Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: White House Salad Dressing

Posted by vampiressrn (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 19:41

Does anyone remember the white creamy salad dressing that was in a tall skinny glass jar from the 1950's called "White House Salad Dressing". I think my Mom used to get it in San Diego at the De Falco's Grocery store. I have searched for it for years, but can't find it...would love the recipe if anyone knows of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: White House Salad Dressing

Something like this?

White House Salad Dressing

Keep refrigerated in a tightly capped container and the dressing will last 3 weeks without spoilage. --The White House, Wilmington, Vermont
1 cup buttermilk
2 pints heavy mayonnaise
1-1/2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons celery seed
Salt and pepper to taste

Put buttermilk in saucepan and heat until it simmers. Let cool. Place mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, celery seed, and salt and pepper in large bowl. Whisk together. When buttermilk is cool, add to mayonnaise mixture. Pour mixture into tightly capped container and refrigerate.
Yield:
Makes 5 cups

And here is another:

3 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions:
1. In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, honey, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt together until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2010 Allrecipes.com

I hope you will let us know if either of these is close to what you remember? And also, how is this type of dressing used?

o

I just found this post, so don't know if you'll see this. I grew up in SoCal eating White House dressing and loved it. I've been looking for it for a long time. I was just wondering if you tried either of these recipes and if either one came close to tasting like the original White House dressing. Thanks!

o

I have never made this but it looks delicious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here