Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

RECIPE: Home Made Soft Pretels

lazypup
16 years ago

Keep in mind that I am not a baker, in fact I am a retired Plumber but about a month ago I got a craving for a hot soft pretzel so I thought I would try my hand at making them. It may have begun as a silly idea but it went over so big here that when my wife went grocery shopping she brought back a big bag of flour and ten packs of yeast and gave me instructions to do it at least once a week now..LOL

This could be a fun recipe for the kids to help with.

Yield

6 large or 12 small pretzels.

Ingredients:

3-1/2cups all purpose flour

4Tbsp brown sugar

1 Package dried bakers yeast

1 cup warm water

sea salt

1 egg

Begin by activating the yeast. Put the package of dry yeast in a small bowl and add about 3tbsp of warm water and a bit of sugar. Let is set for about 20 minutes until if foams up.

Place 3-1/2cups of all purpose flour in a large mixing bowl and form a hollow depression in the flour.

Put one cup of hot water in a small bowl and add the brown sugar, stirring thoroughly then add the yeast and stir into the sugar water. Pour the brown sugar, water and yeast mix into the flour and stir until you have a sticky dough, then continue kneading the dough until you have worked all the flour in. (Knead about 5 minutes) then set the bowl in a warm place and cover with a towel to let the dough rise. When the dough has risen until it has nearly doubled in size lay out on a cutting board and roll into a long log about 3" in diameter and about 2' long. Cut the dough log into 6 equal pieces the long way, then take each piece and roll out until it is about the diameter of your finger and 2 to 3ft long.

Grab the two ends and cross them over so that they form and X with a loop over the top. Now grab the loop and fold it down over the X to get the final pretzel shape. Let the pretzels rise again for about 20 minutes.

Place about 3 inches of water in a large pot and add 1tsp of baking soda for each cup of water in the pot. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat just enough to maintain a light boil. Drop the pretzels in the water one at a time and boil about 3 to 4 minutes.

After boiling place the pretzels on a large cookie sheet and lightly brush with a mixture of egg and water, sprinkle with Sea Salt and bake in a 450degF oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Let cool slightly but serve warm:

I like to serve them with a garlic butter or honey mustard dipping sauce.

Garlic butter sauce-- i just melt margarine in the microwave and add Garlic powder to taste.

Honey Mustard sauce-- mix equal parts of honey and yellow prepared salad mustard (hot dog mustard) and stir thoroughly.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz