Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Can I substitute honey for molasses in a bread recipe

Posted by rosewest (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 21:25

My bread turned out darker than I want it. Can I make an even exchange---equal parts honey for the molasses?
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Can I substitute honey for molasses in a bread recip

The bread wouldn't taste anywhere near the same. If I remember correctly, there are different darkness to molasses -- black strap being the darkest. Perhaps you might try to find one of the lighter ones. Or, you could substitute some of the molasses with corn syrup.

o

I often swap honey and molasses in bread recipes (yeast or quick breads) when I'm out of one or the other, so feel free. It will make a difference in flavor but not a bad one -- just a difference. I've always liked the resulting bread, whichever way I've gone. Happy baking!

o

I agree with carol ann -- I've done this often, going in both driections, and the result may taste different from the original recipe (usually not that different unless the original called for lots and lots of molasses) but has always been delish!

Emily

o

I agree, I often swap honey for molasses. Although I love molasses, my daughter doesn't so she prefers bread made with honey.

The flavor is milder and maybe a bit sweeter with honey than molasses, but I like it either way.

Annie

o

How about using sorghum in place of molasses or honey??
I have all three products, but would love to use up the sorghum. It is rather thick, and I always have to heat it to use it.
Is anyone on the forum experienced with sorghum?

Jan

o

Thank you for all your responses---I plan to use the honey but I'm concerned whether to substitute the SAME AMOUNT of honey as the molasses called for in the recipe??? It just calls for 2 T. molasses. Do I use 2 T. honey?
Thanks in advance!

o

Yep....same...or more...or less....doesn't really matter...bread is not an exact science.
I have used sorghum in bread lots...just use it like you would molasses.
Linda C

o

yes -- use the same amount -- although, as mentioned, bread is a flexible kind of thing, so exactness isn't critical. Use a tad more if you want a slightly sweeter bread, etc. You may have to change the amount of flour used *slightly* but most recipes give you a range of amount of flour, rather than a precise measurement. Even humidity can affect what makes the dough come out right, so just be prepared to play a little. Sometimes I've thrown in a egg where not called for, or changed flours, or added some oatmeal in place of part of the flour... you get the idea! The more you bake, the more you'll have fun with it. Good luck and have fun!

o

Substituting honey for molasses? Depends on how much is used in the bread. If it's a yeast or quick bread and the amount is less than 1/2 c., probably no problem using honey for molasses, but when using equal amounts, you'll find more sweetening from the same amount of honey as you would get from molasses.

Be aware that foods brown quickly when using honey. To adjust for over-browning, reduction of temperature by 25 is sometimes advised (especially when the amount of honey is 1/2 cup or more), or you can cover your bread with a tent of foil for a period of time, to prevent over-browning or even burning before it's completely baked.

Molasses (blackstrap) is 70% sucrose and is about one-half as sweet as sugar. While honey is fructose, glucose, and sucrose and can be 20% to 60% sweeter than white sugar, but with a composition very similar to table sugar. So if substituting large amounts of molasses with honey, you may need to reduce the amount of honey because it's much sweeter than molasses.

You could also try using 1/2 molasses and 1/2 honey. Molasses does add some flvoring, as well as coloring.

I'll add information about sorghum (aka sorghum syrup/sorghum molasses) for Jan "gourd friends". While molasses is made from sugar cane or sugar beets, sorghum comes from the sorghum plant and it's properties are very similar to those of black-strap molasses and are good substitutes one for another. Watch out for "blended" sorghum products. Many are cut with high-fructose corn syrup, which makes it sweeter than plain old sorghum.

You can add to this syrupy mix, 100% pure cane syrup (like Steen's), treacle (another name for molasses), golden syrup, and maple syrup. All can usually be substitutes one for the other, but all have different flavors and will differ in sweetness.

There are a number of substitions that can be made for molasses; for a cup of molasses the following may be used (with varying degrees of success): 1 cup honey, or cup firmly packed brown sugar, or 1 cup dark corn syrup, 1 cup granulated sugar with 1/4 cup water, or 1 cup pure maple syrup.

-Grainlady

o

I don't find sorghum syrup much like black strap molasses at all...
There isn't the straining and the "bottom of the barrel" issues with sorghum.
There are 2 small sorghum molasses making facilities near me and I have watched it being made more than2 or 3 times.
The process is roughly rolling the stalks ( which do resemble sugar cane) through a roller mill, saving and straining the resultant juice and cooking off the water. Actually the process is more like making maple syrup than molasses in that the syrup is the end product, not a by product.
The longer you cook the syrup, the darker it gets. I love the taste in breads....a little "grassier" than molasses...
I'm out...need to buy some!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorghum

o

I have a recipe that says "unsulphured molasses, NOT blackstrap molasses." It's whole wheat bread. Is it really going to matter??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here