Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: what is fry bread taco

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 1:00

I saw a advertisement for this today. Sounds good and different.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: what is fry bread taco

Check below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Navajo Fry Bread

o

I've copied a recipe that I have, but we have also been known to thaw frozen bread dough, slice it, flatten it into a disc and deep fry until brown. Then pile on taco toppings as you desire. In Minnesota they're also known as Uffda tacos. Enjoy!

Fry Bread Tacos

1 pound ground beef
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, with liquid
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup picante sauce

FRY BREAD:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk (scalded)
4 cups oil for frying, or as needed

o

Good Indian fry bread is heavenly! it can be the base for a Navajo taco or it can be covered with honey or powdered sugar and cinnamon, or honey and powdered sugar and cinnamon...or refried beans.
All the Indian fairs, festivals, Powwows, dances and celebrations that I have attended in the area south and west of Denver, feature a fry bread stand, with a line a mile long and Indian women patting out the dough, frying it and plopping it on paper plates to be handed to the waiting crowd to cover with the topping of their choice.
About 8 inches in diameter, light puffy and a little greasy, sort of a cross between a deep fried pancake and a flattened doughnut it's food for the Gods!
Linda C

o

Thank You for posting the fry bread information. I think I will have to try this for dinner tonight.

o

Here in NE Oklahoma, the Delawares and the Cherokee have pow-wows and such several times a year.

I love frybread. One of the Indian women told me she uses only two ingredients: buttermilk and self-rising flour.

o

I made the fry bread and love it. It is really great, different and pretty easy to make.
Thanks for sharing your recipes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here