Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onryhortus

RECIPE: beef roast marinade

onryhortus
18 years ago

I am going to rotisserie a 8 lb. beef roast for Mothers day. I would like a nice marinade to soak it in for a day or two before cooking. Anyone have a favorite marinade? Thank you for any replies.

Comments (3)

• potpie
    18 years ago

I like using a cabernet wine, lots of fresh mashed garlic, olive oil, thin sliced onions, and lots of black pepper, and a nice touch of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

For some leaner roasts, I will baste with a nice brushing of bacon fat.

• pat_t
    18 years ago

SPICY MARINATED EYE OF ROUND ROAST

1 (3-5 lb.) eye of round roast
    3 sweet onions, sliced
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Spicy Sauce:
    Chopped fresh parsley
    2 cups ketchup
    2 cups water
    2 large sweet onions, sliced
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 Tblsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. hot sauce
    1 bay leaf

Place roast in a roasting pan; add onions, salt and pepper. Bake, covered, at 325° for 3 hours and 30 minutes. Cool and cut into thin slices. Place in a large ovenproof container; add Spicy Sauce. Cover and chill 8 hours. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temp. 30 minutes.
    Bake at 350° F. for 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired. Serve with mashed potatoes.

For sauce: Bring all ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; reduce heat to low, and cook 1 hour. Cool. Discard bay leaf. Yield 7 cups.
    Slow-Cooker Method: Cut roast in half, and place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir together ingredients for Spicy Sauce, and pour over uncooked roast. Cook at High 9 hours; remove roast. Cool slightly, and cut into thin slices. Return slices to slow cooker, and cook 1 more hour. Serves 8.

Source: Southern Living, November 1999 issue.

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Pat, that's an interesting recipe...any pics of what it looks like or how it's served? It seems like the first method could be dry? I'm sure it absorbs the sauce which I see as a barbeque sauce. Serve it on buns?

I think I used to (35+ yrs ago)marinate eye of round in a good oily vinagrette...heavy on the oil, and then roast it rare.

When we lived in Thailand they used to take very lean beef/buffalo and submerge it in vegetable oil, and let it soak in for a day or more. Drain it and grill etc and it was often passed off as Kobe beef. I've done this oil submerge with lean cuts myself and it certainly allows you to cook a non-marbled cut to a rarer temperature.

Maureen