Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
june_2007

LOOKING for: Family Reunion

june_2007
15 years ago

I need a really drop dead recipe to take to a family reunion. Can anyone help please?

Comments (4)

• roselin32
    15 years ago

What kind of a dish are you looking for........main dish, salad, dessert????
    That info will help.

• june_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooooops, sorry, I should have given more information.

I need a really good main dish recipe. Our reunion is 8 June,2008

Thanks
    June

• annova914
    15 years ago

I've made this salad and it's beautiful & dramatic, arranged on a large platter. It also tastes great. I usually make my own Greek salad dressing to sprinkle over the salad. If I were taking this to a party, I'd probaby pack up an unpeeled avocado and some of the other toppings and do the final arrangements on the salad when I arrived. I use fat free President's brand feta as it's not so salty and pungent. You can omit the anvchovies :) Ann

Louis Pappas Famous Greek Salad
    From: Tampa Treasures Cookbook by The Junior League of Tampa
    This recipe comes from Louis Pappas Restaurant, family-owned and operated on Tarpon Springs' sponge docks since 1925. It's worth the time and trouble to make this festive salad for guests in your home. Serve it with bread as a complete lunch, or as a side salad with meat or seafood at dinner. This salad was featured on the cover of The Gasparilla Cookbook. Makes 4 main-dish servings

Potato Salad

6 boiling potatoes
    4 whole green onions, finely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
    1/2 cup whole green onions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 to 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar Salt to taste
    Greek Salad

1 medium head iceberg lettuce
    3 cups potato salad
    12 roka (Greek vegetable) leaves or 12 sprigs watercress
    2 ripe tomatoes cut into 6 wedges each
    1 cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 fingers
    1 avocado, peeled and cut in wedges
    Juice from 1/2 lemon
    4 (3" square) portions feta cheese
    1 green bell pepper, cut into 8 rings each
    4 canned beet slices
    4 large shrimp, cooked & peeled (I use more!)
    4 anchovy filets
    12 Greek olives
    12 Greek Salonika peppers (from a jar)
    4 to 8 radishes, cut into flowers
    4 to 8 whole green onions
    1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Oregano (I use fresh)

Make potato salad (makes 3 cups): Cook unpeeled potatoes in unsalted water until tender, about 20 minutes; cool until you can handle them. Peel potatoes; cut into chunks in large bowl. Sprinkle with vinegar and salt; add chopped green onions; toss. In small bowl combine parsley, sliced green onions, mayonnaise and salt. Add to potatoes; mix well.

Line large platter with outside lettuce leaves; mound potato salad in center. Shred remaining lettuce; place on top of potato salad; top with roka or watercress. Place tomatoes around the outer edge, with a few on top. Place cucumber wedges between tomatoes. Sprinkle lemon juice on avocado to prevent browning. Add avocado. Arrange feta on top of salad; place green pepper rings, beets, shrimp and anchovies on top of feta. Place olives, Salonika peppers, radishes and green onions around the edge. Sprinkle with vinegar, then oil. Sprinkle oregano on top; serve at once. Serve with toasted garlic bread.

• woodie
    15 years ago

This can easily be multiplied to feed the masses and made in advance - and although it's nice when the chicken is freshly grilled and sliced and still warm, its not necessary and is good at room temp too. It looks pretty with the veggies on a platter and the sliced chicken on top.

GRILLED CHICKEN CORN SALAD

4 Chicken breast halves, boneless and skinless, grilled and sliced diagonally

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon lime or lemon zest
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 (11 oz.) cans whole kernel corn, drained, or FRESH CORN IN SEASON
    1 (16 oz.) can black beans, rinshed and drained
    2 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
    1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat oil in heavy skillet. Add garlic and cook just until it sizzles. Add chili powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper, zest and juice. Mix well. Add corn and beans, mix well. Spoon mixture into large serving bowl, add chicken, tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Toss and serve immediately.

Or, place corn and beans mixture on a platter and arrange chicken, tomatoes and onions on top and sprinkle with cilantro.

6 servings

This lasagna is really good, thanks Scott!

Scott's Chicken Lasagne

9 Lasagna Noodles

1/4 cup butter/margarine
    8 oz/3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cups milk
    2 whole chicken breasts or equivalent, stewed and cubed
    1 cup of the liquid you cooked the chicken in
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    15 oz. carton ricotta cheese
    2 eggs
    3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
    8 oz/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook lasagne noodles, drain and rinse in hot water.

In large saucepan, melt butter, add mushrooms, garlic salt and lemon juice. Saute mushrooms unitl tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour; blend well. Add milk and chicken juice; cook over medium high heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken and 1/3 cup parsley.

Heat oven to 325. Mix Ricotta and parmesan cheese with beaten eggs. Layer 1/3 each noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce and broccoli (for the top layer I do the broccoli then the mozzarella on top). Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10-15 mnutes before serving.