 tablespoons flour and stir into stew to thicken. Garnish with shredded jack cheese.

Makes 2 - 2 1/2 qt.

• starlightfarm
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for this recipe. Roasted/baked chicken is one of my most favorite dishes.

I tried it last night and it was WONDERFUL. Hubby loved it (reminded him of "Bojangles" chicken... he loves it spicy). It was a little too spicy for me.... but the 5 hour roasting method made it fall off the bone tender and juicy.

I've always done the high heat roasting method... which is delicious, but my oven stays so messy. I have now found my new roasted chicken recipe (maybe not so spicy next time!!).

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Foodon:
    Buy most of my Chickens at Walmart, from 3 to 4 1/2lbs.
    (Perdue ) $.85 to 89 cents a pound

I use them for Soup and Roasting, with stuffing.
    I'm sure you have seen the Photo's in this WFD.

I said before,I don't know what the fuss is over Roasting Chickens.
    Been doing it, since I was 11 years old. I stuff them because everyone likes the Stuffing.
    Didn't mean to Hijack .
    Lou

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Since there's been multiple positive feedback already, I think I'm ok to say that this method did not work out for me at all? You know you're in trouble when even the dark meat is completely dry!

Those of you who had success, are you using a gas oven? If so, I'm wondering if the moister heat made the difference.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry you did not have good success, foodonastump. Could it be that your oven runs hot? Might want to check it with an oven thermometer. Are you sure it was set at 250F? If you try it again you might want to check your chicken at 3 1/2 or 4 hours, then cook another half hour and check it again. Also, what size chicken were you roasting, pound wise? A smaller bird will take less cooking time.
    Teresa

• starlightfarm
    15 years ago

I roasted another chicken last night.... just as wonderful as the first. Extremely moist and delicious. My oven is electric.

For those of you that have roasted multiple chickens at one time.... do you have to increase the roasting time?? I'm thinking of making these for a big family get-together and would need to do four at one time. Also..... how would my convection oven work on this recipe? Do you think it would dry it out?

• franny_2009
    15 years ago

We have been making this recipe for years...got the original recipe right here on this forum...we ended up re naming it "Five Hour Chicken". My kids would come home from school and smell the aroma and say "Yipee Five Hour Chicken!" They now have moved into places of their own and make it themselves....we all triple the rub recipe and keep a jar on hand at all times...the rub works great on my BBQ Pork rib recipe as well!! Both are family favourites!!

• bobo101
    14 years ago

A friend gave me this recipe years ago and it is my family's favorite roasted chicken. It has always turned out perfect. I use leftovers (if there are any) to make a really good chicken salad, with chopped celery, some celery salt,white seedless grapes, slivered almonds, a bit of curry powder, a dash or two of lemon juice and some light mayo.

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

I found chicken on sale a few weeks ago and ended up roasting FOUR chickens at one time. They turned out great.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I made this last night and it was great. I followed the directions exactly except I left out the cayenne and I did not marinate the chicken. It was very moist and tender and better, to me, than high heat roasted. Also, I only basted once.
    I just used a Claxton's chicken from Wal Mart. It was 3.26 pounds.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Teresa, I'm intrigued by this recipe. I usually cook chicken at 450 because I hate when the skin isn't crispy. What is the skin like when it's done? Do you have to peel it off, or is it nice?

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm....if memory serves me right, the skin may not be as crispy as a high heat roasted bird, but it is definitely not limp and rubbery. I think it is close to a rotisserie style chicken. You could turn on the broiler briefly to crisp up the skin.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

That sounds good! I love rotisserie chicken. I might just have to do this on Friday :-D I'll see how it looks and then contemplate the broiler-- thanks!

• clownwacko
    13 years ago

teresa_nc7
    Last night I cooked your "Roasted Sticky Chicken" recipe. I'm going to use your own words. This chicken is to die for & falls off the bone!!! I cook two birds and plan to freeze one, for a meal next week. Thanks for a great recipe.
    Phil

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Clown! I'm glad you liked the recipe! The last time I made this I used turkey wings (the BEST part, IMO) and roasted the wings in my 6 qt. Nesco roaster - 250 degrees, almost 5 hours - I started checking at 4 hrs. The wings were sooooo yummy - all that crispy skin! I've got turkey thighs in the freezer now that I probably will cook the same way. You can use an instant read thermometer to be sure the parts are cooked completely.

Teresa

• janisoga
    13 years ago

As usual, I am always the last one to find out about something good. This sounds amazing, did anyone try to make the skin krispy without drying out the chicken? Can't wait to try it. Please respond to me, I can't always check the forum.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia