Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_in_germany

LOOKING for: Ruthanna's stir fry sauces

Lisa_in_Germany
16 years ago

RR, could you please post your stir fry sauces again? I have them saved in Mastercook, but can't access then with the Linux Operating System my DH installed.

Lisa

Comments (3)

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Here ya go in Ruthanna's own words.

I like to make stir fry sauces on the weekend and refrigerate them for use later in the week. Sometimes I'll stop at the grocery store salad bar and buy just enough vegetables for a stir fry. All three of these come from the now-defunct cafeteria Eden, which was located in downtown Philadelphia PA:
    STIR FRY SAUCES
    Each recipe makes 2 servings but can be doubled.
    BASIC STIR FRY SAUCE
    1 1/ 2 tsp. sesame oil
    1/ 2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/ 2 tsp. minced ginger
    1/ 2 cup chicken broth
    1 Tbs. soy sauce
    1 Tbs. brown sugar
    1/ 8 tsp. Tabasco
    1/ 2 tsp. salt
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1 1/ 2 tsp. lemon or lime juice
    1 1/ 2 tsp.cornstarch
    1 Tbs. rice wine or sherry
    Heat the sesame oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry 15-30 second over medium heat to bring out the flavor. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring just to a boil, stirring. Dissolve the cornstarch in the wine and whisk into the sauce. Heat until sauce thickens and reaches a full boil. Simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside.
    GARLIC SESAME STIR FRY SAUCE
    1/ 2 tsp. pepper
    2 Tbs. soy sauce
    3 Tbs. chicken broth
    1 Tbs. sugar
    2 1/ 4 tsp. lemon juice
    1/ 3 cup sesame oil
    2 1/ 4 tsp. minced garlic
    1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 1/ 2 tsp. water
    Combine the pepper, soy sauce, chicken broth, sugar and lemon juice. In a small saucepan heat the sesame oil. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute until soft but not browned. Add the soy sauce mixture and bring just to a boil. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and let boil 20 seconds. Remove from the heat.
    SZECHUAN STIR FRY SAUCE
    1 1/ 2 tsp. sesame oil
    1/ 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
    1/ 2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/ 2 cup chicken broth
    2 whole anise stars
    1 1/ 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
    1 Tbs. soy sauce
    1/ 2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. hoisin sauce
    1/8 tsp. Tabasco sauce
    1/ 8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1/ 8 tsp. 5 spice powder
    2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs. water
    Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and saute 1 minute until softened but not browned. In a bowl combine the remaining except for the cornstarch mixture. Add them to the saucepan and bring to a simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove star anise. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and let boil 1-2 minutes. Taste and add more Tabasco if desired.
    Adapted from The Frog/Commissary Cook Book by Steve Poses, Anne Clark and Becky Roller

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks, Beverly. I was at work when I saw this. Geez, Lisa, will you ever be able to get your recipes back from the computer?

• Lisa_in_Germany
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks also, Beverly.
    I can access them, but it involves opening the Virtual Windows program. I wanted to have your recipes within "reach" at all times. LOL
    Nice "seeing" you. Hope everything is going good with you. I have missed you.
    Lisa