Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: cheap breakfast food

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 07 at 18:11

The teachers asked me to do a breakfast for the PTA moms...only problem is that there are 25 members and the teachers want to give me 150.00...I need ideas as last year they paid 400.00 for a huge fancy spread but a number of tachers didnt want to chip in this year....how can I do this to make it cost effective for me...They refused a continental style breakfast so Im kinda stumped I hate to refuse the job but ....what can I do? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: cheap breakfast food

I would suggest biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs.
Are you going to have to decorate too?
Mellowdee

o

I make an Italian eggs casserole...I cook onions and green peppers...just cook them a little to soften....then I scramble eggs, keep them soft with a bit of milk...
And into a greased casserole layer the eggs, the slightly cooked veggies and grated chedder cheese...salt and pepper each layer...and refrigerate until time to pop into a 350 oven, with a foil cover to heat up.
Figure 1 1/2 eggs per serving. For 25 people, that's 2 dozen eggs in 2 8 by 11 dishes. Estimated costs $8 at most.
Then some sausages....either make your own patties or buy a ready made and cook....8 pounds ought to be well more than enough. Estimated costs $30 at most.
Fruit....a watermelon, hollowed out, decorativly cut, filled with white grapes, cantelope blue berries etc... Estimated costs, $25.
Breads and/or rolls....cinnamon rolls....you know how....costa for 25 perhaps $15?
So far we are at $80...with lots to spare...
You have $70 to do napkins, glasses, candy, nuts and bloody marys.
Easy-peasy!
Linda C

o

For 25 people and $150.00 I would do breakfast casseroles (probably three or four different kinds), fruit, muffins and juice. I would not do decorations or alcohol beverages (let the teachers do that if they want to.)

I wouldn't do it if I couldn't make a profit!

o

I've made these several times in regular-sized muffin tins. My daughter loves them! You can add just about anything in them. These would be good with muffins, a fruit tray, and juice like trixietx mentioned above. Maybe even with some kind of mini sausage rolls, or scones with honey butter!

Mini Frittatas Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Breakfast

Makes 40 mini frittatas.

Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray
8 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces thinly sliced ham, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray 2 mini muffin tins (each with 24 cups) with nonstick spray. Whisk the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt in a large bowl to blend well. Stir in the ham, cheese, and parsley. Fill prepared muffin cups almost to the top with the egg mixture. Bake until the egg mixture puffs and is just set in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittatas from the muffin cups and slide the frittatas onto a platter. Serve immediately.

o
cheap breakfast food

Here's more ideas I found. I've never tried these recipes but they sound very economical. I've included the link so you can see a picture of the dish. Hope this helps!

Breakfast Melon Ball Crunch
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=6935

Breakfast BLT
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=5977

Breakfast Club Sandwich
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=7898

Cardamon Coffee Cake
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=4668

o

I used this menu for Easter brunch. All the recipes are easy (lots can be done ahead of time)-it is also a very economical and elegant menu. If you care for any of the recipes-let me know.

Sausage and Egg Overnight Casserole
Strawberry and Spinach Salad
Cheese Grits
Rolls

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here