Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

LOOKING for: Trying to create a new muffin! Help! Please!

woodenzoo
16 years ago

First off, I'll admit, that this is a strange request.

I've searched for cream cheese muffin recipes and they all seem to be sweet muffins.

(OK, the strange part...) I want to make muffins using Limburger Cheese Spread (the processed stuff in the jar).

I was thinking of using the following basic muffin recipe and adding the Limburger Cheese Spread to it, but don't know how much to add or if I should reduce any other ingredients.

Does anyone have any recipes that I could adapt with the Limburger or suggestions with this recipe?

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1 tablespoon sugar

* 3/4 cup milk

* 2 eggs, beaten

* 1/4 cup melted shortening

PREPARATION:

Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Combine remaining ingredients; add to dry ingredients all at once. Blend just until dry ingredients are moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake at 425° for 25 minutes.

Makes 12 plain muffins.

Many thanks from me and my son!

Cathy

Comments (5)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Well...I have never done it before...but I see no reason why it wouldn't work...
    1 1/2 cups flour...mix with
    3 tsps baking powder ( I like 1 stp BP per 1/2 cup of 1 T sugar...more gives that bitter taste)
    3T shortening..or butter ( not melted)
    2T cheese spread...cream it together with the shortening....and refrigerate until firm. ( my idea here is to mik the limburger evenly into the batter.
    Then cut the cheese shortening mix into the dry ingredients until like corn meal/
    Beat together 3/4 cups milk and 2 eggs and add to the dry stuff...mix ( don't beat) and pour into greased muffin cups and bake at 400 for 12 to 15 minutes.
    I would also add something like 2 tsps chopped chives and perhaps 1/2 cup crumbled bacon...and I think you could add another T. of the cheese spread without any probl;ems.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

What about using that cheese in a corn muffin recipe?

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here's another possibility. What if you made a rye muffin, whole wheat or any savory muffin and followed the jam muffin method: a dollop of batter in the pan, a chunk of limburger in the center and another dollop of batter. Then you'd have "Limburger Surprise Muffins."

Here's a recipe from the Honey-Baked Ham site for a plain rye muffin, low on sugar. Just delete the Ham and Cheese and use the plain muffin batter.

Ham and Cheese Rye Muffins.

Epicurious has another delicious-sounding yeast-based rye muffin. Delete any flavor ingredients that don't seem compatible with the limburger.

Scandinavian Rye Muffins .

The filling in the center wouldn't have to be plain Limburger. You could do an Obatzda-type spread with any combination of Limburger, butter or cream cheese (about 3:1), milk if desired, paprika, dried or minced fresh onions, whatever.

I'm going to try that Epicurious recipe myself (though I'll skip the Limburger, LOL). I love rye and it sounds delicious.

I hope you let us know what you decide and how your new recipe turns out.

Carol

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks all for the great ideas!
    I'll have to try a corn muffin recipe with it for my son. (He prefers plain, simple things!)
    And I love the chives and bacon idea! Oh, not to mention the "Limburger Surprise Muffins"! That one may work better with the block style of Limburger!
    I'm thinking of also trying one with the Limburger and chopped/crushed pretzels...
    It may be a while before I get to make these (Things are so hectic around here atm! Maybe Memorial Day weekend...), but will let you all know how they turn out and how we like (or dislike) them!
    Thanks for all the help and if anyone can think of any other ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
    Thanks!
    Cathy

• ninelargec
    16 years ago

Another thing - try using the recipe search function over on Better Homes and Gardens website - you can search all of their recipes by keyword which is just amazing. I've gotten a lot of great new ideas from their site.

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6