Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

LOOKING for: Lime dessert I remember from the 50s

lindakimy
17 years ago

I remember being taken along to "Ladies Luncheons" with my Mama back in the 1950s where the ladies would bring light dishes to share and eat together. (Picture little hats and white gloves!)

One that I remember was a dessert that must have been wildly popular back then - it was always there on the luncheon table! It had a crumb crust on the bottom and was served cut in squares that were about 2 inches or more tall and topped with a tiny sprinkling of the crumb mixture like the crust. I recall an intense lime flavor and a wonderfully light texture - like "whoosh" in your mouth.

For some reason I think it was made with evaporated milk and lime juice but I may have dreamed that.

Anybody remember or have this recipe?

Comments (22)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I seem to remember something like that that had graham crackers. It sounded like the one below which calls for chocolate crumbs but check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime Delight

• lindac
    17 years ago

Of course I remember!....but can't find the recipe!
    It had a graham cracker crust, filling of, if I am remembering...eggs, butter, lime juice and grated lime.....and seems to me whipped cream was folded in....the mix spread in a dish topped with more whipped cream and a sliver of lime,. twisted artistically...
    Light??? Yes indeedey-do!! LOL!
    I'll dig futher!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Here's another with pineapple that's made in 2 pie pans. I think your recipe would have been made in a 9x13" pan but check it out. It uses graham crackers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime Pineapple Dessert/Fluffy Green Stuff

• lindakimy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I'm awfully glad I'm not the only (ahem) middle aged lady who remembers that stuff! However...

No chocolate. And the fluffy stuff between the crumbs on the bottom and the few crumbs on top was perfectly consistent - no pineapple chunks...no marshmallows. Just fluff - of an oddly "whooshy" kind. Like trapped air. Surely someone has an ancient aunt or Mama who has that recipe buried in an old box somewhere?

Wish I had a week off from work to experiment.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

I remember a lemon one my mother used to make for her church gatherings!! She would put it in one of the ice trays without the ice cube frame.

• blizlady
    17 years ago

A lemon bisque recipe, but I'm sure lime jello can be substituted:

Lemon bisque]
    Categories: Desserts
    Yield: 10 Servings
    1 pk Lemon Jello
    2 ½ c Graham wafer crumbs
    4 tb White sugar
    4 tb Brown sugar
    2 tb Butter
    ¼ ts Cinnamon
    1 c Carnation milk very cold
    1 ea Lemon [grated rind & juice]i
    ¾ c Sugar
    Prepare jello and let set till like syrup. Prepare crumbs,sugar, brown sugar and butter by rubbing to-gether, set aside. Beat the can of Carnation milk till thick, add juice and rind of lemon, 3/4 c white sugar and add the jello. Spread half of crumbs in 13 x 10 1/2 pan, pour in jello mixture and put rest of crumbs on top. Refrigerate. Delicious!

• blizlady
    17 years ago

Lime Jello Bisque Salad
    A lime jello bisque from a governor's cookbook:

Bed and Breakfast, Country Inns, and Small Hotels on 1st Traveler's Choice

LIME JELLO BISQUE - Governor of Delaware

Ingredients
    1-1/2 cups applesauce
    1 package lime Jello gelatin
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 large can evaporated milk, chilled
    1 Tablespoon lemon juice
    Few drops green food coloring
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 Tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup ground walnuts
    12 cherry halves

Heat applesauce and sugar to boiling point; add gelatin. Let cool until stiff. Beat chilled milk until stiff. Add applesauce mixture, lemon juice, and food coloring. Mix cracker crumbs and butter. Line baking pan with cracker mixture. Pour into baking dish and top with ground walnuts and cherries. Refrigerate until set.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

My relatives are all dead. It sounds like a lime version of the recipe below which is a Milnot recipe. When you find it, post it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Fluff (Melts in your mouth)

• lindakimy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, my! There are some possibilities! A couple sound like they would be pretty close. And the others just sound delicious, too!

And I learned something new....never heard of Milnot before!!

Thanks!

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

A real popular brand of evaporated milk in the 50's. At least in the Midwest.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

I wrote to my Aunt and she sent back this recipe from one of her church cookbooks.... I image you could just substitute the Lime Jello and lime juice and zest:

I found a recipe in Wayne Church Cookbook. Lemon but sounds similiar
    LEMON DESSERT
    1 14 c boiling water
    1 can (1 2/3 c) evaporated milk, well chilled
    1 small pkg. lemon jello
    1/4 c sugar
    Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
    Combine first four ingredients and let cool until syrupy. Beat the evaporated milk to consistency of whipped cream. Fold in jello mixture. Line bottom of 9 x 13 pan with vanilla wafer crumbs. Pour mixture over. Sprinkle more crumbs on top.

• potpie
    17 years ago

I not only remember eating this, I remember helping to make it!

Our family did a different take on it. We just called it Fluff Dessert.

