Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: recipe for fruit vinegars

Posted by kwputney (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 17:31

Does anyone have a recipe(recipes) for fruit vinegars? Pear or peach or a basic fruit recipe that could be adapted to use with other fruits? Thank you so much, I have trouble finding these to bu but they are so good on salads.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: recipe for fruit vinegars

I haven't actually tried this one, but I hope it's what you're looking for.

PEACH VINEGAR

INGREDIENTS:
2 ripe peaches (about 12 ounces total), peeled, pitted, and chopped
1 cup Japanese brewed rice vinegar, or a good distilled white vinegar with an acid content between 4 and 5 percent
3 Tablespoons sugar

PREPARATION:
1. Puree the peaches in a food processor, then pour the puree into a medium-size bowl. (There should be 1 cup of peach puree.)
Combine the vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a medium-size saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly syrupy, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir the vinegar mixture into the peach puree. Let cool.
3. Sterilize a 16-ounce bottle (or two 8-ounce canning jars). Sterilize the cap (or lid) according to the manufacturer's instructions or have ready a clean cork.
Skim the foam, if there is any, then strain the vinegar mixture through a fine sieve, pressing on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids.
4. Drain the bottle, then fill with the strained vinegar. Seal with a clean cork (or sterlized lid). Store in a cool, dry place or refrigerate.

Variation:
Mango-Passion Fruit Vinegar: for the peaches, substitute 3/4 cup mango puree plus the strained pulp of 1 large passion fruit (about 1/4 cup). Proceed with the recipe

o
RE: LOOKING for: recipe for fruit vinegars

I don't have a real recipe, though the site below has some good info. Basically you cover your fruit (add herbs if you like) with almost-boiling vinegar, let it sit for about three weeks and then strain it into a sterilized bottle. You can pop a few berries in for show (or a cinnamon stick, some lemon peel, maybe some mint, or some peppercorns...mmmm.)Our favorite is raspberries or huckleberries in white wine vinegar or rice vinegar. Orange with some peppercorns is yummy also. And lemon with tarragon...wonderful on fish. The possibilities are endless...have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Flavored Vinegars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here