Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaddy101

LOOKING for: kid friendly recipes for summer

shaddy101
12 years ago

wondering if anyone might have some easy recipes for younger kiddos, perhaps 10 or so, to prepare themselves snacks etc., nutricioous and easy of course!

I would like to share with others, and let the kids make their own snacks, watching them prepare, but need something simple and not too pricey. Can anyone help out here?

Comments (7)

• blizlady
    12 years ago

My 12 year old granddaughter loves to make smoothies. Perhaps a 10 year old may need a little help if you don't already have your blender on the counter. But I keep yogurt and frozen berries on hand so all she has to do is put a hand full of frozen berries in a blender, a container of yogurt and a splash of milk or juice.

Microwave popcorn is a favorite too. I keep a container of cleaned and cut up carrot and celery sticks in the fridge along with some low fat ranch dressing. And spreading peanut butter on saltines or ritz crackers is always another favorite.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

and grape jelly on saltines was a favorite. We loved to spread p-nut butter down a celery length and then stick on raisins. Yum! I still like it.

Grainlady posted this:

PUMPKIN PUDDING

15-oz. can pumpkin
    1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
    1-1/2 c. milk
    3.5-ounce package instant vanilla pudding (sugar-free will also work, if desired)

Mix pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
    Slowly stir in the milk. Mix well.
    Add the instant pudding mix and stir slowly for about one minute until it thickens.
    Chill the mixture in the refrigerator.

Clown Face sandwiches were a fav. We had to use the oven broiler in those days but toaster ovens work great today.
    Place a slice of American cheese on a slice of bread.
    Using a squeeze bottle of catsup (we had a big fat plastic red tomato) squeeze eyes (small blobs) and a mouth on the cheese square.
    Broil just til cheese begins to bubble.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Taught middle school home ec and kids enjoyed making these.

We called them Angels on Horseback, no idea why!

Take a pkg of brown 'n serve rolls

Roll each on in condensed milk and then in coconuT

Bake according to package until coconut is lighty toasted

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

One more from my teaching days.

Knox blocks

4 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin 3 pkgs. 3 oz Jello (Any flavor) 4 cups Boiling water

Preparation
    1. Stir until dissolved. Make sure of this or you will get a film on the bottom.

2. Pour into 9 x 13 pan and refrigerate until completely set set.Cut into any size square you desire.

I usually cut them so they would be bite size.

Enjoy!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Young and old alike enjoy these BBQ Cups! The kids could pat out the biscuits, grate the cheese, fill the cups, and with help at the stove, make the filling.

Barbecue Cups

3/4 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup barbeque sauce
    1 tablespoon dried minced onion
    1 (12 ounce) package refrigerated biscuit dough
    1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cups of a muffin pan.
    2.In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, cook beef until evenly brown. Drain excess fat. Stir in barbeque sauce and dried onion. Simmer for a few minutes over low heat.
    3.Flatten each biscuit, and press into cups of the prepared muffin pan. Make sure the dough comes to the top of the pan. Spoon a portion of the meat mixture into each dough cup.
    4.Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 3 more minutes.

These freeze well, if they last that long. And you can vary the cup type:

pizza cups with Italian sausage, pizza sauce, mozzarella
    Mexican cups with ground beef, taco seasoning or sauce, and Monterrey Jack
    chopped ham, drained pineapple tidbits, cheddar
    bierocks cups with onion and shredded cabbage browned with the ground beef, American cheese on top

Teresa

• sosusie
    12 years ago

Made Teresa's barbeque cups yesterday...yummy!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Glad you liked the BBQ cups! Try pizza cups next - if you like pizza that is.

Teresa

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!