Basically, you take whatever flavor Jell-O you like. Lime is great! Make it according to directions, but don't let it get completely set. When it is not runny, but not totally firm, add it to either an envelope from a box of Dream Whip, or a regular carton of cool whip, or you can use a half pint of sweetened whipped cream. You can also whip up evaporated milk. You just need three to four cups of whipped topping or whipped cream.

Slowly add the jell-o into the whipped cream and keep whipping it. It will become whatever flavor/color you use. I like a layer of lime over a layer of cherry myself. So, it is thicker.

This is scooped into a 9x13 pan that has been prepped by making a graham cracker crust. The kind with sugar and butter and graham crackers that have been baked in it. it isn't crumbly, but sort of firm, and sweet buttery good.

After you have the jell-o whipped topping on top of the crust, you can sprinkle extra crust crumbles on top or not. You have to let it finish setting up in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving it.

One of my own tricks to do, because I like the cherry and lime combo is to add lime zest to my lime part and add tart pie cherries beaten into my cherry part.

One of the really good options if you like spirits is to use lady fingers as the crust and squish them together really tightly. Drizzle them with Triple Sec/Lime Juice/Honey then do a lemon lim jell-o with the lemon and lime zest, but when you make the jell-0, do the hot water part according to the directions and then do the cold water part NOT with water but with Tequila! I like the texture of cool whip with this one more than whipped cream. It is as light as a feather and nice after a Mexican dinner. Very potent too.

• chery2
    17 years ago

Probably not as light, but SO refreshing, and who can't love a 3-ingredient dessert? [Buy the graham crust.]

LIME (OR LEMON) PIE
    1 lg can frozen limeade [or BICARDI MIX!]
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 8 or 16 container of COOL WHIP

Mix all ingredients w/ electric mixer;
    Pour into graham crust;
    Freeze.

If you want to dress it up, sprinkle some lime zest and/or graham cracker crumbs on top.

(Ginger-snap crust is good, too, but hard to get out of pie plate once frozen.)

chery2

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

What a blast from the past! I remember that lime dessert and it did indeed make that "whoosh" sound when you ate it just like you ssaid, Lindakimy. I might just make this for my Bunco night next week.

Everyone is eating "lighter" these days and you can't find a dessert that is lighter than this one! LOL You could use sugar free jello and cool whip to lower the calories or for diabetics.

Teresa

• potpie
    17 years ago

Teresa! What a fab idea!!!

I wouldn't even need a graham cracker crust! I could use the diet jell-o and cool whip and serve it in parfait glasses and maybe do a little sprinkle of something on top to finish it off.

Talk about an awesome diet dessert!!!! Thanks!

• lindakimy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I hope hubby is in the mood for lime. He's going to be testing out a bunch of retro dessert recipes in the next month or so. LOL

Thanks, everybody, for your input!

• zann
    15 years ago

Well there are a lot of really close recipes.

My Grandmother made this recipe(since I wasnt even around in the 50's) but this was a family favorite.

We called that lime fluffy stuff
    Lime Sublime
    1 large pk lime Jello
    1/2 sugar
    2TBS lemon juice(could use lime)
    2 cups hot water

Mix above ingredients and refrigerate until like egg whites.
    pour 2cups canned milk into freezer trays partially freeze. whip when slightly frozen.
    (you can substitute 1 pk dream whip) make as directed.
    fold into Jello cream and pour over crumbs.

crumb mix
    2 cubes butter
    2 cups gram cracker crumbs
    2 cubs coconut(optional if you don't use double the gram cracker crumbs)
    put into the bottom of a 9x15 pan(9x13 works) cover top with remaining crumbs.

Hope you enjoy this recipe from the past

• cblankenship_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I remember we had it every Easter and my Mom would put oreos in the bottom of a 9x12 (whole cookies I think) and mix lime jello with the boiling water as usual but add a can of Borden's condensed milk, pour half of it over the cookies, add another layer of cookies, and the rest of the mixture and let it set over night in the fridge. Just before serving she would crush more oreos and sprinkle on top..Yes, it's from the 50's - early 60's in Ohio: )

• anotherlinda
    11 years ago

So neato to find this thread!

In the 50's, my mom used to make a delicious dessert, recipe from the Helm's Bakery Co. It was called "Frow-Frow". She made it in a 15"x10" glass pan, it had a sugar cookie or shortbread bottom crust - not graham cracker, though that sounds good too, and a sprinkling of same on top of the dessert. I thought she used evaporated milk (not condensed) and lime jello. The dessert was very light, sweet and tangy due to the lime jello.

• Cindy Shipp
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My mom use to make on too .. it was cream cheese cake.. it had graham crackers, lime jello and cream cheese.. a layer of graham crackers mixed with butter and milk to make the crust them mix the cream cheese, cool whip and lime jello spread it in the glass dish and then sprinkle the top with graham cracker yummy

• HU-829243210
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jello fluff pie my grandma and mom made was gram crust 1/4 cup lime juice cup sugar one can evaporated milk (frozen just before solid) and big box lime jello cooled but not set (can use other flavors) mixed on high till fluffy then put in fridge to set. So so good so so light and fluffy. Make sure the milk is icee almost frozen or it doesn't set right