Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Home Made Soft Pretels

Posted by lazypup (lazypup@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 0:35

Keep in mind that I am not a baker, in fact I am a retired Plumber but about a month ago I got a craving for a hot soft pretzel so I thought I would try my hand at making them. It may have begun as a silly idea but it went over so big here that when my wife went grocery shopping she brought back a big bag of flour and ten packs of yeast and gave me instructions to do it at least once a week now..LOL

This could be a fun recipe for the kids to help with.

Yield
6 large or 12 small pretzels.

Ingredients:
3-1/2cups all purpose flour
4Tbsp brown sugar
1 Package dried bakers yeast
1 cup warm water
sea salt
1 egg

Begin by activating the yeast. Put the package of dry yeast in a small bowl and add about 3tbsp of warm water and a bit of sugar. Let is set for about 20 minutes until if foams up.

Place 3-1/2cups of all purpose flour in a large mixing bowl and form a hollow depression in the flour.

Put one cup of hot water in a small bowl and add the brown sugar, stirring thoroughly then add the yeast and stir into the sugar water. Pour the brown sugar, water and yeast mix into the flour and stir until you have a sticky dough, then continue kneading the dough until you have worked all the flour in. (Knead about 5 minutes) then set the bowl in a warm place and cover with a towel to let the dough rise. When the dough has risen until it has nearly doubled in size lay out on a cutting board and roll into a long log about 3" in diameter and about 2' long. Cut the dough log into 6 equal pieces the long way, then take each piece and roll out until it is about the diameter of your finger and 2 to 3ft long.

Grab the two ends and cross them over so that they form and X with a loop over the top. Now grab the loop and fold it down over the X to get the final pretzel shape. Let the pretzels rise again for about 20 minutes.

Place about 3 inches of water in a large pot and add 1tsp of baking soda for each cup of water in the pot. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat just enough to maintain a light boil. Drop the pretzels in the water one at a time and boil about 3 to 4 minutes.

After boiling place the pretzels on a large cookie sheet and lightly brush with a mixture of egg and water, sprinkle with Sea Salt and bake in a 450degF oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Let cool slightly but serve warm:

I like to serve them with a garlic butter or honey mustard dipping sauce.

Garlic butter sauce-- i just melt margarine in the microwave and add Garlic powder to taste.

Honey Mustard sauce-- mix equal parts of honey and yellow prepared salad mustard (hot dog mustard) and stir thoroughly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Home Made Soft Pretels

If you can make soft pretzels, you are no "lazypup". Thanks for sharing your recipe. Will put it away until fall here in TX.

o

Thanks for posting these lazypup -- they sound delicious and like lots of fun! Will go into my to-try file!

Emily

o

Try this Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce!

http://www.squidoo.com/honey-mustard-sauce

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce and Salad Dressing Recipe

o
RE: RECIPE: Home Made Soft Pretzels

I haven't tried this one yet but its very similar and much easier.

Soft Pretzels

Pretzels are a great anytime snack. Use frozen dough to make them just the way you like them.

Skill: Beginning Prep Time: 20 Bake Time: 15-20 Servings: 8

Ingredients:
16 Rhodes Dinner Rolls, or 8 Rhodes Texas Rolls, thawed but still cold
1 tablespoon baking soda
coarse salt

Roll 2 dinner rolls combined or one Texas roll into a 16-inch rope. Form into a pretzel shape. Repeat with remaining rolls and place on large sprayed baking sheets. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap and let rise 30-45 minutes. In a large saucepan, bring 6-inches of water with 1 Tbs. baking soda to boil. Remove plastic wrap and slip pretzels, a few at a time, into gently boiling water. Boil for 30 seconds on each side. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on cooling rack. Sprinkle with coarse salt or other desired toppings. Return to sprayed baking sheet. Bake immediately at 375�F 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Here is a link that might be useful: soft pretzels

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here