Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Polenta as an appetizer.....

eileenlaunonen
14 years ago

So Ive never made Polenta...I've viewed several recipes and thought id try it... so i sauted onion mushrooms and garlic finely diced with white wine butter and evoo...then i add chicken broth and polenta...finished at the end with some gorgonzola (maybe 2oz)....UGH!!! horrible taste!!! I must have done something wrong after setting it up in the refrig to cut into bite size pieces of course i popped one...spit it out the rest went into the garbage can...It set up good but the combo of taste was horrible looking for and Italian flavored one..Help with a T&T recipe.TIA

Comments (7)

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

The polenta I make has always been very basic. Not much added to it but parm. cheese. This is the recipe I use. It comes from my hors d'oeuvres and appetizers cookbook.

3 2/3 cups water
    1 1/4 cups instant polenta
    1 tsp salt
    5 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 TBSP olive oil
    loaf pan, oiled

Bring water to a boil in a large pan. Stir in polenta and salt. Cook stirring constantly,until thick (About 5-10 minutes). Stir in cheese and pepper. Pour hot polenta into loaf pan and cool completely. When cooled unmold from pan and cut into slices. I cut the slices into triangles and put them on a lined baking sheet. Brush them with olive oil. Put them under a broiler til they get a little toasty brown, maybe 2-3 minutes. Cool them and top them with a topenade or salsa. What ever you feel like putting on top. Enjoy, NancyLouise

• becky_ca
    14 years ago

I prefer polenta warm, but this one has a nice flavor that might work as a base after it's been cooled and sliced.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesy Polenta

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups whole milk
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring milk, water, and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook 20 minutes, until creamy, lifting the lid and stirring every 3 or 4 minutes to prevent sticking. Remove pot from stove, stir in pepper and butter. Gradually stir in cheese. Serve.

Source:
    "www.allrecipes.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Made 10-2-08 Used 1/2 & 1/2 for milk and subbed parmesan for cheddar.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!!!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Eileen here's a recipe I really like, it's a Rachel Ray recipe for fried polenta discs with a picante topping mixed with marscapone cheese. I have made it before. It would make a fast, easy appetizer. The recipe calls for premade polenta, but you could make your own instead of buying it in a package.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fried polenta discs with marscapone cheese.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That looks like a nice recipe thanks!!!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Eileen.....how old is your corn meal?
    What you put into that polenta should have been delicious.
    I have a couple of times had rancid or old cornmeal....even once fresh from the store....and it can be simply horrible!
    Now I alwayst aste corn meal before I use it for any sort of bitter taste.
    But that recipe you posted sounded very good to me....unless your cornmeal was over the hill.
    Linda c

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Here is one from Giada that I made over the holidays. It was a hit, and there were no leftovers!

Polenta Squares With Mushroom Ragu

2 cups boiling water

3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning

1/2 cup quick-cooking polenta

1 tablespoon olive oil

8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning

1 clove garlic, minced

3/4 cup dry Marsala

1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Bring the water, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir constantly until the polenta thickens, about 5 minutes. Pour the polenta into a greased 9 by 9-inch baking pan, spreading so that it is 1/3-inch thick. Cover and let stand at room temperature until set, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and saute until the juices evaporate, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 2 minutes longer. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Add the Marsala. Cover and simmer until the Marsala has reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Stir the flour and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl to form a paste, then stir the paste into the mushroom mixture. Cover and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir the parsley into the ragu. Season the ragu, to taste, with more salt and pepper.

Cut the polenta into 36 bite-size squares. Arrange the polenta squares on a platter. Spoon the warm ragu atop the polenta and serve immediately.

Linda

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz