Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vampiressrn_gw

LOOKING for: White House Salad Dressing

vampiressrn
13 years ago

Does anyone remember the white creamy salad dressing that was in a tall skinny glass jar from the 1950's called "White House Salad Dressing". I think my Mom used to get it in San Diego at the De Falco's Grocery store. I have searched for it for years, but can't find it...would love the recipe if anyone knows of it.

Comments (23)

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Something like this?

White House Salad Dressing

Keep refrigerated in a tightly capped container and the dressing will last 3 weeks without spoilage. --The White House, Wilmington, Vermont
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 pints heavy mayonnaise
    1-1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 tablespoons celery seed
    Salt and pepper to taste

Put buttermilk in saucepan and heat until it simmers. Let cool. Place mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, celery seed, and salt and pepper in large bowl. Whisk together. When buttermilk is cool, add to mayonnaise mixture. Pour mixture into tightly capped container and refrigerate.
    Yield:
    Makes 5 cups

And here is another:

3 cups mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup honey
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com

I hope you will let us know if either of these is close to what you remember? And also, how is this type of dressing used?

• Luv2cooke
    10 years ago

I have never made this but it looks delicious.

• gmadonna1145
    8 years ago

I have been looking for this too love it! I'm from So Cal also... now live in. Missouri

• muddypawsgang
    8 years ago

I remember it too! I lived in Santa Barbara County (Lompoc) and I used to get it there too. I think the first recipe might be right. I'll try to make it and let you know. Another one... Clearman's spread, a cheese spread from So Cal. Google it, I found the recipe on line then I found it in Albertson's.

• gmadonna1145
    8 years ago

Thanks for the white house dressing receipe. I'm going to try to make it. Let you know!

• Bonnie Johnson
    7 years ago

The White Dressing brings back so many wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing the recipe

• Gail
    7 years ago

I have been looking for this for years as well, lived in So Ca. Needed a dressing with no sugar, found this via my MIL. Was able to get it at Safe Way, but no luck anymore. Love that dressing. Will try these recipes. Thank you.

• Doris Cooley
    6 years ago

Hey. We also got it at defalcos. Did you grow up in OB/PL?

• HU-96541565015
    5 years ago

Gerard's made White House Dressing, but discontinued it years ago. It made great potato and macaroni salads. It also was,the best on the 24 hour layered salad. I have never found anything to replace it. Why doesn't Gerard's get with it? If they would promote it for the above salads, I think it would be a hit.

• sooz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What's the thought behind heating the buttermilk???

• HU-621260395
    4 years ago

I grew up in Southern California in the 60's and 70's. I remember my mom buying White house dressing at our local Safeway. We used it on our pork chops. I would also like to find the recipe. Has anyone tried the posted recipes?

• Denise Duvall
    3 years ago

We used to by it by the case! Great stuff! I grew up in Long Beach, CA in the 60’s-70’s.

• Jennifer Falk
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes; and I’ve been looking for it for years!!!!Soooooo good!!!

• Jennifer Falk
    3 years ago

Denise Duvall , me too!!!!

• HU-842178271
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My family grew up on this salad dressing & have searched for the recipe for decades! PLEASE...if anyone has found it, PLEEEEASE email the recipe to me! My email is: humbuggy@yahoo.com

...I can't thank you enough!!!! 😀👍

• HU-162700807
    2 years ago

Have not tried this yet but will as soon as I get home. Gerrards White House was my all time favorite until I started counting calories.

WHITE HOUSE SALAD DRESSING

Keep refrigerated in a tightly capped container and the dressing will last 3 weeks without spoilage. –The White House, Wilmington, Vermont

INGREDIENTS

1 cup buttermilk

2 pints heavy mayonnaise

1-1/2 tablespoons dry mustard

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons celery seed

Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

Put buttermilk in saucepan and heat until it simmers. Let cool. Place mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, celery seed, and salt and pepper in large bowl. Whisk together. When buttermilk is cool, add to mayonnaise mixture. Pour mixture into tightly capped container and refrigerate.

YIELD:

Makes 5 cups

• Christine Reed
    2 years ago

I have been trying to find it as well. We used to put it on Broccolli and other vegies. I’m wondering if it was a So. Cal thing, as it seems that everyone that remembers it was from CA.

• Ken Stanton
    last year

I'd love to know how one can simmer buttermilk without it curdling? Happens almost instantly when brought up to any kind of simmer it seems? We used it mostly on Baked Potatoes, nothing like it! I'm cutting this recipe in close to quarters don't need 5 cups, I think it came in a 1 pint jar when they made it and my guess as to why they discontinued is the very short shelf life compared to there other products. Hope it works love me some White House yummm! Guess I'll try room temp buttermilk

• Ken Stanton
    last year

Also, can't see the recipe with brown sugar and worshisher sauce being right it was very light like mayonnaise in color, we'll see

• Ken Stanton
    last year

Okay folks, no idea why no one else has commented but the first recipe is extremely close to what I remember! Yahoo White House is back! Super easy to make took like 5 minutes, go for it you'll be glad you did

• Denise Duvall
    last year

Glad to hear it! I will def give it a try!!!

• Ken Stanton
    5 months ago

I think it was discontinued because of short shelf life. The first recipe above is it, exactly! Not the one with Worcestershire sauce