Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Hawaiian Recipe from Kailua-Kona?

Posted by sprout_wi (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 19:15

Hi- There is (or was) an old brown brick restaurant, oceanfront, in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. It has an open veranda where you can sit and look out on the ocean - right where the Iron-Man Triathlon swimming competition starts. This restaurant (name?) has a fish dish that is ONO/good. The owner's grandmother makes it.

It is an Ono fish dish with a batter or flour-based coating which seems to have sauerkraut in it. The sauerkraut taste is very mild, but SO good. I actually made a trip from Wisconsin to Hawaii for another taste of this great dish. Does anyone know the name of the restaurant or a similar recipe? It has been a while and I have forgotten.

Mahalo - thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Hawaiian Recipe from Kailua-Kona?

I found this recipe using Perch instead of the Ono.

Perch in Sauerkraut Potato Crust

1 lb perch, portioned into 8 fillets, skinned
2 Idaho potatoes
1 lb. Sauerkraut
1 egg or 1/2 c beer batter (see recipe below)
8 leaves Swiss chard, blanched, shocked and drained
1 c malt beer
1/4 c diced COLD butter
1/4 c fish fumet (stock)
1 large carrot
5 scallions
1 bunch parsley
oil, salt, pepper
Saran Wrap

1. Prepare beer batter.
2. Peel and coarsely grate potatoes (use Box grater).
3. Blend sauerkraut and beer batter.
4. On a sheet of plastic wrap, spread potatoes in a thin layer.
5. Top the potato layer with the sauerkraut-beer batter mixture.
6. Butterfly each perch fillet and place it on a leaf of Swiss chard.
7. Bring one edge of the Swiss chard toward the center of the fish fillet, fold the fish and wrap it with remainder of the leaf.
8. Place the fish on the sauerkraut-beer batter mixture top it with a little Sauerkraut and put a second wrapped fish fillet on top of the first one.
9. Fold the edges of the saran wrap in such a way that the fish is completely encased by the sauerkraut and potato coat.
10. Heat oil in a pan and with the help of the saran wrap move the fish into the pan, removing the wrap. Brown the fish on both sides and transfer it to a 375F oven and bake it for a few minutes.

SAUCE:
Combine fish fumet and malt beer in a saucepan, reduce the liquid and finish by whisking in cold butter.
Serve the fish on a pool of the Dark Beer Beurre Blanc, garnished with glazed carrots, blanched scallions and deep-fried parsley

o
RE: RECIPE: Hawaiian Recipe from Kailua-Kona?

Thank you so much. I don't recall any vegetables, but this gives me a great recipe to play with. I really appreciate your help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here