Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arandygail

LOOKING for: white layer cake & seven minute icing

arandygail
14 years ago

My daughter has requested a layer cake filled with berries for her confirmation dinner on Friday night. So, I would like to do a white cake with a seven minute icing. However, I don't have a lot of success with either. I am hoping someone can help.

My requests:

I need a recipe for a moist white layer cake. Every time I try to make one it turns out dry.

Also, I need a recipe for seven minute icing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Gail

Comments (5)

• pat_t
    14 years ago

How about this one:

WHITE VELVET CAKE

4-1/2 large egg whites
    1 cup milk
    2-1/4 tsp. vanilla
    3 cups sifted cake flour
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1 Tblsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    12 Tblsp. (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (softened)

Grease & flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
    Preheat the oven to 350° F.
    In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
    In a large mixer bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter and remaining 3/4 cup milk. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed (high speed if using a hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surface with a spatula. The pans will be about 1/2 full. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center.
    Let the cakes cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a metal spatula and invert onto greased wire racks. Cool completely before frosting. Serves: 12.

Recipe by Rose Levy Berenbaum.

And here's the Seven Minute Icing Recipe I use:

SEVEN-MINUTE ICING

2 egg whites
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. light corn syrup
    1/3 cup cold water
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients except vanilla in top of double boiler. Blend ingredients on low speed until smooth. Cook over boiling water; beat continuously on high speed for 7 minutes or until mixture holds peaks. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes or until thick enough to spread.

A hint: to make your cake moist, brush it with simple syrup before icing it. This holds true for any layer cake.

Simple Syrup:

1 pint of water
    1 lb. of sugar

Combine the water & sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a full boil. Cook 1 minute. This will keep in the refrigerator for months.

• arandygail
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much. I never thought of the simple syrup idea. I will definitely try this.

• Nonnie_GA
    14 years ago

Adding instant vanilla pudding to your cake batter will also make the cake moist. They make so many flavors of instant puddings that there is one for almost any cake.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

My friend the cake expert substitutes yogurt for eggs (1/4 cup yogurt=1 egg) and it makes incredibly moist cake. If you need a very tall cake or you're making it into a complicated shape, it will be too moist to hold it's shape well, but if you're making a regular cake, it's awesome.

• Aiguo21
    13 years ago

I did about accept one affair during the action of this cake. When I was advancing the concoction it seemed to accept a cookie concoction consistency, which would be ok, if I didn't charge to bend in baffled egg whites. It was absolutely difficult to incorporate, pass4sure and I was afraid I had done something wrong. Whether I did or didn't doesn't amount anymore because the block angry out great. The block layers were not so fluffy, but it in fact counterbalanced out the ablaze frosting and the auto curd.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!