Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol_schmertzlersiegel

RECIPE: Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Glaze

We had this tonight on grilled chicken wings, it was delicious! Very easy to make, I used a stick blender instead of a food processor. It's a really good sweet-hot (not too hot!) sauce!

Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Glaze

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

8 ounces cherry preserves (3/4 cup)

1/4 cup minced seeded chipotle chile in adobo sauce

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup cider vinegar

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until bubbling, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let cool before using. The glaze can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.

NOTES : Use this spicy, smoky, sweet barbecue sauce to glaze grilled meat or poultry in the last few minutes of cooking. It can also be served on the side. from Food and Wine June 2005

Comments (11)

• woodie
    18 years ago

Thanks Carol, I had already copied this and saved it from the other thread! Sounds wonderful and, according to your hubs, even my Ken will eat it, its not too hot!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woodie, he said it was smoky sweet first, then you could taste the chipotle a little bit, just enough! I used more cherry preserves (whole jar of Smuckers, 12 ounce I think)) than it called for.

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

1/4 cup of chipotles? AY CARAMBA ME BOCA IS EN FUEGO!!!!

Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL, Jessy! I thought more "me butt es en fuego!!!" I only used 2, it was enough (I forgot to add that part?!) Gracias! Maybe I mentioned that on the TGIF thread, anyway, wimpy family liked it with two chipotle's!

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I made this on Sunday and we liked it , excellant recipe. I roasted chicken thighs in the oven then spread with the glaze during the last 10 minutes.

When fresh sour cherries are in season this year I am going to try to come up with a recipe to make the whole thing from scratch and can it. Wish me luck.

Nancy

Original Author
    18 years ago

Good luck :)

Adam (DS) keeps asking me to make it again, so I'm making it again tonight!

Nancy, let me know how it turns out!

• san_
    18 years ago

i know i'd like to try this (even if i did cut way back on the pepper/adobo sauce) and guess i'll have to save it fo when we next have company over because ted is an even bigger wimp than i! but the sound of the cherry/pepper mix really is appealing to me!

you asked for the raspberry/pepper recipe, carol. i got it from epricurious.com--the sandwiches were terrific and i used the leftover sauce as a finishing touch on a roasted pork tenderloin. hope you'll enjoy it too!

Zuni Rolls with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
    Smoked Turkey, Cheese, and Bacon Tortilla Rolls

For chipotle sauce:
    1 cup fresh raspberries or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup Ruby Port
    1 drained canned whole chipotle chile in adobo
    For Zuni rolls:
    2 scallions
    two 9- to 10-inch flour tortillas
    2/3 cup coarsely grated Havarti (about 2 ounces)
    1/4 pound thinly sliced smoked turkey breast
    6 slices crisp-cooked bacon

Make chipotle sauce:
    In a small saucepan combine sauce ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. In a blender or food processor puree sauce and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
    Make Zuni rolls:
    Finely chop scallions. Arrange tortillas on a work surface and divide Havarti, turkey, bacon, and scallions evenly between them. Drizzle some chipotle sauce over filling and gently roll up tortillas.
    In a lightly oiled skillet toast rolls, starting with seam sides down, over moderately high heat, turning them, until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes. Diagonally halve tortillas crosswise and serve remaining sauce separately.

Serves 2.
    Gourmet
    You Asked For It; Cottonwood Café, Boston MA
    August 1998

Original Author
    18 years ago

San, thanks, that looks so good! I'll be making this very soon (I have leftover chipotles!), matter of fact I have everything except the smoked turkey breast! I'll pick that up tomorrow!

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Carol, thanks so much for this recipe. We had it last night on Turkey Burgers. It was delicious, made the boring burgers really good.

-Robin

Original Author
    18 years ago

Robin, great idea to put it on turkey burgers, my son is addicted to the sauce on wings, he'd love it on a turkey burger! Thanks! Glad you liked it!

San, I amde ZUni rolls for Larry and I, was really good, thanks for the recipe. I used a ton of the sauce, got a little messy but really good, I used Muenster instead of Havarti!

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

That the cherries and peppers sound like a winning combination. Thanks.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions