Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

RECIPE: My Grandmother's Swedish Rye Bread (for bread machines)

gardener365
10 years ago

Hello, I'd like to share what my mom has been making for years from a recipe she reduced from her mothers Swedish Rye Bread Recipe:
Re-post from 2007: for reason being that water wasn't added to one of the steps:

Grandma Wongstrom's Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time : 4:00
Categories Breads

10 ounces water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup Brer Rabbit light molasses (she says non-light tastes the same but her mother says, "the non-light!" in a joking manner she said to me)
1/2 cup rye flour, 100% rye
2 3/4 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bread yeast

Place butter, salt, white sugar, molasses, and water in a glass bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. Remove, stir ingredients, and place in bread maker pan.

Place rye and white bread flour on top of liquids. Make a hole in center of flour and place the bread yeast in it. This part I don't understand because I was over and made a loaf and all we did was mix the rest of the ingredients together and toss them in the bread machine.

Set your controls for 1 1/2 pound loaf and medium crust (or whatever you prefer).

She had to order the rye flour from Hodgson Mills in Effingham, IL she says. She also references that, "it is difficult... to find in (our) local grocery stores."

It's really fantastic, so give it a try. She also waits two hours for it to cool.

Enjoy Please! You'll never want to eat anything else. Mom had a chunk with her homemade vegetable soup and said the experience was super!

Take care,

Dax

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz