Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

LOOKING for: How to make a pound cake from a box mix?

chery2
15 years ago

You know how some cake-mix boxes have a recipe on the back or side of the boxes for making a moister, firmer cake? Is there some kind of formula to follow? I'm esp. interested in making cakes that will turn out well when baked in a tube pan, like a pound cake. Just made my FIL's PINEAPPLE POUND CAKE, and I almost BLUSHED at the ingredients I was using!

I mean,

3 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

1 cup mayonnaise

8 eggs

1 cup crushed pineapple

3 cups flour

1 t. vanilla

1 t. lemon extract

pinch salt

is not that long a list for a cake, but Geez, Louise! How do you spell R-I-C-H? I made it for my sister-in-law from OR, who had it once before and thought my FIL should go into the business of selling his cakes!

If you're interested, the directions are these:

PREHEAT OVEN TO 3:25.

CREAM MAYO AND CRISCO AND SUGAR.

ADD EGGS ONE AT A TIME.

BLEND IN FLOUR, ONE CUP AT A TIME.

ADD CRUSHED PINEAPPLE, STIR IN EXTRACTS, AND TURN INTO A GREASED AND FLOURED TUBE PAN.

BAKE ONE AND A HALF HOURS.

It was done in exactly the given time. It did fall a bit as it cooled, which I hope won't change the flavor or texture. Brother and SIL due any minute now. It's 5:00, so they must've stopped for lunch. We'll grill out if DH gets home on time.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

Comments (6)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Even my best pound cake recipe isn't that rich! Whoa, nellie!

This is a very good, light cake that people love. I make it all the time.

Apricot Nectar Cake

* 1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
    * 1 cup Apricot Nectar
    * 1/2 cup sugar
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    * 4 eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
    * 2 Tbsp lemon juice
    * 2 Tbsp apricot nectar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together cake mix, 1 cup apricot nectar, sugar, oil and eggs.
    3. Beat on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
    4. Pour into prepared 10 inch tube or bundt pan.
    5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
    6. For the icing: mix together confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and apricot nectar.
    7. Stir and spoon over cake while cake is still warm.

You can find apricot nectar in the Hispanic foods section of most grocery stores. I would think you could use peach or mango nectar as a substitute.

This pic makes the cake look red, but, trust me, it isn't.

{{gwi:1519523}}

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

ROFL chery2!

Teresa, I think I'll have to try that one for our family reunion next month. Thanks.

• lindac
    15 years ago

A traditional pound cake calls for a pound of butter a pound of sugar a pound of eggs and a pound of flour....that's why it's called a pound cake. I can't really imagine a pound cake made with Crisco. Butter gives the cake a wonderful flavor.
    Linked below is a recipe for a traditional pound cake....rich? you bet? Delicious? for sure!!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional pound cake

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

There use to be a pretty good recipe for a pound cake on the back/side of the Duncan Heinz Yellow Cake mix.

• carolynvandivier_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have to make a pound cake for a wedding and she wants me to use cake mix how do I do that and is there a recipe for it??????????????????? help

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Basic Yellow Pound Cake - Anne Byrn, The Cake Doctor
    A cross between a Twinkie (sans cream filling) and a Sara Lee Pound Cake but better

Vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
    Flour for dusting the pan
    1 package (18.25 ozs) plain yellow cake mix
    1 package (3.4 ozs) instant vanilla pudding mix
    1 cup whole milk
    1 cup vegetable oil, such as canola, safflower, corn, soybean or sunflower
    4 large eggs

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325��F. Lightly mist 1 10-inch tube pan with vegetable oil spray then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pan aside.

2. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.

3. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 58 to 60 minutes for a tube pan. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a wire rack, then invert it again onto another rack so that the cake is right side up. Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes or more. Frost.

4. Store this cake, unfrosted, covered in aluminum foil, at room temperature, for up to 4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz