Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: My Grandmother's Swedish Rye Bread (for bread machines)

Posted by gardener365 (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 17:18

Hello, I'd like to share what my mom has been making for years from a recipe she reduced from her mothers Swedish Rye Bread Recipe:
Re-post from 2007: for reason being that water wasn't added to one of the steps:

Grandma Wongstrom's Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 Preparation Time : 4:00
Categories Breads

10 ounces water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup Brer Rabbit light molasses (she says non-light tastes the same but her mother says, "the non-light!" in a joking manner she said to me)
1/2 cup rye flour, 100% rye
2 3/4 cups white bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bread yeast

Place butter, salt, white sugar, molasses, and water in a glass bowl and microwave for 90 seconds. Remove, stir ingredients, and place in bread maker pan.

Place rye and white bread flour on top of liquids. Make a hole in center of flour and place the bread yeast in it. This part I don't understand because I was over and made a loaf and all we did was mix the rest of the ingredients together and toss them in the bread machine.

Set your controls for 1 1/2 pound loaf and medium crust (or whatever you prefer).

She had to order the rye flour from Hodgson Mills in Effingham, IL she says. She also references that, "it is difficult... to find in (our) local grocery stores."

It's really fantastic, so give it a try. She also waits two hours for it to cool.

Enjoy Please! You'll never want to eat anything else. Mom had a chunk with her homemade vegetable soup and said the experience was super!

Take care,

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: My Grandmother's Swedish Rye Bread (for bread machin

THANKYOU!! I'm Swedish too and have always made my (and moms and grandmas) rye bread by hand but ill try this in the bread machine...looks the same. I can never wait very long when it comes out of the oven. I could eat the whole loaf!! And yes the rye flour is hard to find. When I go back home (Pittsburgh area) I buy it from a little hole in the wall place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here